Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-19-2018, 01:44 PM   #1
Rich Largent

Default 56 throttle linkage

Is the throttle linkage bellcrank the same for both automatic and standard transmission cars? Sounds like a silly question I know but I have a 56 Victoria that originally came with a 292 and automatic and now has a 312 standard with overdrive. When the gas pedal is depressed the carburetor arm on the bellcrank hits the firewall before the carburetor is fully open. I don’t know if the original 292 had a two or four barrel. It currently has a Teapot. If the linkage between the carb and bellcrank is shortened the bellcrank arm going to the accelerator bottoms out on the firewall. Still won’t open the carb fully.
Rich Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:00 PM   #2
Robz51

Default Re: 56 throttle linkage

I would say probably not. My car is a 52 Merc that originally came with an automatic. We changed to stick w/overdrive and There is an extra rod and bell rank for the kickdown. I works in my situation but definitely not correct. I know yours is a 56 with a Y block but I bet it is similar.
Rob
Robz51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:36 PM   #3
AldeanFan

It’s probably different.

I bought 3 linkages for my ‘54 before I found one I could modify to work.
My car is a ‘54 with a 292, Holley carb and fordomatic. The car originally came with a 239 y block and fordomatic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2018, 07:47 PM   #4
Oldmics
BANNED

On standard shift vehicles there is no rear manifold bellcrank.

It is controlled directly from the firewall linkage.

Automatics use bellcrank linkages and that is for the kickdown rod mechanism.

Oldmics
Oldmics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:05 PM   #5
paul2748

Old Mics is right. On my 54, it was originally an auto with the bellcrank. I converted it to stick hen I put in a 312 and just used the linkage from the firewall. Had to extend it though.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:14 AM   #6
Daves55Sedan

The factory intake bellcrank for the 55/56 292 with 2-bbl is different between standard and automatic. Cars equipped with Ford-O-Matic include a spring loaded mechanism on the bellcrank for the transmission passing gear link.
292 and 312 engines had a completely different bellcrank on the 4-bbl intake manifolds from the 2-bbl.
The best source for adjusting the factory accelerator linkage properly is in the Ford-O-Matic shop manual, but that is for cars with automatic. I guess you could use it and just ignore the passing gear link adjustment if you have manual transmission.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:22 AM   #7
Daves55Sedan

Since yours is converted to a standard trans now, you can probably get away with abandoning both the firewall and manifold bellcranks and all their associated linkage and use a mechanical cable operated by the gas pedal, but you'd need to make a bracket to hold the cable on the intake and probably convert to a newer style gas pedal that works with the cable.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:49 AM   #8
KULTULZ

Post Re: 56 throttle linkage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Largent View Post

Is the throttle linkage bellcrank the same for both automatic and standard transmission cars? Sounds like a silly question I know...

Doesn't sound silly to me...

You need to know, right?

Quote:
...but I have a 56 Victoria that originally came with a 292 and automatic and now has a 312 standard with overdrive. When the gas pedal is depressed the carburetor arm on the bellcrank hits the firewall before the carburetor is fully open. I don’t know if the original 292 had a two or four barrel. It currently has a Teapot. If the linkage between the carb and bellcrank is shortened the bellcrank arm going to the accelerator bottoms out on the firewall. Still won’t open the carb fully.
What you have to take into consideration is design differences between the year and applications. All parts must be from the same original application unless you are performing a swap (MIX-MATCH) of some kind.

- INSERT -

- SOME 4V STD TRANS LINKAGE DOES NOT USE THE MANIFOLD MTB BRACKET - SOME DO -

Otherwise you will have to go with a cable setup (custom assembly) with parts from a vendor such as LOKAR.

Here are some TYPICAL 55/56 ILLUSTRATIONS to show the difference(s) between the ST and AT BELL-CRANKS-

- STD TRANS -

- AUTO TRANS -

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thottle Linkage- 1955-56 FORD 272 FM.jpg (44.5 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg Throttle Linkage - 1955FORD 272 STD TRANS.jpg (65.6 KB, 204 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)

Last edited by KULTULZ; 04-26-2018 at 06:52 PM. Reason: TO DEFINE EXPLANATION
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 04:28 PM   #9
Rich Largent

Hey folks. Thanks for all the great info. If indeed standard shift cars did not require the additional bellcrank on the intake, only the one on the firewall, the bellcrank arm connecting to the carburetor would have to be longer in order to provide enough travel to fully open the carb. If so, if I assume the bellcrank currently installed was left in place when the 292 and auto trans were removed arenÂ’t I still looking for a different firewall bellcrank that will have a longer arm? I want to keep the car as correct as possible and as it is my understanding standard shift 312Â’s were available in models other than the T-Birds in 56, IÂ’d like to determine if such a bellcrank exists before I start designing a cable hook up. It just seems as though IÂ’m missing something very basic! Thanks again everyone.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:04 PM   #10
AldeanFan

I think there is a bell crank on the intake on std shift cars,
I’m pretty sure I came across one on eBay when I was looking for the correct one for my car. I almost bought it then realized it didn’t have an arm for the kickdown linkage.

Without the bellcrank on the intake the firewall bellcrank would have to be different.

You could use an intake bellcrank for an automatic car, just ignore the kickdown part of the bell crank.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:17 PM   #11
KULTULZ

Question Re: 56 throttle linkage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Largent View Post

Hey folks. Thanks for all the great info.

If indeed standard shift cars did not require the additional bellcrank on the intake, only the one on the firewall, the bellcrank arm connecting to the carburetor would have to be longer in order to provide enough travel to fully open the carb. If so, if I assume the bellcrank currently installed was left in place when the 292 and auto trans were removed aren’t I still looking for a different firewall bellcrank that will have a longer arm? I want to keep the car as correct as possible and as it is my understanding standard shift 312’s were available in models other than the T-Birds in 56, I’d like to determine if such a bellcrank exists before I start designing a cable hook up. It just seems as though I’m missing something very basic! Thanks again everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AldeanFan View Post

I think there is a bell crank on the intake on std shift cars,
I’m pretty sure I came across one on eBay when I was looking for the correct one for my car. I almost bought it then realized it didn’t have an arm for the kickdown linkage.

Without the bellcrank on the intake the firewall bellcrank would have to be different.

You could use an intake bellcrank for an automatic car, just ignore the kickdown part of the bell crank.

There is more than one application so you need to find the one listed for your exact application. You also need to verify the rest of the linkage is for your application or you will have to fabricate.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Last edited by KULTULZ; 04-26-2018 at 06:57 PM. Reason: TO TRY TO BETTER DEFINE
Old 04-22-2018, 05:27 PM   #12
AldeanFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post

I guess I need to stop posting as no one seems to read them...

BASIC PN 7A185 is the STD trans bell crank on the intake...

There is more than one application so you need to find the one listed for your exact application. You also need to verify the rest of the linkage is for your application or you will have to fabricate.

That proves it,
Standard shift intake bell crank does exist

Old 04-22-2018, 05:39 PM   #13
Rich Largent

Okay. So now it seems we have two themes going here. One says there is no intake mounted mechanism for manual transmissions and yet the diagram for the 272 clearly shows an offset bracket that would bolt to the intake. Yipes! It almost seems as though the suggestion to find and install an automatic bracket set up and disregard the step down feature is the way to go. Does anyone out there have a 56 Fairlane with a manual transmission and Y Block with a Teapot? Maybe that should have been the first question? Thanks again everyone for your thoughtful input.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:53 PM   #14
KULTULZ

Post Re: 56 throttle linkage

The 9725 shown on the PARTS ILL (above post) is different between a STD and AT car also.

EDIT-

- WHY IS IT ... -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 04-22-2018 at 06:41 PM. Reason: ADD PHOTO
Old 04-22-2018, 07:36 PM   #15
Daves55Sedan

Lets see if I can make this simple. KULTULZ shows the illustrations for both manual trans and Ford-o-matic linkage.
Regardless which one you have, you still have a firewall bellcrank ANNNND an intake bellcrank. I OWN both types. I can hold them in my hand. They are seen for sale on epay all the time. Trust me on this.
You need for the standard trans the firewall bellcrank #9725 with the stabilizer bracket that bolts to the top of the back of the engine block #9830 ANNND then you need intake bellcrank 7A185, WITH all the interconnecting linkage shown in the illustration that KULTULZ posted.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:33 PM   #16
mercman from oz

I thought that I would ask a question on this Post, as I have a problem. When I bought my 56 Mercury, the original 312 was completely dismantled with bits missing. These 312 Y Blocks were never available in Australia. I managed to obtain a running 272 which we installed, but in recent times, no oil was getting to the top end. I had two choices, get the 272 looked at, or start from the beginning and get the original 312 rebuilt. I chose the latter, and it has been done and put in my Mercury. What I am having problems with is the Linkage from the Accelerator to the Carburetor. In the top photo, you can see it all hooked up correctly when I had the 272 in the car. Now, with the 312 in the car an d rebuilt non original 4 barrel Carb, I have problems. with the original set-up, when I put my foot on the Accelerator, that lever pulled towards the cowl, as did the Carb linkage. However, on the "new" Carb, instead of pulling, I need the linkage to push. Can anyone advise me what kind of linkage I should use to achieve the required results?
mercman from oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:38 PM   #17
Rich Largent

Hey Dave’s55. Thanks for the explanation. I think I have enough to go on now. Thanks everyone.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:54 PM   #18
miker98038

Mercman, a picture with the carb unwrapped would really help. I’ve seen bolt on plates to linkage to do that, and center pivot intermediate linkage. But more likely on a marine or multiple carb applications. There’s got to be an easier way out for a single 4 barrel. I understand you’ve got considerable experience, so I’m at a loss without seeing the carb.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:49 PM   #19
mercman from oz

Here is a picture of the replacement Carburetor on my 312 Y Block.
mercman from oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:05 PM   #20
dmsfrr

To change the motion from 'push' to 'pull'....
Is there enough clearance to move the pivot pin from the lower part of the arm to the upper part without interfering with something else? Might it hit the underside of the air cleaner?
Is a bolt hole already there? Would you get full movement of the throttle?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oz carb c.jpg (130.9 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 04-23-2018 at 09:20 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote