Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-30-2024, 01:13 PM   #21
petehoovie

Default Re: Probably the wrong auction venue for this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindhuckster View Post
I agree with some but not all of the responses. Having seen the car in person makes a difference in the judgment of the car. Forgive my ignorance for not knowing about the incorrect fender skirts and other nonoriginal pieces. It's obvious that few, if any click on the auction link to see more pictures as well as the sellers description of the car. So here it is again.

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...OADSTER-272450

Lot #713 - This all-steel 1936 Ford Deluxe roadster is powered by a fully dressed 24-stud 59AB Flathead built by Green Enterprises in Kent, WA. It features all new internals, a set of original NOS Navarro aluminum heads with new stainless valves, Isky cam, dual Ford 94 carburetors on a vintage Offenhauser intake manifold, finned aluminum free-flow air filters and ceramic-coated Fenton headers. It is updated with 12-volt electricals, hydraulic brakes, a new custom-built radiator with an electric fan and a freshly rebuilt 1939 transmission with synchromesh gears, a 10-inch clutch and 3.25 highway rear end. Other notable features include all new/rebuilt suspension with front sway bar upgrade, all new wiring (including incorporating turn signal functionality into the taillights), factory rumble seat, all-new soft-top and side curtains, original banjo steering wheel, rebuilt original radio, deluxe "spider" chrome wheel covers, dual sideview mirrors, fender skirts and a dual exhaust system. It sits on reproduction bias-ply wide whitewall tires and has a rear-mounted spare. Included with the car is detailed information and receipts for the mechanical work and updates, as well as additional Flathead and instruction booklet. Deluxe roadsters made up just 0.4 percent of total production for 1936.

This description and picture of the engine compartment and interior, don't sound like an amateur restoration to me. As far as the grille not fitting right, not sure why that is as in the pictures prior to the auction, it looks fine. I myself would love to have it. Nate Anello

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 01:28 PM   #22
Joe B.

I watched the auction on TV. Insane prices for pickups and muscle cars. Classics not so much. I know I overpaid for my '50, but like others said, it's my hobby, not an investment. Somebody got a great bargain on the '36, sounds like.
Old 01-30-2024, 01:39 PM   #23
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B. View Post
I watched the auction on TV. Insane prices for pickups and muscle cars. Classics not so much. I know I overpaid for my '50, but like others said, it's my hobby, not an investment. Somebody got a great bargain on the '36, sounds like.
There was an interesting walk around video showing a K5 Blazer that sold for $100K. Description said "No Expense Spared" "Complete nut & bolt restoration"

Paint looked great. The poor door gaps, brush painted over a rusty frame and inner wheel wells, and re-using the rusty bolts and a rattle can spray job of the underside of the hood told a different story. Buyer beware.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 02:16 PM   #24
Joe B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
There was an interesting walk around video showing a K5 Blazer that sold for $100K. Description said "No Expense Spared" "Complete nut & bolt restoration"

Paint looked great. The poor door gaps, brush painted over a rusty frame and inner wheel wells, and re-using the rusty bolts and a rattle can spray job of the underside of the hood told a different story. Buyer beware.

Yes, I forgot to mention Blazers and Broncos. They seem like the must have at any cost for the obviously well heeled crowd there in Scottsdale.
Old 01-30-2024, 03:43 PM   #25
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Yes, I forgot to mention Blazers and Broncos. They seem like the must have at any cost for the obviously well heeled crowd there in Scottsdale.

Yep. Did anyone see that black mid-60's Lincoln Continental convertible sell for $700K?
Old 01-30-2024, 03:56 PM   #26
petehoovie

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Yep. Did anyone see that black mid-60's Lincoln Continental convertible sell for $700K?
This one? > https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...ERTIBLE-271961
*Includes Buyer Commission
Scottsdale 2024 Location NORTH SHOWCASE h-6 Reserve NO RESERVE Status Sold Price $660,000.00 Lot1414 Year 1964 Make LINCOLN Model CONTINENTAL Style CUSTOM CONVERTIBLE

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Last edited by petehoovie; 01-30-2024 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-30-2024, 04:15 PM   #27
rockfla

Quote:
P T Barnum proven right AGAIN!!!! Why can I not find A fool or three in my life???
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 04:17 PM   #28
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
P T Barnum proven right AGAIN!!!! Why can I not find A fool or three in my life???
Hahahahaha. Hang in there. You've still got some time left to make it happen. LOL!
Old 01-30-2024, 04:36 PM   #29
rockfla

Quote:
Hahahahaha. Hang in there. You've still got some time left to make it happen. LOL!
Here is a good laugh for you Tim. Here is me at the ripe age of 6 and the 64 Lincoln Convertible my dad bough out of a local junk yard for the huge sum of $200 "as is" and DROVE it out of the junk yard. He had a new top put on it and tuned it up, drove it for a year or two and sold it for $1750.00....That is how nice it was!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image (2).jpg (75.6 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg Image (3).jpg (42.8 KB, 105 views)
Old 01-30-2024, 04:41 PM   #30
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
Here is a good laugh for you Tim. Here is me at the ripe age of 6 and the 64 Lincoln Convertible my dad bough out of a local junk yard for the huge sum of $200 "as is" and DROVE it out of the junk yard. He had a new top put on it and tuned it up, drove it for a year or two and sold it for $1750.00....That is how nice it was!!!!

Old 01-30-2024, 05:41 PM   #31
Zeke3

That receipt brings back some good old memories for me. I mustered out of the Navy in Jacksonville about a month after your dad bought that Lincoln and we lived in a rental just east of Old Middleburg Rd. off 103rd St.. I am sure I wouldn’t recognize the place now.

That looks like a really good car for $200.00 back then, that one depreciated really fast.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 05:51 PM   #32
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke3 View Post
That receipt brings back some good old memories for me. I mustered out of the Navy in Jacksonville about a month after your dad bought that Lincoln and we lived in a rental just east of Old Middleburg Rd. off 103rd St.. I am sure I wouldn’t recognize the place now.

That looks like a really good car for $200.00 back then, that one depreciated really fast.
Zeke3
I currently live about 1/2 way between the junkyard of discussion and your “old” rental…..but even people like myself who have lived here all their lives weren’t really aware of where I live was even here. I am tucked away hidden i. the middle of it all…..With that said, yes, the area you lived has not only changed (like all of Jax you used to frequent including NAS Mainside and NAS Cecil which is NO longer) BUT your old neighborhood has changed, unfortunately, for the worse. NOT a great area these days!!
Old 01-30-2024, 07:31 PM   #33
Hitman

Quote:
like others said, it's my hobby, not an investment.
The old cars are an investment for me! If I didn't have the car hobby, that money would likely be sitting in some sort of financial account with some of the investments making money and others losing money. I don't sit around worrying about what something is worth each day, and all of my investments are for my heirs anyways. I still need a house to live in, a car to drive and money in the bank. So I don't worry about how much my house increased, cars increased or decreased, or what the stock market did any given day. As long as I'm staying on the positive side of things, I'm doing fine.

The car hobby is a great investment with the right perspective. I get to enjoy that money, make friends with it, see great places, and enjoy my free time in the garage. Every dollar invested in old cars provides a greater value than every dollar invested in msft.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 09:51 PM   #34
Joe B.

Well said!