Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-27-2016, 07:08 PM   #21
roadster36
BANNED

Default Re: Looking at buying a 33 five window coupe all ford metal.

Listen to TJ. He has it right. Wisdom comes with age
I have no way of knowing if the frame is useable as it is but that style is outdated. 33/34's are getting harder to find. That said, if you do you homework and spend some time you can still find quality cars for decent money. If you do a lot of the work on this car yourself I would think that you will be into it for close to 50K. Materials prices are getting outrageous.
All I look at these days are 34 Ford's and I have seen some super nice cars sell in the mid 40's completely done, and some really well done project cars that were 75% dome in the high 20's.A very nice 34 3-W was just purchased by a neighbor for mid 40's and it is a super car. A very nice '34 2 door sedan just sold on here in the mid 20's.
I would pass in this one, I have built many and came to realize that the numbers do not add up.
Keep in mind that the prices on these do seem to be coming down as the economy tanks again.
I tell people who are looking to build a car such as this to think long and hard.When I go over all that is required and the costs in time and $$ they usually come around.
I would tell you the same thing that I often tell them. If you want a car, buy one done or close to it. If you can't afford it then get a loan and buy one at the right price. If you change your mind later on you can sell it and break even or perhaps make a few bucks. Put a value on your time and you will see the light.
I was recently offered a '33 roadster project at a "nice" price but declined because in the end it would be a 80-90K investment. You can buy them done for 60K. Good luck.

Last edited by roadster36; 01-27-2016 at 07:30 PM. Reason: ..
roadster36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:59 AM   #22
kcode

Well I'm digging up an old thread on this 33 five window. I have made a deal to buy the car in a few weeks. I think that he has a lot of money and parts invested in the car. I am going to look at selling the frame under it and maybe try and use the stock frame. I may also sell the extra grill, or make it wall art.

He has all the original fenders and running boards and they are in good shape. Is there a problem with using the 347 stroker engine and Tremec five speed? I plan on putting another firewall in, and new floors. I will also repair the rockers. Everything else is in good shape. I will go over again in a week or so and look it over again. Is there anything specific I should look for? Thanks
kcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:21 AM   #23
uncle buck

There is no problem using a 347 and 5 speed but it is frowned upon here
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:51 AM   #24
Digger

For a car like this, don't count the money, it will make you crazy By the time you finish it.
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:56 AM   #25
kcode

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle buck View Post
There is no problem using a 347 and 5 speed but it is frowned upon here
How come this is frowned upon? Should I be using an original flathead engine? I love fatheads, but I think this 347 would be fun.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:14 AM   #26
Bored&Stroked

The reason it is frowned upon is that this is a site for vintage cars - probably the less hot-rodded the better. The sister site 'Jalopy Journal - HAMB' tends to be for guys building more of the hotrodded versions - but even that group loves to see engines that are pre-60's in many cases.

There is no problem putting a modern 347 stroker and Tremec in it - always a good combination and cheap to build - it comes down to what type of car do YOU want in the end? You're buying somebody else's project - not a complete original and unmolested car - take it any direction you want (but be clear with yourself as to what result you want and the time/money you're willing to put into it). It will cost 3 times what you think and take 3 times as long to do - at least! (and I'm being conservative).

You'll have lots of time and money in it - make it what you want and enjoy it. Now - if you put a flathead back in it . . . us Ford Barners would love it all the more. LOL
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:23 AM   #27
kcode

The 347 crate engine comes with it as does the five speed. I think I would be much deeper into a flathead engine and transmission.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:48 AM   #28
Cool Hand Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcode View Post
How come this is frowned upon? Should I be using an original flathead engine? I love fatheads, but I think this 347 would be fun.

This is the "Early V8 (1932-53)" forum. That is what we like to talk about. You would find more useful information on a street rodder site.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:45 AM   #29
TJ

Quote:
Well I'm digging up an old thread on this 33 five window. I have made a deal to buy the car in a few weeks. I think that he has a lot of money and parts invested in the car. I am going to look at selling the frame under it and maybe try and use the stock frame. I may also sell the extra grill, or make it wall art.

