Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-02-2017, 03:00 PM   #1
Senior Tim

Default Mitchell Overdrive

I have owned several Model A's over the years, but I have never had one that had an overdrive. Recently I purchased a 1930 Cabriolet with a Mitchell overdrive. I figured out how it worked, and I was happy. The car was not driven for six months, and when I attempted to use it, it backed out of the garage, but I could not get it to go into any forward gear. By putting the overdrive into a neutral position I was able to roll the car back into the garage. If the overdrive is in low or high, and the gearshift is in neutral, you cannot roll the car at all because it seems like the Mitchell gearbox is locked up. If you start the car with the clutch in, the engine will bogg down as you try to release the clutch. Does anyone have an idea what is wrong?
Thanks for any help you can give.
Senior Tim
Senior Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 03:46 PM   #2
supereal

Default Re: Mitchell Overdrive

If the shifter is properly adjusted, it must be an internal problem. then a call to Mitchell Manufacturing is due. Their number is 800-859-2088.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 03:55 PM   #3
Tom Endy

Quote:
Originally Posted by supereal View Post
If the shifter is properly adjusted, it must be an internal problem. then a call to Mitchell Manufacturing is due. Their number is 800-859-2088.

This is good advise. Make sure that the shift lever will move the rod protruding from the overdrive housing to both extremes. There is an adjustment available that will accomplish this. Make sure the slot cut into the floor board is not restricting the shift lever.

But first, make sure the oil level in the case is at the proper level. There is a port on the side and one at the top. You can fill the case from either port. The trick is to have the oil level even with the bottom of the port on the side.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:11 PM   #4
MAG

Don't overlook the possibility that the transmission could be locked between reverse and a forward gear. Test:. Put Mitchel in neutral. Push in clutch. Start engine. Slowly release clutch. If engine bogs down the transmission is locked in 2 gears.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:30 PM   #5
Railcarmover
BANNED

Doesn't look like you can hang it up...or bend the forks...maybe the fork slid on the shaft,but Id bet Mitchell designed where it cant catch both gears.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 02:13 AM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post

Doesn't look like you can hang it up...or bend the forks...maybe the fork slid on the shaft,but Id bet Mitchell designed where it cant catch both gears.
I was thinking the same thing, and my first thought was the tranny is in two gears at the same time.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:00 PM   #7
Railcarmover
BANNED

Putting the overdrive into neutral and rolling it back into the garage pretty much clears the rear end and overdrive unit..I'm with Tom,Id pull the transmission shift tower and take a look.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:02 PM   #8
Senior Tim

Thanks for all of the responses. In digging into the transmission with some car buddies we determined that the transmission is a Mitchell transmission that was installed when the Mitchell overdrive was installed. The transmission came with a two-piece gear shift shaft that was threaded together. It was impossible to keep the connection tight, and the folks at Mitchell surmised that that was the cause of our issues. I had the shaft welded together and my problems went away!
Senior Tim is offline   Reply With Quote