Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-08-2023, 02:42 PM   #1
flatmotor40

Default Stromberg 97

Have a set of new 97's from Stromberg and when i drive it a few miles and stop I have to choke it a little to get it cranked again.Like it is a little flooded.I have 2 inch phenolic spacers under both carbs.This just started couple months ago.Had these for a year or so.I have one of his distributors in it also.
flatmotor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 05:23 PM   #2
cas3

Default Re: Stromberg 97

If it was flooded, one would have the throttle and choke wide open to get some air in there, not choke it. What makes you think its flooded, black smoke on start up?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 06:34 PM   #3
tubman

Oh-Oh; "E-Fire" distributor.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 07:55 AM   #4
flatmotor40

Why do you say Oh Oh on the E fire.When I first crank it it fires before it turns over a couple times.And let it sit for 5-10 minutes it is hard to fire.But crank it right up after shutting it down and it fires right up.
Old 09-29-2023, 08:12 AM   #5
koates

A vacuum leak in the intake manifold somewhere. Too much air getting in and a lean mixture is the result. Thats why you have to choke it. Use a vacuum gauge to check this or spray around the intake manifold with some aerostart or similar to find the leaky place. Regards, Kevim.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 10:38 AM   #6
Lawson Cox

Coil/condensor

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 11:03 AM   #7
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
Coil/condensor
He has a Stromberg "E-Fire" electronic ignition, so the condenser is out.

The reason for the "Oh-Oh" is that they have proven to be problematic in the past. A search on this forum will produce several instances of them failing unexpectedly and prematurely.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 03:30 PM   #8
BobR35

Hey guys, I'm reading this and wondering if it might be vapor locked? I'm saying that thinking the car is in a warm climate like I am. If I drive my '35 in this 90* Florida heat and turn it off for a for a few minutes, I have to turn on the electric fuel pump to overcome the situation. Just my thoughts.....
BobR35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 02:13 AM   #9
35Phaeton

Vapor lock is a very real possibility. Installing an electric fuel pump usually negates vapor lock, if you put the pressure regulator very close to your carburetor. The needle/float operates at 3-4 psig in our early V8's, and couple that pressure with our hot climates and steel fuel lines, we have vapor lock issues. I had a gorgeous '49 Hudson convertible that vapor locked nearly every time I drove it in the summer. A 90 psig pump at the tank with a regulator on the firewall, next to the carburetor, solved that problem. I do not have such a system on my recently purchased '35 Phaeton, but I already purchased the pump and regulator just in case. I hate to limit out on my AAA tows.

Good luck.
35Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 02:27 AM   #10
35Phaeton

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
He has a Stromberg "E-Fire" electronic ignition, so the condenser is out.

The reason for the "Oh-Oh" is that they have proven to be problematic in the past. A search on this forum will produce several instances of them failing unexpectedly and prematurely.

I have a 6volt, positive ground Stromberg/Pertronix distributor with an E-Flame 40K, 1.4 ohm coil, and it starts every time in a flash, and runs beautifully. I might add that I had to install 2/0 battery cables to reduce starter drag voltage drop below what the distributor requires (6 to 14 volts). A second alternative is to install an 8 volt battery. An old worn starter with stock cables will give the impression that the distributor has ceased to function, when in reality, the distributor voltage just dropped below what is required. I also opened the spark plug gap to 0.035".
35Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 07:12 AM   #11
flatmotor40

I have only an electric fuel pump.I have 2" spacers under both carbs.It does it early in the morning or late in the day so I don't think it is vapor lock.Having an issue today with the charging system.Alternator not showing charge on my volt meter.But getting 2 different reading from battery and from alt connection.I guess these old things just keeps up working.
Old 10-03-2023, 03:28 PM   #12
BobR35

Good info! Thanks
BobR35 is offline   Reply With Quote