Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-07-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
Doug Cox

Smile Any Standard Roadster going to French Lick ??

In the past, there has been discussion about towing a roadster on an open trailer. I thought of ways to reduce wind, rain and dust damage while towing and thought of using a Tonneau cover like you see on European sports cars. The idea is to fold down the roadster top and install the tonneau cover to protect the interior from the elements.

With the help of the ladies at the local fabric store, I proceeded to make one from soft vinyl that has a soft fabric inside. Now that it is made, I would like to get it to someone that can use it. I will be arriving at French Lick mid-day Tuesday and staying at the Host Hotel. You can email me, we can arrange to meet, and I can show you how it works. I have a closed trailer and made the cover thinking I would write another article for one of the Model A publications. So this cover if free to a good home.
Doug Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:03 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Any Standard Roadster going to French Lick ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Cox View Post
In the past, there has been discussion about towing a roadster on an open trailer. I thought of ways to reduce wind, rain and dust damage while towing and thought of using a Tonneau cover like you see on European sports cars. The idea is to fold down the roadster top and install the tonneau cover to protect the interior from the elements.

With the help of the ladies at the local fabric store, I proceeded to make one from soft vinyl that has a soft fabric inside. Now that it is made, I would like to get it to someone that can use it. I will be arriving at French Lick mid-day Tuesday and staying at the Host Hotel. You can email me, we can arrange to meet, and I can show you how it works. I have a closed trailer and made the cover thinking I would write another article for one of the Model A publications. So this cover if free to a good home.
What a great offer.

I wish it would fit my 28 Phaeton. Maybe it would have prevented the theft of my dash plaques yesterday while I was in the store for 5 minutes.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
Jason in TX

Wish I was going. I would take you up on the offer. Very kind of you!
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
Tom from Drippin'

Can you post some photos. I sure could have used one for my '31 Delux when we went to Big Bend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1186.jpg (55.1 KB, 23 views)
Old 06-07-2010, 02:06 PM   #5
Doug Cox

I can post some photos and hope to statre on the article with all the photos..
Old 06-07-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
dcline3037

Wish I'd have had one a few months ago while traveling back from NM to North Dakota! It would have certainly helped keep the weather out and kept me from making a dozen stops and tarping along the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1928 Model Leaving NM for ND 4-23-10 (Medium).jpg (66.1 KB, 24 views)
dcline3037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:29 AM   #7
Doug Cox

Default Picture of Roadster Tonneau cover

some of you have asked for a picture of the tonneau cover that I made. I have a fellow with a 1929 roadster going to French Lick and we hope that it will fit. If not anyone with a 1930 Standard roadster can still email me and get in line. Because of the top iron size of the Delux roadster this cover will be too big and just flop around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0352.jpg (58.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 06-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #8
dcline3037

Looks like a pretty nice set-up. How did you secure the front section near the windshield?
dcline3037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:05 PM   #9
Doug Cox

First, I made this as an idea to help solve the problem of hauling a roadster on an open trailer. This is the first idea that I had. A better idea is to make a cover that also goes over the windshield and utilize the "Lift-the-Dot" snaps on the Windshield stanchions. That way you don’t have to lower the windshield. And “Lift-the-Dot” snaps are much, much stronger.

I initially thought of using the UF40 clinch snaps on the sides that match the side curtain attachment points. But, I don’t think they would hold the cover tight enough going down the road at interstate speeds. That is AFTER I bought four UF40 snaps at $12-$14 bucks apiece. That was ~$50 that did not pan out. To finish the project, I defaulted to using small bungee cords hooked to the door handle in such a way as to not touch the body and chafe the paint. I also ran one cord between the top door hinges. The other point is a simple hoop over the windshield pull (very little pressure here). This is crude but it works. No, it is not total rain proof but it will keep the bugs and road grim off the upholstery. That is why an over the windshield cover would be better, yet more material required.

Like I said this was more or less a “proof of concept” prototype. I’m sure there is someone out there that has a much better idea on how to skin this cat..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0355.jpg (46.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0358.jpg (42.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0360.jpg (48.2 KB, 9 views)