Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-14-2023, 06:26 PM   #1
MattDeAmicis

Default Looking for help with Generator and Regulator in the San Fernando Valley

Does anyone know of a shop or garage or a person in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles or around Southern California that can help me get my generator and voltage regulator dialed in? I have 1946 Super Deluxe with a 59ab flathead that i just can't seem to get the voltage right on. The car is all stock except for a Stromberg E Fire distributor and wires and a Pertronix 1.5 ohm coil. I have read plenty of helpful threads on this board about adjusting regulators but I am at the point where I would like some hands on that know their way around a flathead and a 6V positive ground system.

Thanks.....Matt
MattDeAmicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 09:16 AM   #2
wga

Default Re: Looking for help with Generator and Regulator in the San Fernando Valley

What is the voltage, engine running at the battery now? What was it before? Did you replace / rebuild the generator?
Some back story please
Old 10-16-2023, 01:33 AM   #3
isingsegment

Default Re: Looking for help with Generator and Regulator in the San Fernando Valley

Although I have found a lot of useful information on this board's discussions about the setting of regulators, I have reached the stage where I need some hands-on assistance from someone who is familiar with using a flathead and a 6V positive ground system.
Old 10-16-2023, 02:03 AM   #4
koates

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
All you need to do initially is test the voltage across the battery or at the battery terminal of the voltage regulator. The engine needs to be running at quite a bit above idle speed to read the charging voltage because generators do not charge at engine idle speed. Use a GOOD QUALITY digital meter set on DC VOLTS. The reading should be at 7.5 volts and test for several minutes to allow reading to settle. You can do that easily for starters and then let me know the results. Normal voltage reading across a fully charged battery at rest, engine not running is 6.3 volts. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote