Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-09-2011, 02:43 AM   #1
Jalopy Tin

Default It's running!!

When my roadster arrived last summer it did not turn over but with a lot help from You, it's now running. I like both Model A's and T's so i use studs instead of bolts and a outer case from a Packard coil where i put the 6v in to.
The humming photographer is a friend, driving the red Cadillac in the background. Thanks to all, especially Tmodelman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MCp-O51ypw

/Tom
Jalopy Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:08 AM   #2
Doug Money

Default Re: It's running!!

That's an awful lot of charge at idle with no lights on. The max output for a Model T generator is 100 watts. Divided by 7 volts, the charging rate, and you get 14 amps max. You are near 10 at idle. It is hard on the generator and battery at that rate. You can adjust the third brush to get the charge rate back down to 3-5, unless you drive at night a lot.
Doug Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
Jalopy Tin

Thanks Doug Money, thats the kind of input i like with this forum, one can learn a lot from guys with more experience.
In my case i have used a 6 volt Delco CS 121 generator modified to fit the T engine. I also have a Delco Remy 1108430 starter also modified. (from Larry Becker in U.S.) The intake is a -26-27 manifold upside down with a homemade inlet to fit the Tillotson X carb.
What do You think about the idle? It's not steady, it wanders a bit up and down. Is that normal for a T with a modern distributor and Z head?
/Tom
Old 07-09-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
Doug Money

Ah, you have an alternator not a generator. Watch the amps that it puts out because the wiring also only rated at 100 watts. I don't know about the idle because of the hop up parts you have on it. I would look at the carb levers for looseness. That seems common. The head and distributor shouldn't cause either. Do you have it running lean at idle? Something to look at, sometimes if you adjust the idle mixture they will settle down.
Doug Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #5
Jalopy Tin

You are right about the idling adjustment, i forgot the fifth moment in the instruction Now it's done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TillyInstructions.jpg (74.9 KB, 16 views)