Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-06-2023, 08:50 PM   #1
JimNNN

Default '61 Galaxie or Monterey owners...please help w/ power steering.

Hi. I have a '61 Mercury Monterey...I believe it and the Ford Galaxie share the same power steering system components. I'm guessing I'm more likely to encounter Galaxie owners than Monterey owners from that year, hence my title, but anyone who can help will be appreciated. Engine is a 352.

I'm having NO luck finding a new or NOS power steering pressure hose replacement (from pump to control valve.) I've checked all the online vendors I'm aware of, all the local stores, all the hydraulic places in town (to see if they can fab a replacement) but to no avail. I've been able to get all the other hoses from vendors, but not the pump to valve pressure hose. Have any of you been able to find one recently? If so, where?

I'm putting new components in, so I thought I'd replace all the hoses while I'm at it. The original pressure hose isn't leaking, so I'll just have to clean it off and reuse it if I can't find a new one. THANKS!
JimNNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 10:02 PM   #2
fordor41

Default Re: '61 Galaxie or Monterey owners...please help w/ power steering.

boy, that's odd that a hydraulic supply house can not make up a hose. they usually can fab about anything related.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 07:00 AM   #3
KULTULZ

Unhappy Re: '61 Galaxie or Monterey owners...please help w/ power steering.

If it helps -

1961/62 FORD/MERC - FYB/FE - C1AA 3A719-D

There has to be a custom maker than can make one. Are the ends/tubing anything unusual or special do you think?

Can you post a photo of the hose?

- MULTI-VEHICLE SYNTHETIC TRANSMISSION FLUID -

Multi-vehicle transmission fluids are becoming more and more popular in the marketplace. Oil marketers design these fluids for a wide range of automatic transmission types. While they are not licensed by any specific auto manufacturer ... ??? ... enough said ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 12:21 PM   #4
JimNNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordor41 View Post
boy, that's odd that a hydraulic supply house can not make up a hose. they usually can fab about anything related.

According to them, it isn't the hose, it's how the fittings and end tubes attach to the hose. I believe the fittings and tubes are very specific for clearance reasons (into the control valve.) I happen to live in Lincoln, Nebraska, so I also went to Speedway Motors counter help to see if they could find some aftermarket solution...to no avail. Also, the hose transitions from a larger size to a smaller size (for some reason.) It could be that the fluid/hydraulic companies don't want to be bothered with my small project, but don't want to come out and say it. I'll post a photo as KULTULZ requested.
Old 09-07-2023, 12:50 PM   #5
rjlester

I recently had all of the hoses made for my 57 Monarch (same as Monterey) and a local shop was able to duplicate all of them, however, they had to use some of the fittings from my original hoses as they were not able to get them, or make those fittings.

Maybe another shop in your area could do the same thing?
rjlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 12:51 PM   #6
JimNNN

Here are some pics hopefully.

Question: I found a NOS hose for a '61 Fairlane. The Fairlane was full sized in '61, so I don't think that's a problem but one of the tubing ends is a little different probably because the hose is designated for a 6 cyl and I have an 8 cyl. Looks very similar otherwise. Would the 6 cyl. use the same power steering pump as the 8 cyl? If so, I might give it a try. The seller offers returns. (Of course, these pics are of my hose, not the NOS hose.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1089.jpg (51.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1093.jpg (56.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1091.jpg (50.8 KB, 20 views)
Old 09-07-2023, 02:18 PM   #7
JimNNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
If it helps -

1961/62 FORD/MERC - FYB/FE - C1AA 3A719-D

I think that does help. THANKS. I ordered the new old stock hose for a 6 cylinder that I mentioned. It's number is C1AA-3A-719-C. The only difference is the # is the C vs. the D, which I guess is the difference in the tubing length on the pump end. I can check it out before I install it and send it back if the overall length won't work. I'll let you know what I find out.

Last edited by JimNNN; 09-07-2023 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-07-2023, 02:30 PM   #8
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: '61 Galaxie or Monterey owners...please help w/ power steering.

C1AA 3A719-C is for the 223CI 6-CYL.

Multi-vehicle transmission fluids are becoming more and more popular in the marketplace. Oil marketers design these fluids for a wide range of automatic transmission types. While they are not licensed by any specific auto manufacturer ... ??? ... enough said ...

Old 09-29-2023, 03:09 PM   #9
JimNNN

Just an update. The 6 cylinder pressure hose for the power steering on this car worked pretty good as a substitute for the 8 cylinder hose (which I absolutely could not find.) It was only a couple of inches longer, which is no big deal. My only regret is that someone looking for a 6 cyl hose won't be able to use the one I bought. I bet that many 6 cylinder Monterey's weren't equipped with power steering, however. (And relatively few Monterey's came with 6 cylinder engines.)

The only other issues were that the hoses from valve to cylinder are being sold new in two slightly different configurations. Be sure and check which ones you have on your car before ordering.

Also, even though I flushed/replaced the old fluid and was meticulous (or so I thought) about keeping everything clean, I may have got a small amount of debris into the system, as the power assist took a while to start working, despite bleeding the system. I put some Sea Foam trans tune in the reservoir, which resolved the issue (whatever it was) quickly.
Old 09-29-2023, 03:29 PM   #10
JimNNN

Oh, and thanks for the input and help, everyone!
Old 09-30-2023, 09:05 AM   #11
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: '61 Galaxie or Monterey owners...please help w/ power steering.

Quote:
... even though I flushed/replaced the old fluid and was meticulous (or so I thought) about keeping everything clean, I may have got a small amount of debris into the system, as the power assist took a while to start working
You changed the filter?

The hesitation in powering up may have been air in the system.

Old 09-30-2023, 04:01 PM   #12
JimNNN

Hi Kultulz. My reservoir doesn't have a filter. I can't remember when they started using those, but I remember reading that they put them in after they made my car. It's possible that air was still trapped in the system after my many attempts to bleed the system. It eventually started working and has worked consistently since. I cleaned and reused my original reservoir, as the new pump didn't come with one.
Old 09-30-2023, 05:02 PM   #13
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: '61 Galaxie or Monterey owners...please help w/ power steering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNNN View Post

My reservoir doesn't have a filter. I can't remember when they started using those, but I remember reading that they put them in after they made my car.
Correct you are. For some reason they started the filter in 1962 on the MERC FE install. Interesting factoid and I did not know that.

Quote:
It's possible that air was still trapped in the system after my many attempts to bleed the system. It eventually started working and has worked consistently since. I cleaned and reused my original reservoir, as the new pump didn't come with one.
If you have any more trouble with air, raise the front end and with the engine running slowly turn the steering wheel side to side hitting but not holding on the stops.

THANX! for the adventure and education ...