Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-07-2023, 11:09 PM   #1
Fordestes

Default Which model A Restoration book is best?

Which model A restoration book is best , I see there are several to choose from, also what is the valve spring free length an what is the installed height and the pressure at installed height, I have in stock some new old stock springs that measure 3.00" and the ones removed measure 2.826 " are the 3 " for a 60 H.P V8 or are the old springs collapsed .174" ? thanks everyone for all the help in the past. Fordestes
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 11:12 AM   #2
JayJay

Default Re: Which model A Restoration book is best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordestes View Post
Which model A restoration book is best , I see there are several to choose from, also what is the valve spring free length an what is the installed height and the pressure at installed height, I have in stock some new old stock springs that measure 3.00" and the ones removed measure 2.826 " are the 3 " for a 60 H.P V8 or are the old springs collapsed .174" ? thanks everyone for all the help in the past. Fordestes
Fordestes - I suspect that many would share my opinion that there is no one "best" Model A restoration book. However, one invaluable resource that anyone contemplating working on a Model A should have, and consult regularly, is what is affectionately known as the "Red Book", that is, Model A Ford Mechanics Handbook Volume 1 by Les Andrews. It is available from the Model A Ford Club of America (MAFCA, mafca.org) and most if not all of the Model A parts suppliers (e.g., Bert's. Snyder's, Bratton's, Mike's, Tam's, etc.)

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 11:44 AM   #3
31a

I agree the Ted book is a great tool to have.
31a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 11:46 AM   #4
31a

pardon my typing! Red Book
31a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 11:47 AM   #5
LeonardS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Fordestes - I suspect that many would share my opinion that there is no one "best" Model A restoration book. However, one invaluable resource that anyone contemplating working on a Model A should have, and consult regularly, is what is affectionately known as the "Red Book", that is, Model A Ford Mechanics Handbook Volume 1 by Les Andrews. It is available from the Model A Ford Club of America (MAFCA, mafca.org) and most if not all of the Model A parts suppliers (e.g., Bert's. Snyder's, Bratton's, Mike's, Tam's, etc.)

JayJay
I agree with this. Just make sure you update the errors in the book.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 02:52 PM   #6
MAG

The only books I needed were the Model A Restoration Guidelines & Judging Standards and the Service Bulletins. Too many errors in some of the other publications.
Old 02-08-2023, 03:11 PM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Changing the subject just a little, but can y'all imagine a time when we did not have any books to refer to?

The Service Bulletins have been around since back in the day as was the PPLs, but those were very scarce and far between. I don't even remember seeing those until the early 70's as they started being reproduced. About the only reference that I can remember was the national club(s) magazine coming once every couple of months, -or the treat for me as a kid was Dad & I taking a roadtrip to go see a fellow hobbyist's car to take notes on. Also, we took that Polaroid camera that developed right before your eyes. My job was to hold them until they had fully developed and dried so we could make sure the picture wasn't fuzzy.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 04:49 PM   #8
Synchro909

IMO,, the best one is Les Pearson's book. Maybe I'm influenced by the fact that it addresses the differences of RHD cars but I find it excellent apart from the index. Once you get your head around that, you won't look back.
Old 02-09-2023, 09:44 AM   #9
Dino's A

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
I agree with this. Just make sure you update the errors in the book.
Is there any online source available to get the corrections?
Dino's A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 10:03 AM   #10
LeonardS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino's A View Post
Someone will know if it’s available on this site. It is available at VFF.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 11:40 AM   #11
rotorwrench

Ford changed the valve springs and the valve guides during the production of the model A. The information is in the Service Bulletins. Not too long ago I purchased the digital disk version of these with model A and 1932 through 1937 cars. It has fairly good quality to the photos and illustrations and it easier for me to read than a book since it can be resized large enough to see for old duffers like me. Using the index to find the subject matter, the valve springs change is on page 484. It lists the old springs as 2 15/16" and the new ones to be 3 7/16" free height. Who knows what happened to them after production stopped for the 200 CID 4-cylinder types like the A & B cars and trucks used.

I have Les's book to use as a service manual but I have been purchasing the "How to Restore" series of books as they are released by MAFCA. They just came out with volume 10 so I need to get that one now. The price from MAFCA is $16 per volume on the old ones now days but the latest one is higher. I started purchasing them a long time ago when they were a bit less. MAFCA has a listing of each book with a table of contents for each if a person wants to purchase a specific volume only to cover parts or particular body types covered. Model A parts sources also carry them and may have different pricing. They come up on Amazon in a used category now and then. MAFCA also has body specific books that may be worth looking into. I think they have the first 50-years of the "The Restorer" magazines all on a thumb drive now with untold amount of information. This is what they based their series of books on. MARC has the Judging Standards which are a must have for the purist. They also have the "Technically Speaking" series of booklets.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 02-09-2023 at 05:00 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 11:55 AM   #12
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
I think they have the first 50-years of the "The Restorer" magazines all on a thumb drive now with untold amount of information. This is what they based their series of books on.
I bought that recently and I've been converting the entire archive into searchable PDFs (it comes as simple images). Quite a resource to have.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 01:32 PM   #13
ModelA29

To paraphrase Paul Shinn - You need the Les Andrews Red Book and you want the Restoration guidelines and judging standards book.

