Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-12-2023, 06:28 PM   #1
34fordy

Default What the heck is that?

I stopped in a local tire shop that has been here for at least 75 years. No one is over 50 years old and most under 30. I had a 1936-39 wide 5 rim in my hand. The oldest fellow was quick to expound on his great wisdom. "That is a Volkswagon wheel". It appears to me I will be dismounting and mounting tires. Maybe I will buy one of those HF changers and make an adapter. Always like a new project. Keeps me young (and sore) I guess. LOL
34fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 07:13 PM   #2
Reds34

Default Re: What the heck is that?

I believe that the old bugs did have the same bolt pattern as the wide fives. My neighbor has a trailer with a 36/37 rear end and VW wheels.

Red
Reds34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 07:21 PM   #3
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34fordy View Post
I stopped in a local tire shop that has been here for at least 75 years. No one is over 50 years old and most under 30. I had a 1936-39 wide 5 rim in my hand. The oldest fellow was quick to expound on his great wisdom. "That is a Volkswagon wheel". It appears to me I will be dismounting and mounting tires. Maybe I will buy one of those HF changers and make an adapter. Always like a new project. Keeps me young (and sore) I guess. LOL
I mounted a set of 17" a couple of years ago. I placed a heavy-duty plastic garbage bag over the rim. Pushed the tire down (by hand), inserted the tube, filled with a bit of air, then pushed the other bead down.
Remove the bag.
The first one took about 15 minutes. After that, I did the remaining four in about 45 minutes.
Old 02-12-2023, 07:28 PM   #4
34fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds34 View Post
I believe that the old bugs did have the same bolt pattern as the wide fives. My neighbor has a trailer with a 36/37 rear end and VW wheels.

Red
The VW bolt pattern was a couple inches smaller.
Old 02-12-2023, 07:51 PM   #5
tubman

I bought a cheap imported manual tire changer from Northern Hydraulics about 20 years ago. It is probably the same as the one HF sells. It took a bunch of modifications to work well, but I finally got it right and it turned out to be very useful.

It's very convenient to have your own machine; just be careful who you tell or you will have a constant stream of visitors.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 11:06 PM   #6
GB SISSON

I have an old Coates Tireman. All manual, but it makes the job almost effortless after doing so many on my knees with tire irons. I paid 80 bucks at the portland swap meet and it came with all the tools. On Thursday a couple of friends came by and used it as one guy wanted the tires, other the rims. For me living at the far end of a remote place, it's a social benefit as well. Mine won't do the dually offset wheels so Gonna try the Kube's garbage bag trick as I do them on the shop floor. Get us a pic of the wide 5 adapter when it's done.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 05:40 AM   #7
Mart

If you are making a wide 5 adaptor the Bolt circle is 10-1/4". I made one and thought it was 10" and wondered why the wheel wouldn't go on.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 07:27 AM   #8
richard crow

get an old front drum it can be held in a tire machine
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 09:19 AM   #9
alanwoodieman

my son works for firestone/bridgestone and they have a tire machine that clamps the rim, not the center-is uses a plastic shoe so it does not make the rim--also they have sort of a clamp system to break down the bead
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 11:04 AM   #10
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds34 View Post

Red
They did have a very similar looking rim early on
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 11:18 AM   #11
deuce_roadster

I bought a Coats 10-10 air operated machine for $80 at a swap meet from a guy who dismantled gas stations many years ago. He had a whole trailer load of them. Still works great and I bought a couple of plastic accessory tools for using on chrome or aluminum wheels. In this state, studs have to be off by April 1 so twice each year I hear from friends needing to switch. I told them to buy a pair of extra wheels and we won't have to dismount/mount/balance all the time!
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 02:58 PM   #12
slowforty

Remember to remove the studs, When preparing Road Kill.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 03:53 PM   #13
scooder

Quote:
I'm sure they can still change a tyre, even if they don't know what the wheel is off.
The machine they use doesn't know what the wheel came off.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 04:30 PM   #14
36and63

Speedway sells an adapter - I just gave my local tire shop mine to borrow when I had them do my wheels/tires on the 36.
it worked really well and they were able to use it to balance them too.

Pat
36and63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 04:40 PM   #15
34fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooder View Post
I'm sure they can still change a tyre, even if they don't know what the wheel is off.
The machine they use doesn't know what the wheel came off.
Martin.
Most "they" do not have the right equipment to hold the rim with such a large center hole. "They" do not have adapters to hold the wheel for balancing. That is why you have to come up with an adapter. The newer machines will hold the rim but not the balancers. IMHO
Old 02-13-2023, 05:35 PM   #16
Newc

Adapters were sold by Dick Spadro. The speedway ect. adapters have 5/8" lug studs for circle track wheels, but will work. Old topic here. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 09:54 AM   #17
51504bat

Easy way to determine if it's a VW or wide five wheel. A wide five will go over your head but a VW won't. Of course some heads may vary.
Old 02-14-2023, 03:05 PM   #18
GaryU.

34fordy, Have the Dick Spadaro adapter for you to use to use free of charge. My shipping to you at no charge and return to me on your dime. My new tires are are being mounted and balanced by my local guys this week. Always willing to help a fellow 'Barner.
GaryU. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 03:37 PM   #19
Fritz

Quote:
Most "they" do not have the right equipment to hold the rim with such a large center hole. "They" do not have adapters to hold the wheel for balancing. That is why you have to come up with an adapter. The newer machines will hold the rim but not the balancers. IMHO
Its true. When I owned early VWs, nobody could balance the wide five VW wheels. They could mount them, but not balance them.
Cars and metal rust away and are destroyed, but the Word of God will stand forever (Isaiah 40:8, Matthew 24:35).
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote