Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-09-2018, 03:06 PM   #121
Carbroke

Default Re: 1935-36 pickup restoration book

Tangled,

Thanks for the trip to the past. Interesting read.

Still, much has changed in the 7 years since the BOD made their dastardly move to kill the information brought forth by Jerry and Lawson. I say dastardly because of the complete lack of cooperation and backroom decisions exhibited by them.

How different is the club officer roster in 2018 as opposed to 2011? Might a change of heart on their part allow a finish to this book? At least an open discussion with the two authors could be done; a re-examination of costs to complete since the publishing world is now so dramatically different today.

Were it me in Jerry and Lawson's spot though, I think I would salute them with my mid-most finger and go on about my business.

In the meantime, with a complete lack of authoritative restoration info, I think I'm just gonna go buy a bunch of hardware at Home Depot and put it back together by whatever means I can. All new shiny hardware from china. Seems fitting. Ford always liked a good deal when he could find it.
Carbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:48 PM   #122
jerry grayson

lawson and I have health issues and would be unable to do much research.
also we sent all of our research and a rough beginning of the 35-36 pickup book to Don
Rogers some time ago. I have not talked to Don in a long time, so I don't know what
his plans for the stuff are.
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:15 PM   #123
Lawson Cox

I'm with Jerry on this.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:19 AM   #124
36Bill

Jerry and Lawson, thank you for all that you have done, I wish you well and I'm sorry you were treated poorly.

Bill
Old 05-03-2018, 07:16 AM   #125
bobfrev

I have one i am working on right now, why not just publish it yourself? I know several people that have written and published their pwn books and sold through Amazon, etc, with the internet and social media, its very easy today for anyone to publish small run books on any subject
bobfrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:16 PM   #126
Jeff/Illinois

With over 11,000 hits on this thread I'd say there is plenty of interest in this project.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:14 PM   #127
Clem Clement

Can we do a "Wikipedia- effort? Post what we have and let each of us contribute what we know. A book in progress on line so to speak???
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:12 PM   #128
35 v8

I started the restoration on my 1935 pickup about a month ago. I really need good references. This sounds like it would be ideal. My father bought this pickup from the original owner in 1959 because he was 85 and had decided to give up driving. Cost $150. After three years of it being used as grease wagon on the farm the engine froze up. I was a high school senior and joined an auto club and put a 46 engine with a 53 merc crank three stombergs. At that point mileage was 19,000. Joined the Navy for 24 years. During this time it was stolen off the farm. Where it passed through several hands. In 2006 I was informed that someone had just purchased a truck that sounded like mine. Checked it out and the guy agreed to sell it to me for $800. During the years it was gone several people tried to take it apart the engine was torn down and the merc crank was missing and all of the goodies. Unfortunately people had used a smoke wrench on the bolts holding fenders, which messed up the sheet metal some what. Bottom line there a lot of things I need to learn. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
35 v8
35 v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:30 PM   #129
35 v8

I started the restoration on my 1935 pickup about a month ago. I really need good references. This sounds like it would be ideal. My father bought this pickup from the original owner in 1959 because he was 85 and had decided to give up driving. Cost $150. After three years of it being used as grease wagon on the farm the engine froze up. I was a high school senior and joined an auto club and put a 46 engine with a 53 merc crank three stombergs. At that point mileage was 19,000. Joined the Navy for 24 years. During this time it was stolen off the farm. Where it passed through several hands. In 2006 I was informed that someone had just purchased a truck that sounded like mine. Checked it out and the guy agreed to sell it to me for $800. During the years it was gone several people tried to take it apart the engine was torn down and the merc crank was missing and all of the goodies. Unfortunately people had used a smoke wrench on the bolts holding fenders, which messed up the sheet metal some what. Bottom line there a lot of things I need to learn. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
35 v8
35 v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:42 AM   #130
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry grayson View Post
lawson and I have health issues and would be unable to do much research.
also we sent all of our research and a rough beginning of the 35-36 pickup book to Don
Rogers some time ago. I have not talked to Don in a long time, so I don't know what
his plans for the stuff are.

Bummer, I hope you both are doing well! Thank you!

Printing something that maybe incomplete is better then not. It can always be amended. Anyone talked to Don?

Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:14 PM   #131
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Don was last on the Barn today at 3:47am, so should be able to ask him directly.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:58 PM   #132
DavidG

Your best and only hope for the existing material on '35-'36 pickups, which I understand is incomplete as it stands and has not been completely verified against Ford's archival records, to be printed by the Club is for Don to include it in an revision of the existing '35-'36 book. Only Don can speak to the odds of that happening.

In all of the hand wringing on this subject I have yet to see anyone raise their hand to volunteer to take on completing what Jerry and Lawson have developed. Further, as always, there are two sides to every story and this thread from the very beginning has been an airing of only one side.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote