Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-01-2017, 11:46 PM   #1
goodcar

Default Lightend Flywheel v8 Pressure Plate problem

Recently purchased a lightened balanced flywheel with a v8 pressure plate to go with my newly rebuilt engine. After installing engine this weekend now having a problem with something making a racket every time the clutch is pushed. Finally removed the bell housing inspection plate and discovered that the adjusting nuts on the 3 pressure plate fingers are striking the flanges or whatever you call them on the clutch disk that hold the 6 springs in place. 20 pounds was taken off the flywheel. I didn't ask for that much but that's what I got. Thinking that this maybe flattened the flywheel a little too much causing the pressure plate along with the adjusting screws to be too close to those flanges when the clutch is pushed. Bought this from one of the reputable suppliers so don't want to mention names. Need other opinions on this please. Thanks
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:51 PM   #2
RawhideKid
BANNED

Default Re: Lightend Flywheel v8 Pressure Plate problem

Did you pre-assemble the pressure plate and clutch plate and adjust the fingers?

It is easiest done while on the bench, but can be done after installed in the car, but with great difficulty.

The fingers need to be 5/8 in deep from the pressure plate outer face.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:10 AM   #3
updraught

Like this?

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ate+adjustment
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:23 AM   #4
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcar View Post
Recently purchased a lightened balanced flywheel with a v8 pressure plate to go with my newly rebuilt engine. After installing engine this weekend now having a problem with something making a racket every time the clutch is pushed. Finally removed the bell housing inspection plate and discovered that the adjusting nuts on the 3 pressure plate fingers are striking the flanges or whatever you call them on the clutch disk that hold the 6 springs in place. 20 pounds was taken off the flywheel. I didn't ask for that much but that's what I got. Thinking that this maybe flattened the flywheel a little too much causing the pressure plate along with the adjusting screws to be too close to those flanges when the clutch is pushed. Bought this from one of the reputable suppliers so don't want to mention names. Need other opinions on this please. Thanks
Is the disk in facing proper side forward ?
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:20 AM   #5
goodcar

No I did not adjust the fingers. Was advised by supplier that assembly was shipped already properly adjusted.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:25 AM   #6
goodcar

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Is the disk in facing proper side forward ?
That was my first thought too but yes the disk has proper side forward.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:43 AM   #7
Marshall V. Daut

If the disk is the correct one, it's almost impossible to put it in backwards. The hub sticks out farther on one side, which precludes it from going against the flywheel side. The hub will rest against the four crankshaft bolt heads, creating a gap between the disk and the flywheel face.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:46 AM   #8
Dave in MN

Quote:

Most machine shops will not take material from the working face of the flywheel to lighten it. Only what is necessary to flatten the surface should be taken off. If too much material was taken from the face...you typically have a problem with the flywheel bolts striking the springs on the forward side of the disk. Have you checked with your machine shop to inquire where they removed material to lighten it by 20 pounds?
Please keep us informed as to the cause and solution.
Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:30 AM   #9
goodcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MN View Post
Most machine shops will not take material from the working face of the flywheel to lighten it. Only what is necessary to flatten the surface should be taken off. If too much material was taken from the face...you typically have a problem with the flywheel bolts striking the springs on the forward side of the disk. Have you checked with your machine shop to inquire where they removed material to lighten it by 20 pounds?
Please keep us informed as to the cause and solution.
Good Day!
Material was taken off the same side that pressure plate attaches. Can see dimples where bolt holes were for previous older style pressure plate. Another concern, the flywheel recess where the pilot bearing goes is not open all the way through like my old one was. Were all Model A flywheels' pilot recesses open all the way through or do I have something other than a Model A flywheel??
Old 08-02-2017, 11:03 AM   #10
goodcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
If the disk is the correct one, it's almost impossible to put it in backwards. The hub sticks out farther on one side, which precludes it from going against the flywheel side. The hub will rest against the four crankshaft bolt heads, creating a gap between the disk and the flywheel face.
Marshall
Ditto
Old 08-02-2017, 11:18 AM   #11
RawhideKid
BANNED

Many many pictures will enlighten US so WE can enlighten YOU!!

Take some pictures and post them up so we can stop speculating and help you out with this problem.

At this point, I would say it is time to pull the engine and find out what is going wrong before you do permanent damage that will wind up costing you way more than the time to pull the engine.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:21 AM   #12
Dave in MN

Quote:
Material was taken off the same side that pressure plate attaches. Can see dimples where bolt holes were for previous older style pressure plate. Another concern, the flywheel recess where the pilot bearing goes is not open all the way through like my old one was. Were all Model A flywheels' pilot recesses open all the way through or do I have something other than a Model A flywheel??
To fit a V-8 style pressure plate, it would require removing the raised outer ring or flange. Seeing the dimples is normal when the outer ring is removed that held the Model A style pressure plate.

I see these dimples all the time when I lighten flywheels. So the question is still out there if the face was removed excessively.

I guess I have never seen a flywheel where the pilot bearing opening was not machined all the way through. I have worked with lots of flywheels...so I don't know what you have.

You need to contact the reputable supplier you purchased the combined unit from and discuss your problem.
Good Day!

Last edited by Dave in MN; 08-02-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:24 AM   #13
Marshall V. Daut

As long as the pilot bearing bottoms out either inside the flywheel's center recess or against the crankshaft's rear flange, you're o.k. If the pilot bearing sticks out more than a titch (technical term), there's a problem. Some pilot bearings have a raised rim around the outside to prevent the bearing from going too deeply into a flywheel. Other pilot bearings don't have this ring, relying instead upon a dead end recess in the flywheel or once again, against the crank's flange to seat it. The rim of the one style pilot bearing will stick out a little, but that's o.k. It's designed to do that. But if the style with no rim sticks out more than a 1/16th-1/8th of an inch or so after seating, either it's the wrong pilot bearing or something is lodged inside the flywheel recess that is preventing it from bottoming out.
I have installed several V-8 flywheels, but I guess I never really paid any attention to whether the center hole is a dead end or goes all the way through, like in a Model A flywheel. The pilot bearing always went in as it's supposed to, so there was no need to be concerned about that hole. I'll check the V-8 flywheels I have in the garage and post again.
Marshall

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 08-02-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:13 PM   #14
duke36

had similar issue; discovered that I forgot to adjust the clutch pedal clearance (freeplay) enough !!!--- and the fingers were engaging the throwout bearing in addition to one finger out of adjustment causing premature chatter. Mine had lock nuts and was able to adjust in the car thru the inspection plate hole. Fortunately the throwout bearing wasn't scored.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote