Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-02-2020, 05:35 PM   #1
chiro

Default Flathead V8 operating temp?

Hi all,
1930-'31 Ford coupe AV8 hot rod. '39 trans, banjo rear, closed driveline. 59AB bored .030, stock cam, two carb manifold with Holley 94's, Edelbrock heads. 150 psi compression in all cylinders. Runs great.

My 59 AB runs very cool. When I first completed my build it was running only at 140 degrees and not running well, stumbling a lot, so I put the Volvo thermostats in it at 170 degrees. All was good. Engine ran much better settling in it about 160 degrees during the warmer months. However in colder weather like now the engine settles in at 150-160 degrees and does not run as well, stumbling a bit but not as terribly as when it was running at 140 degrees initially. The cooling system is obviously in very good condition, able to keep the flatty well below overheating even in very high outside temperatures.

My question is, what exactly is the correct operating temperature for my flatty and should I go to a higher temperature thermostat as the engine seems to run better when it is at a higher operating temp. I'm thinking it should be running about 180 degrees. any suggestions?
Thanks,
Andy
chiro is offline   Reply With Quote