Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-09-2024, 06:04 PM   #1
Terry, NJ

Default I'm Back!

Well guys, I'm back! And I have a problem which I will elaborate on later tonite. The missus is making supper and it won't be long. I can't recall when I dropped off, but I'm sure it was months ago. Around the time my daughter #3, moved to Tennessee and we we down to give her and her husband a little help. I also bought them an old Craftsman 25 HP mower to mow their 2 acres with. That being done. I returned to Pa, To some unexpected repairs on my rentals that needed my attention. Only two be followed the once, tri yearly official inspections and it was time for a renovation in one apartment. Foolish me, I do most of the work my self. But God! the prices they charge! Yikes! $1500 for a 50gal HW heater. I pay about $500 for the unit at Lowes probably $400 with plumber's discount. Putting H W heaters in is child's play so I do my own! My wife helps me get them down the stairs. This july, Ill be 80 yo, I'm wondering about next year when I'll be older. I've had a couple of physical scares like a mild stroke a number of months ago and one night a couple of weeks back when I couldn't get back to sleep after a midnight bathroom trip. My chest was on fire and there were pains shooting pains down my arms. It wasn't what it sounded like, but it was scary as hell. Now, I'm an Omega3 junky and I cut out all greasy foods except Bacon on the weekends and so sausage. No more cheese and hamburgers, chuck steaks. So you see that my time has been occupied with health and business matters .
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 06:57 PM   #2
nkaminar

Default Re: I'm Back!

Welcome back.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 07:12 PM   #3
Smokedtires

Welcome back to the barn!
Smokedtires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 07:17 PM   #4
jg61hawk

Being from NJ I did notice your absence ...but being from NJ I just assumed you got WHACKED! I decided not to ask questions I did not want answered. HHAAA Welcome back, glad you are ok.
jg61hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 03:00 PM   #5
Terry, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg61hawk View Post
Being from NJ I did notice your absence ...but being from NJ I just assumed you got WHACKED! I decided not to ask questions I did not want answered. HHAAA Welcome back, glad you are ok.
Ha Ha ! Got whacked , huh! Thanks for jersey welcome, Ha ha Made me feel right at home!
Terry
Old 02-10-2024, 03:06 PM   #6
Cool Hand Lurker

Gotta be the skin-on-sausage. Highest source of cholesteral. Need more beer. I am 85 now so I know everything. Except I keep falling over now. Gotta cut down on the beer.
Youngun's have no clue how life changes at 80. Just keep turning right until you start to recognize things. Whoops, forgot the question.....
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 03:09 PM   #7
Marshall V. Daut

"I'm back!"

Were you gone???? Ha, ha, ha! Welcome back, Terry, and we hope your health problems are a thing of the past, like our cars. Your comments and expertise have been missed. Don't let it happen again!
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 06:48 PM   #8
marty in Ohio

Yep. Just turned 75. I've found that old age is not for sissies !
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 07:45 PM   #9
Marshall V. Daut

Marty -
I'll find out next month if you are right about old age and that sissy part (also turning 75 - it'll be a S-L-O-W turn!).
Marshall
Old 02-10-2024, 10:58 PM   #10
Terry, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty in Ohio View Post
Yep. Just turned 75. I've found that old age is not for sissies !
Marty
Marty, et al. I made the unconcious decision that I was not gonna let my life go like that. I Also cut and split my own firewood, do my own oil changes, do many (not all) of my tire changes and balancing. Bear in mind i'm not very big, just 5' 6/7"tall and 155 lbs. And at age 15, I had a spinal fusion operation for Scoliosis. This last week I spent about 3 hours a day cutting, loading, and splitting firewood. I quit when my chest gets a little sore. Pushing it any further could be stupid and fatal. But if it was only 20 minutes a day, I would do it. I think it does me a lot of good.
Terry
Old 02-10-2024, 11:41 PM   #11
700rpm

I’ll be 79 on 4/3/24. There’s no question this aging biz is taking its toll. I am much more
cautious about when and where I drive my Model A. City traffic is crazy and country roads are almost impossible to find or access in any easy, reasonable, and safe way. Previous regional roads and even streets have been changed to 3 and 4 lane 55 mph race tracks. No more driving at night. I expect I’ll be aged out of any frequent A drives by the time I’m 80. Honestly, though, my physical changes have also been a factor. Eyesight, reaction times, and memory loss. My cars will likely be sold away or passed on in my will.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 07:48 AM   #12
nkaminar

Terry, I am interested to know what your problems are with your car that you mentioned in your initial post.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 09:15 AM   #13
Marshall V. Daut

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=335653
Old 02-11-2024, 11:00 AM   #14
drfromnc

Welcome back TerryNJ. I’m a young man ,56, relatively speaking and my late father, who lived to be 92 and passed 2.5 yrs ago, used to always say “getting old ain’t for the faint hearted”.

He didn’t know it but he lived by the mantra that was coined by Clint Eastwood on a golf trip with Toby Keith (country music star). I watched an interview with Toby last week where he said Clint told him he “doesn’t let the old man in” by getting up everyday and being productive. Clint was 80 when told Toby this and he was going to film the movie The Mule the next week. Toby was so inspired by the statement that he wrote a song titled “don’t let the old man in” and this song is in the movie, closing scene.

I am inspired everyday by old timers (no disrespect) like guys on here, my dad memory and the mantra “don’t let the old man in” to be productive each day.

Last edited by drfromnc; 02-11-2024 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Grammar
drfromnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 11:50 AM   #15
Jeff/Illinois

Holy smokes Terry

Take care bud glad to see you are on the mend. You've been through a lot, you are one tough dude!

Hang in there....
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote