Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-09-2020, 07:53 PM   #21
gdmn852

Default Re: Bearing on King Pins question

Hello ,according to the Model A mechanic handbook vol 1 mentioned having to shim the kingpin thrust bearings may need shimmed as the new bearings are thinner,I think Snyders sells the shims
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:17 PM   #22
David R.

My '30 AA axle had roller thrust bearings and the kingpins had a BB and Ford script on them. I tried finding new sets, NLA. A local NAPA guy and their bearing distributor rep spent an hour and a half with me looking. After several soakings in kerosine and acetone the old bearings cleaned up and after oiling worked smoothly. I could use them if necessary. I did a lot of research and for those of you who think any bearing supplier can match you up a new bearing with your old Timken bearing number you are living in the past. Not so anymore. I did find a thrust bearing (ball) from Grainger that looks like it would work dimensionally, but pretty pricey. In the meantime I found a NORS AA kingpin set at swap meet with lots of "staining, i.e. surface rust". It has ball bearings. The A parts are a lot easier to find.
David R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:42 PM   #23
Mulletwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdmn852 View Post
Hello ,according to the Model A mechanic handbook vol 1 mentioned having to shim the kingpin thrust bearings may need shimmed as the new bearings are thinner,I think Snyders sells the shims

Is true !! A shim may be necessary to ensure the load is carried on the bearing and not the spindle leg surface.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:43 AM   #24
redmodelt

This post was started in Jan or 2016.
Old 03-28-2024, 05:27 PM   #25
vincentkdunn

Should new spindle king pin bearings be packed with grease like wheel bearings prior to installation?
vincentkdunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 06:25 PM   #26
Bruce of MN

Yes, every rolling element bearing that doesn't have an oil supply should be greased.
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 07:12 PM   #27
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R. View Post
My '30 AA axle had roller thrust bearings and the kingpins had a BB and Ford script on them. I tried finding new sets, NLA. A local NAPA guy and their bearing distributor rep spent an hour and a half with me looking. After several soakings in kerosine and acetone the old bearings cleaned up and after oiling worked smoothly. I could use them if necessary. I did a lot of research and for those of you who think any bearing supplier can match you up a new bearing with your old Timken bearing number you are living in the past. Not so anymore. I did find a thrust bearing (ball) from Grainger that looks like it would work dimensionally, but pretty pricey. In the meantime I found a NORS AA kingpin set at swap meet with lots of "staining, i.e. surface rust". It has ball bearings. The A parts are a lot easier to find.
hmmm, good tip on soaking them.

Do you happen to know the stock number at WW Graingers?
Gene F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 10:12 PM   #28
KR500

Tom Endy, Some years ago a friend of mine who tore down his rear end and trans to replace the clutch decided to also replace the throw out bearing when he did the clutch. Was he upset, because the new throw out bearing holed. He tore apart and put back the old bearing. After returning from a National with his car he decided to pay Aetna a visit. We live in the Chicago area and Aetna was on the northwest side of town. He was able to talk to a supervisor that my friend talked to and the gentleman proceeded to place the bearing in a fixture similar to a lathe and a portion of the machine you could apply pressure against the bearing. It howled badly. The supervisor asked my friend if it would be OK to cut open the bearing. My friend wholeheartily said sure. Upon opening up the bearing the supervisor exclaimed that the bearing was NOT on of Aetnas. It was stamped Aetna but not with the same Labeling as was original Aetna stamped bearings. The supervisor said a foreign country, possibly India or China was making the bearings. Supplying Brattons, Snyders, Mikes Affordable with the ability for them to prophet more.
KR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 09:39 PM   #29
Bigsnapper43

For what it is worth I have several sets of old stock king pin sets for sale. Give me a call 740 658 3495.
Bigsnapper43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 08:41 PM   #30
Oldcarbearings

Most of the T83 Timken type : TTSP are only available in ACE chinese brand, sometimes wer'e lucky &we can source TIMKEN T83, I'd try United Bearing Company in Texas they'll have them in Timken.
Oldcarbearings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 10:45 AM   #31
Steve Schmauch

Frank--I opened my NOS Ford king pin box A3111 and checked the thrust bearing. It has the Ford script logo on top and part number B-3123-A2 on it. The unit has ball bearings. By the way, I have noted that newer replacement thrust bearings have less thickness than originals. The thickness of this bearing is 0.530" or so. You might have to use several shims to compensate if using a thinner one.
Steve Schmauch is offline   Reply With Quote