Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-28-2022, 07:04 AM   #1
Lenny Bruce

Default Winter storage

Hello all! I have a question regarding starting our Model A after 6-7 months of winter storage. Would it be wise to add a little oil in each cylinder before first start up this spring? I hate to fire it up bone dry after sitting all winter. Any thoughts?
Lenny Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 07:10 AM   #2
Bob Bidonde

Default Re: Winter storage

Crank the engine with the starter for several seconds while the ignition is off when you start it after storage. Putting oil in the cylinders will dirty the spark plugs.
Old 10-28-2022, 07:12 AM   #3
Lenny Bruce

I will do that thanks Bob!
Old 10-28-2022, 07:27 AM   #4
WHN

I leave in the Northeast. For 60 plus years I have been putting Model A’s away from about mid October until late April. This is my process, it has “never” failed me.

Change oil and grease. Completely clean car. Check tire pressure including spare. I leave as little gas as possible in the tank. Start car and run with gas valve shut off until engine stops. Drain radiator. Remove fuse. Cover car. I check car every couple of weeks for mice. I charge battery also every month or so for about 1/2 hour.

In the spring, I just add new gas, make sure the battery is completely charged, again check tire pressure, add water to radiator, and start car. Good to go!

60 years. One car I owned for 43 years. Never a problem.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 07:31 AM   #5
Lenny Bruce

That’s awesome! Thanks friend!
Old 10-28-2022, 07:41 AM   #6
Benson

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
To prevent gasoline leaks.

1. Good idea to shut off fuel.

2. disconnect line at carb.

2a. Remove bottom of carb and drain gasoline from the bowl and blow out jets so that gas does not stay in the jets and then turn to goo like today's gas has a habit of doing.

3. loosen line at sediment bowl.

4. now rotate fuel line upwards so carb end is ABOVE fuel level in tank ... that way no gravity flow.

5. Tighten line at sediment bowl.

This way if fuel shut off valve leaks ... no fuel on floor to start a fire.

OR if someone gets in car while in storage and opens the fuel shutoff valve, there will be no leaks if float valve in carb fails to hold!

6.Also from 60 years of experience it is not a good idea to start car every month like some will say ... UNLESS you are going to drive it for a 1/2 hour or more and get it thoroughly warmed up each time.

If not warmed up water vapor collects in engine and most importantly in the muffler and rusts various parts.

Last edited by Benson; 10-28-2022 at 07:59 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 08:40 AM   #7
nkaminar

My car is in storage while I am away for 6 months. It is on jack stands to keep the pressure off the tires. The main battery switch is off. The battery is on a maintainer. The carburetor has been run dry and the fuel is off (fuel valve does not leak). The garage is sealed to keep critters out. No one is there to mess with the car. The tank is full to keep condensation out. The garage does not get to freezing temperature and the coolant system has 50/50 antifreeze mixture in it just in case. Some will reduce the air pressure in the tires while in storage and on jack stands. I have a dehumidifier with the drain run outside.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 10:20 AM   #8
Bill G

It does get really cold where I live and we get a good snow in December and January. Last winter, I show that I filled the tank at least once each month from November through April, so I never moth-balled it. Fortunately, they don't salt the roads here. When it gets below 20, the manifold heater doesn't do much and if it is colder than that or wet/icy, I won't drive it anyway. But, there are lots of times I can.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote