Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-30-2024, 06:48 PM   #21
ct1932ford

Default Re: where to buy a quality 10" clutch?

Fort Wayne!
Old 01-30-2024, 07:14 PM   #22
rotorwrench

My mid century Mercury Borg and Beck clutches have to be rebuilt since there are no reproductions for them. Ft Wayne Clutch even rebuilds my disks or at least they did several years ago. Those that they have rebuilt for me worked well. I still have spares.

The reproduction 9-inch clutches are made for 8N tractors and don't even have the flyweights let alone non adjustable fingers. The reproduction 10-inch Long type clutches may be just like the 9-inch Long types but I haven't sourced one for many years.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 09:17 PM   #23
Pete

Up till a couple years ago I used to check a couple of local wrecking yards for certain parts cores.
One of which was the early 9 inch Ford clutch. They are easy to rebuild at home and up to recently they were relatively cheap.
This clutch is a very good performer in a flathead Ford performance street engine. There is no need for a 10 inch clutch, they just take up room, shift slower and have more pedal pressure. Rebuilt properly a 9 will handle 400 hp, are about as small in diameter as a stock clutch gets and have low pedal pressure.
Some after market versions were available with aluminum covers and plates.
To rebuild, I first magnafluxed all of the pieces. I used to farm the plate out for facing because I did not have a grinder that would do the job. I then detailed the plate by going over it with an 80 grit Spiracone to remove any stress risers.
A plate that has heat checks showing after facing should NEVER be used.
The rest of the work can be done in most machine shops.
I used valve springs of appropriate size for the performance level required. All springs should have the EXACT same pressure at installed height. This is very important.
I hard faced the finger adjust screws.
I balanced them by drilling the spring stands, NOT welding pieces on like many do. Welding on a clutch cover is a sure road to disaster not to mention chatter.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 12:08 PM   #24
Tim Ayers

In my stash, I have a fairly clean 9" pressure plate and clutch. Seems like it may be a good idea to get them sent out for refurbishing after reading this thread.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 01:27 PM   #25
Gene1949

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
In my stash, I have a fairly clean 9" pressure plate and clutch. Seems like it may be a good idea to get them sent out for refurbishing after reading this thread.
See Pete's post above. I seriously doubt if any rebuilder would have have such an approach.
After reading the problems with "refurbished" clutches and flywheels on this board alone....
There is a reason auto manufacturers moved away from the Long/Borg and Beck style PPs.
Gene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 08:46 AM   #26
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene1949 View Post
I went to their site, searched 'flathead V8' and they show 3 choices, but can't see any description on any of them. I have only had one centerforce clutch and that was in a toyota landcruiser about 1997. After about 6 months of DD use, one of the counterweights jumped the track and jambed up the works. I can only imagine they must have solved that problem and might consider one of their clutches. Seems more than adequate for a 120 hp station wagon. Good unit?
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 09:26 AM   #27
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
I went to their site, searched 'flathead V8' and they show 3 choices, but can't see any description on any of them. I have only had one centerforce clutch and that was in a toyota landcruiser about 1997. After about 6 months of DD use, one of the counterweights jumped the track and jambed up the works. I can only imagine they must have solved that problem and might consider one of their clutches. Seems more than adequate for a 120 hp station wagon. Good unit?
I have a Centerforce clutch set up on my engine and absolutely love it. Their website stinks in my opinion. I've always called them and spoke to their tech department. They were helpful and knew exactly what parts I needed.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 10:04 AM   #28
Gene1949

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
I have a Centerforce clutch set up on my engine and absolutely love it. Their website stinks in my opinion. I've always called them and spoke to their tech department. They were helpful and knew exactly what parts I needed.
Yes,
Gene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 02:30 PM   #29
Bob's 1950 truck

I bought a new clutch and pressure plate from KYclutch. They look good. Will tell you in a couple of months how it works. They were good to deal with. Fast shipping.
Bob's 1950 truck is offline   Reply With Quote