Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-05-2023, 10:30 AM   #21
Mart

Default Re: Flathead A Roadster

In this pic you can see a pitman arm. I would say there is a drag link connected to the tie rod.
This arrangement can be problematical if the tie rod can twist, causing lost steering motion. (A friend tried this many years ago). I would be interested to see the drag link/tie rod connection. Mart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steering01.jpg (67.7 KB, 152 views)
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 10:31 AM   #22
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
In this pic you can see a pitman arm. I would say there is a drag link connected to the tie rod.
This arrangement can be problematical if the tie rod can twist, causing lost steering motion. (A friend tried this many years ago). I would be interested to see the drag link/tie rod connection. Mart.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 11:25 AM   #23
Krylon32

When I built the chassis for the Green Hornet this steering setup had already been road proven by Walden Speed Shop and Johnson's Hot Rod Shop. I used a stainless tie rod from Johnson's with the drag link eye built into the tie rod. Dale has over 8000 miles on the car including a trip from Minn to the LARS last summer. Check Johnson's website for a picture of the tie rod under suspension parts.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 12:44 PM   #24
GB SISSON

Quote:
I can see Exactly how a twisting moment would be exerted on that rod if it had a threaded end on the right that became loosened. Talk about a loose goose with a screw loose. That's a lot of slop....I see the advantage of that fixed eye.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 12:51 PM   #25
Tim Ayers

OK, It seems to make sense now. I would think the "eye" for the drag link would need to be in a horizontal orientaion so the tie rod end can swivel in it's socket without putting a twisting force on the rod.

At least that's what I think is going on.

http://johnsonshotrodshop.com/parts-...?parts2_page=2
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 01:00 PM   #26
Krylon32

The application shown on the A roadster and I talk about works fine if built correctly, is perfectly safe and does not make the car squirrley to drive. When I have done it in the past I've used only the best components and my machine shop is the best. I would not risk someones life with shoddy parts or workmanship.
Old 02-05-2023, 05:10 PM   #27
V8COOPMAN

Quote:

There's no doubt that it's been done in the past, like this Jeep application, and the one below. I was just curious about how they did it on this extreme example.

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 05:14 PM   #28
Krylon32

This type of application hides the drag link under the car. Clean look on a fenderless car
Old 02-05-2023, 05:40 PM   #29
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
This type of application hides the drag link under the car. Clean look on a fenderless car
Clean for sure. Depends on the look you are going for. Looks great on this car.

That said, these types of things are leaning closer towards street rod vs. hot rod in my opinion.
Old 02-05-2023, 05:54 PM   #30
Krylon32

This Model A roadster sure as hell ain't no street rod and I don't consider most of the 100's of chassis I've done for customers over the years street rod rod chassis. I tried to keep them headed in the hot rod direction. Every old car built doesn't have to have a banger or Flathead with wish bones, side steer and 36 rear bones to be a hot rod. Some times I wonder why I comment on this forum. The Ford Barn may be beyond my area of expertise?
Old 02-05-2023, 05:59 PM   #31
ssffnomad

Gary , thanks for posting
Stretch
ssffnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 07:55 PM   #32
Tim Ayers

Quote:
This Model A roadster sure as hell ain't no street rod and I don't consider most of the 100's of chassis I've done for customers over the years street rod rod chassis. I tried to keep them headed in the hot rod direction. Every old car built doesn't have to have a banger or Flathead with wish bones, side steer and 36 rear bones to be a hot rod. Some times I wonder why I comment on this forum. The Ford Barn may be beyond my area of expertise?
Gary,

I didn't mean to offend you and it was not intend as a shot toward you or your work. My comment is simply my opinion.

The need for two u joints to line up a steering box is not traditional in any sense of the word. That type of stuff lives is the world of street rods in my opinion.

I will admit that I have a narrow view of what makes a car a traditional "hot rod", but in the end it is just my opinion.

You have every right to not agree with it. To be clear, what I said is that type of set up is leaning towards street rod. I didn't say it was a street rod.

My comment should not take away from the car as I said repeatedly it is a clean build and looks great.

Tim
Old 02-05-2023, 09:23 PM   #33
GB SISSON

Quote:
The application shown on the A roadster and I talk about works fine if built correctly, is perfectly safe and does not make the car squirrley to drive. When I have done it in the past I've used only the best components and my machine shop is the best. I would not risk someones life with shoddy parts or workmanship.
And from one Gary to another... The intent of my comment about 'loose steering' was that with a thread at each end and and the lock nut became loose there would be lost motion. I would be the last one to criticise your's or any number of the other barners skills or the suitability of one's project as fordbarn material. Don't forget who introduced the barn to a cobbled together half Japanese frankentruck. Talk about breaking the rules! End of rant.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 01:46 AM   #34
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Gary,

I didn't mean to offend you and it was not intend as a shot toward you or your work. My comment is simply my opinion.

You have every right to not agree with it. To be clear, what I said is that type of set up is leaning towards street rod. I didn't say it was a street rod.
Gary .... I KNOW what kind of stuff you build, and for sure, it ain't STREET RODDISH! I know that I place a mighty high value on the way you do things.
Plus remember this: That roadster up above ain't got no lawn chairs nor a can of wax in the trunk, so it CAN'T be a dang street rod! Anybody that puts 409 water pumps on a flathead has to have his head in the right place!!

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 09:18 AM   #35
jimvette59

This is a beautiful piece of art and superb craftsmanship. The only thing I see that bothers me is the pitman arm and the connection to the draklink under the scrub line. It is only my opinion.
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 09:43 AM   #36
ct1932ford

Love the car, The only thing that I am not a fan of is the cross steering. I know I'm a bit fussy, but a drag link and side steering is what I believe is necessary for that true hot rod look up to 1934. I know, like four bar it works better, but isn't happening on any of my builds. JMO