Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-26-2017, 10:43 AM   #1
Viv W

Default 1935 right hand drive question.

Hi All,
I am busy repairing all the extra holes in the dashboard for my 35 phaeton. I came to realize that it has a start button on the right hand side of the dash. I did some checking and the 4dr touring sedan that I chopped up for parts also has a push button start switch on the dash. These start switches are the same as fitted to 39 and 40 models.
I checked the old wiring loom on my sedan and in place of the floor operated start switch it has a floor operated headlight dip switch. The wiring from the dip switch goes directly to the normal bottom of the steering column switch and it all appears to be original.
My question please, to other owners of 1935 right hand drive cars is, are your cars the same as mine. I'm wondering if the floor operated dip switch and dash mounted start button were a requirement for cars supplied to the British colonies.
I welcome your answers, many thanks
Viv Westbury.
Viv W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:27 AM   #2
Brian

Default Re: 1935 right hand drive question.

Any RHD 35 Ford I've seen has a foot operated starter button protruding between the brake and clutch pedals. No push button on dash or firewall mounted solenoid, those features began in 1937 production.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:28 AM   #3
weemark

there isn't a dash button on my RHD '35, only a starter switch on the floor. I only have the start button on the floor, there is no dipswitch. may be something specific to cars made for your country?
weemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:28 PM   #4
KiWinUS

My RHD 36 from NZ is as Brian said
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:07 PM   #5
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

The add on start button was a common retrofit with the solenoid ,Ted

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:42 PM   #6
4 MAINS V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
My 1935 model 60 RHD has a starter switch on the floor and also has a dip switch to the left of the clutch pedal. My 1935 phaeton RHD just has the starter on the floor. Both cars assembled in Dagenham UK.
4 MAINS V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:52 PM   #7
weemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 MAINS V8 View Post
My 1935 model 60 RHD has a starter switch on the floor and also has a dip switch to the left of the clutch pedal. My 1935 phaeton RHD just has the starter on the floor. Both cars assembled in Dagenham UK.
Hi, it would be good to see pics of both cars, im interested because ive got a Dagenham built 1935 roadster. Am I right thinking the model 60 was just a model 48 with a 22hp engine in it?
Old 07-26-2017, 05:12 PM   #8
4 MAINS V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by weemark View Post
Hi, it would be good to see pics of both cars, im interested because ive got a Dagenham built 1935 roadster. Am I right thinking the model 60 was just a model 48 with a 22hp engine in it?
Hi Weemark on holiday at the moment will post photos when I get home. The model 60 is basically a model 48 with the 4 mains v8 and lower gearing, although most of them were retrofitted with the later 22hp 3 mains v8 or 30hp engines
4 MAINS V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:15 PM   #9
weemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 MAINS V8 View Post
Hi Weemark on holiday at the moment will post photos when I get home. The model 60 is basically a model 48 with the 4 mains v8 and lower gearing, although most of them were retrofitted with the later 22hp 3 mains v8 or 30hp engines
ok thanks for the info, look forward to the pics when you get home
Old 07-26-2017, 07:44 PM   #10
DavidG

Any dimmer switch other than the controls in the center of the steering wheel of a '35 or '36 is a post-production addition as is an instrument panel mounted starter button. I've had three RHD '35 phaetons and a RHD '35 convertible sedan (a mixture of very early, mid-year and very late production) and all were equipped with floor mounted starter switches and no separate headlamp dimmer replacing that in the center of the steering wheel.

Last edited by DavidG; 07-26-2017 at 07:58 PM.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:19 AM   #11
Viv W

Thank you all, I think you have answered my question, I will fill the hole in the dash and go back to original
Regards
Viv.
Viv W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:33 AM   #12
koates

Yes as DavidG says. I have seen a lot of 35 RHDrives in Australia. If original unaltered the starter switch was on the floor and mounts to the top of the steering box. The high/low/park light switch control is in the centre of the steering wheel and the headlight switch is mounted under the steering box. Over the years many cars had more modern switching systems fitted. Original starter switches for the 35 are available NOS and they differ somewhat from the 33-34 versions. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:46 AM   #13
mercman from oz

These 2 photos might be helpful. They show a pair of 1935 Ford Fordor Sedans with the Factory RHD Dash Panels. The top photo shows an Australian RHD Dash, while the lower photo shows an imported 1935 Ford from New Zealand.
Australia never offered Mohair Interiors, but our local 35 Ford Sedans had Leather Seats. Notice the different locations of the Window Winders between the two cars. I hope that these pictures are helpful. Both cars also have the Aluminium Park Brake Extension.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:48 AM   #14
mercman from oz

The "Dip Switch" was part of the Horn Button in the centre of the Steering Wheel on both of these cars.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:07 AM   #15
Kerk

Picture seems to be an Early 35. Door handle location. jmho kx
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:08 AM   #16
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
Yes as DavidG says. I have seen a lot of 35 RHDrives in Australia. If original unaltered the starter switch was on the floor and "mounts to the top of the steering box." The high/low/park light switch control is in the centre of the steering wheel and the headlight switch is mounted under the steering box. Over the years many cars had more modern switching systems fitted. Original starter switches for the 35 are available NOS and they differ somewhat from the 33-34 versions. Regards, Kevin.
How could the starter switch mount to the top of steering box?

On LHD '35's, the starter switch mounts to the top of the frame, and I would think it would be the same type mounting on RHD, but on the opposite side of frame.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:24 AM   #17
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
mercman from Oz
These 2 photos might be helpful. They show a pair of 1935 Ford Fordor Sedans with the Factory RHD Dash Panels. The top photo shows an Australian RHD Dash, while the lower photo shows an imported 1935 Ford from New Zealand.
Australia never offered Mohair Interiors, but our local 35 Ford Sedans had Leather Seats. Notice the different locations of the Window Winders between the two cars. I hope that these pictures are helpful. "Both cars also have the Aluminium Park Brake Extension.
I notice that right away. I have only seen one picture of that type of parking brake extension in the past. Was that type of extension only available in Australia??

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 07-27-2017 at 07:31 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:43 AM   #18
weemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
How could the starter switch mount to the top of steering box?

On LHD '35's, the starter switch mounts to the top of the frame, and I would think it would be the same type mounting on RHD, but on the opposite side of frame.
the starter switch is mounted on the frame john. below is a pic of mine taken when I stripped the car down

Old 07-27-2017, 07:58 AM   #19
koates

Yep The starter switch is on the frame unlike the 33-34s are on the steering box so my mistake there. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:05 AM   #20
rockfla

JM35Sedan
On the subject of the E-Brake extender, the only one I have ever seen prior to Trevor's picture above was on a 35 Aussie Ute (The one that was in the former Ron Thorne collection if my memory serves me correctly), since then I have been wanting one for our 35 Aussie Ute, so it must be a "Down Under" adaptation.....quite clever and would love to find one!!! I was told by a fellow V8'er from there that they are difficult to find?? Maybe Trevor will speak more to the fact?
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote