Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-06-2019, 01:27 PM   #41
rotorwrench

Default Re: Totaly "Restored" 1st Sport Coupe sold in San Francisco

It doesn't really matter how much they strayed from original on the build. Restored means to restore it to original or as close as is practicable. The fact is, that it wouldn't come all that close to max points at a judging. It has too many custom additions. I won't say that's a bad thing but it is a factual statement.

To each there own I guess. I just wonder why he's trying to sell it after spending so much on the build. Most Folks know that they will likely recoup only a fraction of the investment. They might as well use the thing a while longer. You never know what folks get out of the hobby. Everything is different for each individual. Some just like the hunt and the build. After that they lose interest. Others enjoy the fruits of their labors and drive the things all over the place to meets and such.

If I was going to spend that kind of cash, it wouldn't be on a model A but that's just me.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 02:32 PM   #42
Jeff/Illinois

Oh my...........that car would not be for ME
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:20 PM   #43
Russ B

Not original, but beautifully over restored to the owner’s individual taste. It is bargain priced compared to what it must have cost to build. It’s appeal may be limited to exclude most of the Ford Barn members, but it is a very nice car.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:42 PM   #44
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
I just wonder why he's trying to sell it after spending so much on the build. Most Folks know that they will likely recoup only a fraction of the investment.
The reason for sale is in the ad.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:12 PM   #45
daveymc29

Didn't George Piperas father own the first Sports Coupe sold in the Bay Area? I'll ask that question.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:23 PM   #46
jimalabam

As a purist,first I agree with Brent, Second there so darn many things wrong with this car, it would take a notebook to record the issues, starting with those "funky" AM cowl lamps...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:39 PM   #47
TerryH

I agree with the strict definition of restored, but I would also offer that lots and lots of Model A owner’s that belong to clubs, and have Model A’s that have been very nicely “refurbished” in many ways, but also have touring mods, describe them as restored. I think to many not so serious hobbyists, restoring is a somewhat nebulous term, loosely applied often. So, if a car is really restored, except for a Mitchell OD, is it now mostly restored, 95% restored, refurbished, or just a nice Model A?
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:49 PM   #48
redmodelt

I did a little checking on the cowl lights, Ford did not supply cowl lights till later in 28 and when they did start supplying, for a few months were fluted lens like the head lights. So these could be correct.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:34 AM   #49
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Nothing overlooked, nothing unmodified. Imagine a person buying the car and entering it in fine point because of the " nothing overlooked restoration".
Old 09-07-2019, 02:01 AM   #50
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post

And while some here will complain about how this vehicle was 'restored' unauthentically, I'm sure if we took a hard look at each other's vehicles, we'd see many deviations from 'factory-done' too, -so in all likelihood, the owner that was paying for this car's restoration chose it to be done the way he wanted it. .

Of course there will be deviations but do we advertise nothing spared restoration with original engine and transmission?

We make comments about this car not because of what is there but because what the seller says is there. The car is what it is but it is not by definition restored.

I just sold my Town Sedan. I did not say it was number matching (the numbers do match thanks to some stamps) It has original Houdaille shocks but I did not state that because, although they are on the car, they do not work and so on and so on.

This ad makes the reader believe it is restored and because they mentioned first one sold in SF one is led to believe the definition is to bring back to or put back into a former or original state. So I think it is fodder for criticism as such.

Nice car? YES. Fair price? Debatable in my opinion, too high for a totally restored car but the price is ok for a car restored to as I found it.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:05 AM   #51
rotorwrench

I don't know about those cowl lights being anything original or not but they would allow side mounts more readily since they mount up on the cowl belt line. The description mentions the side mounts and cowl lamps were dealer installed so they may be an aftermarket item. The more common 28/29 lamps mount low and don't work well with side mounts.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 09-07-2019 at 08:36 AM. Reason: add info
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:28 AM   #52
daren007

How much $$ invested is moot. I myself do not see a $32000.00 car.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:17 AM   #53
daveymc29

This from Piperas, his dad did have the first one/

Yep..... you are correct. Doug called and shared with me that my old car was listed....but I refuse to look at it. From what he said..... it's not what it used to be.

Thanks for letting me know.

g
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:27 AM   #54
Steve Plucker
BANNED

The following senario may occured with this car:

The earliest Sport Coupe that I have coming out of the San Francisco Assembly plant was *A6017* which went to Loyalton, CA.

This Sport Coupe, *A151666*...Its engine number was stamped in Dearborn on May 24, 1928 thus it was shipped to the SFA after stamping by boat to be put into a Model A Ford (unknown body at the time).

It took on an average, 22 days for the SFA to receive the engine and get it assembled into a Model A (I am referring to my Assembly plant data for the month of May, 1928).

That being the case, it may have come off the assembly line about June 14, 1928 then it was shipped to the dealer in Oakland to be sold on June 20, 1928.

Interesting.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:47 AM   #55
Shemp

One thing that struck me was that the front brake and cross-shaft levers are bolted on rather than pinned.

Aside from not being correct, what are your thoughts on the safety of this practice?

Thanks.
Shemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:05 AM   #56
Railcarmover
BANNED

My Jan 29 Sport coupe has clearly spent its life in CA from the lack of effect from the elements.Engine and frame #983xxx.tank stamp date 1/25/29.Its amazing to me that Ford could assemble a fuel tank and an engine so close in dates given how different the two processes are.they almost achieved 'just in time' assembly..with watches and notebooks.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:32 PM   #57
Gary Karr

Interesting date Pluck. I guess we are assuming that this Sport Coupe was in fact assembled in the San Francisco plant. But, could it not have been assembled an another plant and shipped to the San Francisco dealer?
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 03:18 PM   #58
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Karr View Post
Interesting date Pluck. I guess we are assuming that this Sport Coupe was in fact assembled in the San Francisco plant. But, could it not have been assembled an another plant and shipped to the San Francisco dealer?
Yes Gary...That could of also happened...It would be of interest to see what the assembly plant code on the body's subframe is. That for sure would tell us.

Pluck
Old 09-07-2019, 03:20 PM   #59
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
My Jan 29 Sport coupe has clearly spent its life in CA from the lack of effect from the elements.Engine and frame #983xxx.tank stamp date 1/25/29.Its amazing to me that Ford could assemble a fuel tank and an engine so close in dates given how different the two processes are.they almost achieved 'just in time' assembly..with watches and notebooks.
Railcarmover...

Do you know what your assembly plant code and numbers are?

Pluck
Old 09-07-2019, 04:53 PM   #60
CHuDWah

At least the landau bars are correctly mounted - a common mistake is to put them on upside-down and/or on the wrong sides of the car.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote