Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-29-2020, 07:36 PM   #1
shew01

Default Shock Absorber Fluid

This is the first time I have checked shock absorber fluid levels on my car, and I am confused with conflicting guidance. I have a 1931 Victoria with what appears to be original design shocks. When I remove the filler plug and stick a toothpick down the hole, I have some fluid, but it does not rise to the bottom of the filler hole.

IMG_2422.jpg

IMG_2423.jpg

Les Andrews, Volume 1, page 1-260 says, "Remove the filler plug and fill with shock fluid to the bottom of the filler hole. Replace the filler plug."

However, the bottle of shock fluid I recently purchased from Bratton's has a white piece of paper inside the plastic bag-sealed bottle that says, "SHOCK FLUID DO NOT fill the upper reservoir with oil. These shocks have been internally sealed to trap necessary oil in the working chambers of the shock. This was necessary to correct an original engineering flaw that enabled most shocks to leak oil around the outer cap. Your shocks have been oiled and tested for normal road and load use and should function perfectly on your car."

IMG_2419.jpg

So.... Do I add shock oil, or not?
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote