Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-19-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
CC33

Default Recommendations for temp gauge and sensor

I would like to add temp gauges to my '33. What are the most common that folks are using. (It's a "36 engine)
CC33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:44 AM   #2
CC33

Default Re: Recommendations for temp gauge and sensor

Current temp taken at the heads just behind the pump is 215. I used a digital thermometer and both sides are at the same temp.

Just thinking of adding gauges to be safe. Thoughts???
Old 08-20-2011, 08:08 AM   #3
G.M.

CC33 This is high for driving temperatures and will lead to boiling over in traffic. If this temperature was taken with the car sitting and not moving for a period of time due to the poor air movement from just the fan the temperatures will be up there. Put a large house type fan right up AGAINST the grill and put it on high speed. run the engine RPMs equal to about 20 MPH and take the temperatures where you took them on the pumps writeing them down every 5 minutes for 1/2 hour. Then we can determine if you have a problem or not. This is the temperature it will run at under normal driving. There are to many variables in taking the temperature when driving the car. The temperatures you get will be what you will get when driving when air from forward motion is being forced though the radiator. Forced air is so criticial that you will find that going into the wind even though the engine is working harder the temperature will be noticeably lower. You can put a boron tube type gauge from the fitting in the pump with the gauge mounted below the dash. An adaptor to the threads in the pump which are NOT pipe threads can be found at Napa. The bulb can also be put in the upper radiator hose with a similar fitting that is used for heater hoses. Don't forget the outside temperature when driving or doing the tests make a differance in water temperature. I almost forgot, I put a round mechanicial in several 33s and 34s. This is the gauge with a 1/4"smooth round stem about 3"s long that go's into the water. I made an adaptor that go's into the water pump fitting with a fitting in it with a 1/4" brass ferrule. The stem slides through the ferrule into the pump and measures the temperarure in the pump. You can see the gauge through the louves without opening the hood. Go to Grainger or www.mcmastercar.com for gauges. G.M.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:59 AM   #4
ole_Bill

Not clear from your question whether you want to put temp gauges under the hood or inside the car. I have both on my '36 sedan. If under the hood, Moon makes a very nice flat gauge that screws directly into the head, comes in two sizes, and requires no wires or tubes. Got mine from Honest Charley.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:29 AM   #5
CC33

Yes the 215 degree temp was taken while idling in the garage. I will try the external fan test method and re-check temp.
Thanks for the info on the gauges. Post a pic of what gauges you used, both in dash and under hood.

Thanks
Old 08-21-2011, 08:28 AM   #6
G.M.

CC33 this is the only picture I have in the computer. Be careful running the engine in the garage for long periods. G.M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg COOLING 1.jpg (49.0 KB, 26 views)