He has all the original fenders and running boards and they are in good shape. Is there a problem with using the 347 stroker engine and Tremec five speed? I plan on putting another firewall in, and new floors. I will also repair the rockers. Everything else is in good shape. I will go over again in a week or so and look it over again. Is there anything specific I should look for? Thanks
Just curious how much you are going to pay for the car. I wish you luck in selling that frame. You might get lucky and find somebody that wants to use it for drag car. Does a stock frame come with the car? If a stock frame comes with it, the deal looks better than it did in the beginning. Make sure all the garnish moldings and the dash are with the car. Check for the windshield frame, window regulators(doors and back window), door latches, and deck lid latch. Does it have the gas tank and the metal gas tank cover? Does it have the original headlights, taillights and the correct headlight and taillight stands? Does it have the bumpers and brackets? are there any aftermarket parts with the car? Lots to consider with this project, so proceed slowly. Some of the key parts I have listed can be difficult to find and could stall your project. Make sure they come with the car.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:21 PM   #30
kcode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Just curious how much you are going to pay for the car. I wish you luck in selling that frame. You might get lucky and find somebody that wants to use it for drag car. Does a stock frame come with the car? If a stock frame comes with it, the deal looks better than it did in the beginning. Make sure all the garnish moldings and the dash are with the car. Check for the windshield frame, window regulators(doors and back window), door latches, and deck lid latch. Does it have the gas tank and the metal gas tank cover? Does it have the original headlights, taillights and the correct headlight and taillight stands? Does it have the bumpers and brackets? are there any aftermarket parts with the car? Lots to consider with this project, so proceed slowly. Some of the key parts I have listed can be difficult to find and could stall your project. Make sure they come with the car.
Thanks for the info on what to look for. I know the window regulators and windshield frame are with it. The front and back bumpers are already redone as is the grill. It comes with an extra front grill. It does come with the stock frame (car was complete). Not sure about the gas tank stuff. Will have to check on the lights too. All the garnishes and moldings are there. The dash is there. The original fenders are in good shape and the running boards look decent.

It comes with the custom frame, crate 347 stroker motor, new in box Temec five speed. Tons of other parts too.

He is asking 20k
Old 10-29-2016, 12:29 PM   #31
expavr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored&stroked View Post
the reason it is frowned upon is that this is a site for vintage cars - probably the less hot-rodded the better. The sister site 'jalopy journal - hamb' tends to be for guys building more of the hotrodded versions - but even that group loves to see engines that are pre-60's in many cases.

There is no problem putting a modern 347 stroker and tremec in it - always a good combination and cheap to build - it comes down to what type of car do you want in the end? You're buying somebody else's project - not a complete original and unmolested car - take it any direction you want (but be clear with yourself as to what result you want and the time/money you're willing to put into it). It will cost 3 times what you think and take 3 times as long to do - at least! (and i'm being conservative).

You'll have lots of time and money in it - make it what you want and enjoy it. Now - if you put a flathead back in it . . . Us ford barners would love it all the more. Lol
well said!!!!
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:54 PM   #32
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks for the info on what to look for. I know the window regulators and windshield frame are with it. The front and back bumpers are already redone as is the grill. It comes with an extra front grill. It does come with the stock frame (car was complete). Not sure about the gas tank stuff. Will have to check on the lights too. All the garnishes and moldings are there. The dash is there. The original fenders are in good shape and the running boards look decent.

It comes with the custom frame, crate 347 stroker motor, new in box Temec five speed. Tons of other parts too.

He is asking 20k
It looked like a good deal to me on the original post and with the additional parts you are listing even better!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:43 PM   #33
Bored&Stroked

Buy it will yah! It looks like a solid deal and you'll have stuff to sell if you won't want to use various items.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:48 AM   #34
kcode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Buy it will yah! It looks like a solid deal and you'll have stuff to sell if you won't want to use various items.
I am lol I can pick it up in a couple weeks. I hope to recoup some of my money on the extra parts and frame.

Last edited by kcode; 10-30-2016 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-30-2016, 01:13 PM   #35
Newc

hi all; Very interesting thread. I wouldn't sell my ex-race car '34 5 window project for $20k! These bodies are Hard to find now. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote