Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-07-2018, 01:17 PM   #1
wgreeley

Default 36 Ford Oil Filter

I'm considering adding an oil filter to my 36 Flathead. This appears to be the correct unit. Is it a one shot filter; i.e. you discard after an oil change? It doesn't appear to have a cartridge.

wgreeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:55 PM   #2
cas3

Default Re: 36 Ford Oil Filter

that one goes in your display case of ford nik nacs. you need the later one with a replaceable cartridge. more common on 40 48 motors and it will bolt on your heads. or, after market that bolts to the fire wall. not 8ba 49 and up, different bolt pattern.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:17 PM   #3
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgreeley View Post
I'm considering adding an oil filter to my 36 Flathead. This appears to be the correct unit. Is it a one shot filter; i.e. you discard after an oil change? It doesn't appear to have a cartridge.

That is the correct filter if authenticity matters to you. You'll need to find the correct bracket to install this. To that I wish you the best of luck - the brackets are rare.
If authenticity doesn't matter then I tend to agree with the second post - install the later filter housing on the left cylinder head. It utilizes a common "throw away" cartridge.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:33 PM   #4
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
that one goes in your display case of ford nik nacs. you need the later one with a replaceable cartridge. more common on 40 48 motors and it will bolt on your heads. or, after market that bolts to the fire wall. not 8ba 49 and up, different bolt pattern.
And put the box on display along with the filter. Harder to find the box than the filter.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:14 AM   #5
Don Rogers

WGreeley, If you are planning on adding a functional oil filter then go with a later unit with replaceable filter. If you are going with authenticity, then there is a problem. Your unit was not available in 1936. You have a later replacement filter. The 1936 version of this filter (51-18662) had an inlet fitting on one end and an outlet fitting on the other end. A new additional filter (74-18662) with a dual inlet/outlet fitting on one end was introduced in 1937 to fit the new 60 hp engine. In 1938, both filters were replaced by (1) new filter (51-18862-B). It had dual fittings on one end and a single fitting on the other end. One of the fittings was sealed with a pipe plug allowing you to choose the 60hp or 85hp configuration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51-18660.jpg (66.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg VIII-25B 74-18660-A TIFF.jpg (72.0 KB, 36 views)
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:12 AM   #6
tubman

Being an 8BA guy, I am ignorant about stuff like this. Like the O/P, I have to ask : Was the entire metal filter to be discarded when it came time to change it? If so, what was the recommended change interval? Looks like it would be relatively expense way to keep your oil clean; not at all in line with what I know of Henry Ford.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:21 PM   #7
Don Rogers

Yes, The entire filter was thrown away. These canisters were used on many brands of vehicles during this time period. I have no specific info on how often to change them. Ford literature says to change the filter regularly!!
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:14 PM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Being an 8BA guy, I am ignorant about stuff like this. Like the O/P, I have to ask : Was the entire metal filter to be discarded when it came time to change it? If so, what was the recommended change interval? Looks like it would be relatively expense way to keep your oil clean; not at all in line with what I know of Henry Ford.
Think about what we do now days, the whole metal filter gets tossed, housing and all, not just the filter material inside.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote