Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-11-2017, 07:39 PM   #1
aermotor

Default Voltage regulator

I google searched Fun Projects Model a regulator and find it interesting but was unable to get any response as to cost, further details etc. Anyone know of a vendor or link for more information?

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:57 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: Voltage regulator

Here you go http://www.funprojects.com/search.as...ytype=category

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:15 AM   #3
aermotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post

Thanks Bob, Does anyone have comments good or bad?

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:47 AM   #4
lindy williams

I've had one of his regulators for nine years and 11k miles. works great! follow the directions
lindy williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:49 AM   #5
lindy williams

I've had one of his regulators for nine years and 11k miles, works well, no problems.
Follow rhw directions
lindy williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:25 AM   #6
JOHN CT

Fun projects is a great company to deal with. I've purchased many of my model t parts from John Regan the owner. He stands behind his Products. Answers all of your questions 24/7 if you have any questions.
JOHN CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:37 AM   #7
jhowes

I have not had the same experience as john ct. The fun regulator works fine as long as you don't make the mistake of polarizing the generator because it blows the regulator somehow. This happened to me after several years of use and i cannot get a response from the fun organization to see how to get it fixed or to fix it myself. I have been using tom wesenburg's (sp) voltage regulator that is mounted inside the generator and seems more bullet proof. I believe they cost about the same in the 80-90 dollar region. Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:20 PM   #8
stouchton

I've had one for a couple years - I like it and it works. It shunts the field to ground to cease output, so you cannot connect the battery to the opposite side of the regulator to polarize the generator (establish residual magnetism of correct polarity). Instructions say to disconnect it of course to do this.

Would not hesitate to recommend to friends and enemies alike!
stouchton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:48 PM   #9
Ray64

I use Tom Wesenberg"s and love it 5 yrs no prob.
Ray64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:15 PM   #10
eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowes View Post
I have not had the same experience as john ct. The fun regulator works fine as long as you don't make the mistake of polarizing the generator because it blows the regulator somehow. This happened to me after several years of use and i cannot get a response from the fun organization to see how to get it fixed or to fix it myself. I have been using tom wesenburg's (sp) voltage regulator that is mounted inside the generator and seems more bullet proof. I believe they cost about the same in the 80-90 dollar region. Jack
I've had one that I bought from Macs years ago. Works great but what you did is expressly declared a no-no in the included directions. You can't expect the manufacturer to stand behind a product that you wrecked. Another way you can destroy a regulator is by not setting up the third brush properly. Directions included give step by step setup. Very easy to do. I drive a lot at night so its really nice having a regulator. No dead or cooked batteries anymore.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:33 AM   #11
jhowes

eagle, I am not trying to blame anyone for my mistakes but time had passed and instructions lost, so when I had my generator rebuilt I thought I had to polarize. Meanwhile John Reagon has contacted me and it sounds like good service is available, most Model A venders are of this quality and I am grateful. Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:03 AM   #12
eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowes View Post
eagle, I am not trying to blame anyone for my mistakes but time had passed and instructions lost, so when I had my generator rebuilt I thought I had to polarize. Meanwhile John Reagon has contacted me and it sounds like good service is available, most Model A venders are of this quality and I am grateful. Jack
Re reading my post I see it comes across accusatory. Sorry for that. My point was meant to be this only: it's important for the OP to follow the directions if he buys the voltage regulator. Anytime you add electronics to these old cars, it adds a level of fragility to the system that was anything but fragile.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:33 AM   #13
wrndln

I sure seems like in this day and age of electronics, the maker of the voltage regulator would add something that would prevent the regulator from being ruined if the generator terminals are shorted. This is such a common thing to do on model A's (polarize the system) it seems like Fun Projects would add something to prevent the regulator from being messed up if shorted. Just my take.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:47 AM   #14
H. L. Chauvin

Have had a Fun Projects Model A voltage regulator for 10 years with no problems. It kept my same battery going for the same 10 years and both are still working fine. Mr. Regan told me if it ever quit working, send it back to him because it can be repaired.

I also do about 50% night driving ..... voltage regulators do not need the recommended night/day generator charging adjustments like for that recommended for cut-outs to avoid overcharging a battery or losing battery fluid with overcharging battery fluid boiling.

Installation instructions are plain, simple, and easy to follow; however, if one ever loses his/her Fun voltage regulator instructions, one can download same from the Fun website.

Have absolutely no doubts Mr. Tom W.'s regulator also works extremely well after so many positive review reports and no complaints from Model A owners.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 06-13-2017 at 10:49 AM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote