Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-20-2016, 09:59 AM   #1
JBill

Default Indiana New Definition of Collector Vehicle

I got a letter yesterday from the Indiana Commissioner of Motor Vehicles explaining that Indiana has changed their definition of a collector vehicle, and I now "must visit a license branch to renew [my] registration and declare that [my] vehicle meets the new definition of a Collector vehicle. Indiana law defines a collector vehicle as a vehicle that is (1) at least 25 years old; (2) owned, operated, restored, maintained, or used as a collector's item, a leisure pursuit, or an investment; and (3) not used primarily for transportation." I guess this means rather than just renew my plates online, I have to actually show up at the license branch and "declare" all these things to be true of my '29 roadster. Is that how the rest of you Hoosier antique car owners read this letter, which I'm sure all of you got? What a nuisance.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:01 AM   #2
JBill

Default Re: Indiana New Definition of Collector Vehicle

PS: Nowhere in the letter does it explain what's "new" about the definition.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:09 AM   #3
DaWizard
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to DaWizard

Whew, sounds to me like you can't use it as a daily driver. Cali has the same thing if you register it as a "Historic Vehicle", which is to and from parades and shows ONLY!

Personally, I think it's over rated and way too restrictive, so I went with a normal old car and regular plates for the time being.

Good Luck.

I just hope it doesn't cost you extra now with the "new" definition.
DaWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:46 AM   #4
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBill View Post
I got a letter yesterday from the Indiana Commissioner of Motor Vehicles explaining that Indiana has changed their definition of a collector vehicle, and I now "must visit a license branch to renew [my] registration and declare that [my] vehicle meets the new definition of a Collector vehicle. Indiana law defines a collector vehicle as a vehicle that is (1) at least 25 years old; (2) owned, operated, restored, maintained, or used as a collector's item, a leisure pursuit, or an investment; and (3) not used primarily for transportation." I guess this means rather than just renew my plates online, I have to actually show up at the license branch and "declare" all these things to be true of my '29 roadster. Is that how the rest of you Hoosier antique car owners read this letter, which I'm sure all of you got? What a nuisance.
How does this compair with the "old" deffinition?

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:03 AM   #5
1930-fordor

In North Carolina things are a little more relaxed. We invited the state patrol officer in charge of antique Autos to visit our club at one of our meetings and explain the details.
(Turned out to be a great club event)
In this state they're only trying to get the cars that are titled as a 31 Ford, but actually is a $80,000 street rod. Like always there just after the tax money.
1930-fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:50 AM   #6
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

It is my opinion that they should not be used as daily drivers unless they can pass a safety check according go today's standards. They should also br rquired to buy regular license plates and regular insurance. Wayn
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:31 PM   #7
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930-fordor View Post
In North Carolina things are a little more relaxed. We invited the state patrol officer in charge of antique Autos to visit our club at one of our meetings and explain the details.
(Turned out to be a great club event)
In this state they're only trying to get the cars that are titled as a 31 Ford, but actually is a $80,000 street rod. Like always there just after the tax money.
yea i think the police have better things to do than hassle a clearly antique car user. Unfortunately if IN is anything like IL calling the DMV is utterly useless so get your paperwork for your model A and bring some pictures and wait in line.

IL has expanded use antique plates so you can drive it all spring summer fall like a normal car but only for shows or maintenance in the winter. True antique plates read pretty close to Indiana up there BUT does disclose you can drive it around for maintenance purposes. Big grey area so in the very rare chance you ever get pulled over (besides the officer wanting to oogle at your car) you can say you just adjusted the toe in and wanted to test the steering, or adjusted the brakes, or trying to diagnose a squeak, etc ive been driving around my chevette for awhile and never had an issue (it even has bright yellow 1980 WI plates on it...) usually they ignore me or give a thumbs up as they pass.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:41 PM   #8
700rpm

"No citizen is safe when the legislature is in session." ---Mark Twain

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:42 PM   #9
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
"No citizen is safe when the legislature is in session." ---Mark Twain
True only in a communist country! What a bunch of B.S. Wayne
Old 12-20-2016, 03:01 PM   #10
1930-fordor

I have never heard of a state law making a decision on when and where you could legally drive your antique car.
Antique plates in NC represent the age and tax value.
If I pay taxes and insurance, and car meets all legal requirements, I drive any where, any time and as often as I like.
But as far as insurance, if they know you drive over x amount of miles in the car per year, they will increase rates.
How much benefit are you getting with the antique plates?
Enough benefits that you would only drive at certain times?
If you buy standard plates, Can you drive any time you wish?
Old 12-20-2016, 03:26 PM   #11
bambooboy

in maryland, we have a one time registration&special sticker if vehicle is 60 yrs old. no yearly bill.got a notice on my 92 trk ,tagged historic, that state police now have the right to pull you over for inspection&not to be used for back&forth to work
bambooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 03:36 PM   #12
DaWizard
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to DaWizard

Quote:
I have never heard of a state law making a decision on when and where you could legally drive your antique car.
Antique plates in NC represent the age and tax value.
If I pay taxes and insurance, and car meets all legal requirements, I drive any where, any time and as often as I like.
But as far as insurance, if they know you drive over x amount of miles in the car per year, they will increase rates.
How much benefit are you getting with the antique plates?
Enough benefits that you would only drive at certain times?
If you buy standard plates, Can you drive any time you wish
?
Oh heavens, do not register as an Antique car out here, they charge you extra, restrict how much you can drive, (to and from parades and servicing) and the Insurance reflects that too, limiting the mileage/year in Ca.

If you get the standard plates, the road's the limit.

I may get a personalized plate from the 50's Black and Yellow plates if it's not taken already, but I don't know if I want to spend the extra $40.00/year for that. We'll see in a month or two.
DaWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 04:35 PM   #13
Jeff/Illinois

SeaSlugs, I've run Antique Vehicle plates for over 35 years in Illinois, and have NEVER been stopped by any cops. I run YOM plates on two of the vehicles and never been bothered doing that.

Paper said today that the Ill. State Police aren't writing speeding tickets like they used to, and traffic deaths from speeding are on the rise.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 04:56 PM   #14
Synchro909

Over here, any vehicle 25 years old or more is eligible for what we call a "Club Permit" To get his car on the road with a CP, the owner must be a member of a club recognised by the registration authority, have the vehicle pass a road worthiness test and pay a fee (which is cheap compared to full registration). Before driving on each trip, the driver must fill in a line in a log book. The standard permit allows 45 days of driving per year but an extra 45 can be purchased. No more than 1 extra period is allowed. Within that (max of) 90 days a year, we can drive anywhere anytime.
The plates issued to cars on a CP are different from any on a fully registered car and it cannot be used for commercial purposes.
We think we have a great system and act accordingly. If I or anyone I know sees the privilege being rorted, we have no hesitation reporting the offender to the appropriate authority.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:50 PM   #15
Gary WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBill View Post
They just want to look at some Great American Vehicles!!
Old 12-20-2016, 11:33 PM   #16
1930-fordor

way to many restriction on old cars

Last edited by 1930-fordor; 12-21-2016 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:36 AM   #17
ian Simpson

Our 'antique plates' in Alberta are a one time purchase and do not need to be renewed annually so I do not whine about so-called abusive tax collecting . For the non-renewal privilege we suffer certain restrictions to our driving.

In order to keep the old cars roadworthy, I do lots of maintenance that requires many test drives, sometimes to a coffee shop or restaurant. Sometimes even with my grandchildren as passengers as their hearing is much more acute than mine to note problems!
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 01:08 AM   #18
Dodge

When we started in this game in California the plates had a one time charge of $25 for Horseless Carriage plates. This was supposed to be a one time charge.
Somewhere along the way it was changed and now the registration is $92 a year instead for Horseless Carriage plates.
I still have two of those old plates and use them as I never got anything in the mail saying
they weren't good. Never been stopped with them. The other cars have the newer plates.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 04:17 AM   #19
Synchro909

Quote:
don't be offended, this is not personnel
There is so much wrong here, I don't know where to start.
1 (the owner must be a member of a club recognized by the registration authority,)
my government telling me i must be a member of a club, that they approve. WOW!
2 (Before driving on each trip, the driver must fill in a line in a log book.)
WOW again, what is the penalty if you get caught driving without filling in the book? $$$$$$
3 ( The standard permit allows 45 days of driving per year)( 90 days max)
are they trying to make it so hard on the antique car owner that no one will have a old car?
4 (we can drive anywhere anytime.)
I DON'T THINK SO! not from where I'm sitting
5 (We think we have a great system and act accordingly. If I or anyone I know sees the privilege being rorted, we have no hesitation reporting the offender to the appropriate authority)
WOW, This one made me speechless
I am very lucky to live where I do, but if we had such laws here,
I could not imagine me or anyone else I know reporting a fellow antique car owner to the authorities because he had not filled out his log book,
or god forbid he be crazy enough to drive 91 days in a year.
and again, not personnel. I'm just in shock, I never knew such a place still existed after the fall of the Nazi's.
maybe it's just me, but that seams to be total control of the law.
PM sent.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:35 AM   #20
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian Simpson View Post
Our 'antique plates' in Alberta are a one time purchase and do not need to be renewed annually so I do not whine about so-called abusive tax collecting . For the non-renewal privilege we suffer certain restrictions to our driving.

In order to keep the old cars roadworthy, I do lots of maintenance that requires many test drives, sometimes to a coffee shop or restaurant. Sometimes even with my grandchildren as passengers as their hearing is much more acute than mine to note problems!
That is called abusing the system! Wayne