The RG & JG is published jointly by MARC and MAFCA so I'd consider it the authority for both clubs.

The MAFCA "How to Restore" are copies of articles from the Restorer so if you buy the flash drive you'll have the first 50 years - but you'll need to sort the articles you need yourself. - I also understand an update is in the works for the flash drive - since there is now another 17 years of back issues.

NOTE: MAFCA has the judging sheets online for each of the classes. I could not find them for MARC but they do offer a separate judging standards book for their touring class $15.
https://www.mafca.com/v_sheets.html
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 12:58 AM   #14
Fordestes

Thank all, also thanks Rotor wrench for the spring specs. I have some new old stock ford springs that are a little longer than the originals I took out. I assumed they are for a model A cause they were in the same box with the N.O.S valve guides, thanks for all the help. Fordestes
Old 02-12-2023, 01:05 AM   #15
Fordestes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Ford changed the valve springs and the valve guides during the production of the model A. The information is in the Service Bulletins. Not too long ago I purchased the digital disk version of these with model A and 1932 through 1937 cars. It has fairly good quality to the photos and illustrations and it easier for me to read than a book since it can be resized large enough to see for old duffers like me. Using the index to find the subject matter, the valve springs change is on page 484. It lists the old springs as 2 15/16" and the new ones to be 3 7/16" free height. Who knows what happened to them after production stopped for the 200 CID 4-cylinder types like the A & B cars and trucks used.

I have Les's book to use as a service manual but I have been purchasing the "How to Restore" series of books as they are released by MAFCA. They just came out with volume 10 so I need to get that one now. The price from MAFCA is $16 per volume on the old ones now days but the latest one is higher. I started purchasing them a long time ago when they were a bit less. MAFCA has a listing of each book with a table of contents for each if a person wants to purchase a specific volume only to cover parts or particular body types covered. Model A parts sources also carry them and may have different pricing. They come up on Amazon in a used category now and then. MAFCA also has body specific books that may be worth looking into. I think they have the first 50-years of the "The Restorer" magazines all on a thumb drive now with untold amount of information. This is what they based their series of books on. MARC has the Judging Standards which are a must have for the purist. They also have the "Technically Speaking" series of booklets.
Can you tell me what the installed height is supposed to be, and the pressure at installed height? my springs are 3.00 free length, appreciate it.
Old 02-12-2023, 05:56 AM   #16
ndnchf

I agree that no single book is all you need. The Red book is a good starting point, followed by the tech bulletins anf Les Pearson's manual. The RG&JS doesn't tell you how to do things, but does tell you what is correct.

Noting and making pen & ink corrections to the Red book is important. Due to an ongoing feud, linking to it is prohibited. But they can be found there u der the model A forum, miscellaneous information sub-forum.
ndnchf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 08:35 AM   #17
rotorwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordestes View Post
Can you tell me what the installed height is supposed to be, and the pressure at installed height? my springs are 3.00 free length, appreciate it.
With so many restoration and high performance parts manufactured since 1934 or so, the valve springs are more of a mystery now than they ever were during production. This is a good thread on the subject. It illustrates differences between stock type valves and aftermarket performance oriented stuff. Installed height changes with the difference between old worn valve seats and new replacement seats but installed height can be manipulated to achieve different goal with shims.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...8834&showall=1
Old 02-12-2023, 10:47 AM   #18
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino's A View Post

Try this link.

http://www.gwcmodela.com/pdfs/Errors...ws%20Books.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 01:36 PM   #19
frank55a

There is another "Red Book" (written by Victor Pag'e) and is being reprinted as a light blue book. This first Red Book was first published in 1928 and revised every year thru 31. The original was a little hard to find back in the early 60's but even then it was reprinted. I got my first copy in 1963. There are many good books out there but I still believe this first red book is a must for people that have no background with an A. It was originally commissioned by Ford as an owners service manual for the owner to make repairs and perform service to keep their A running if they couldn't get their A to the Dealer. In one way or another I believe most of the other books are based on this book but with more enhancements. The important thing with this book it will help you understand how the A is supposed to operate.

Another very good book is "Model A Ford the Gem from the River Rouge" by Murry Fahnestock. This will not tell you how to repair anything but will tell you how and why things were designed and built the way they were. Between this book and the first red book if you understand how and why the A is supposed to operate you can self-diagnose most any problem you may encounter.

You may also want to consider the diagnostic chart "Location of Ford Engine Troubles Made Easy" by Victor Pag'e. The chart is available on this web site and from most dealers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1929 VP Book001.jpg (64.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 1929 VP Book003.jpg (25.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 1929 VP Book002.jpg (66.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Chart1FB.jpg (125.0 KB, 16 views)
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 05:52 PM   #20
rotorwrench

I'm sure all the guys that worked at Ford back in the 30s are pretty much gone now but a lot of them were still around when the clubs first started to organize. Their information is still invaluable for restoration of these types.