Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-25-2014, 06:36 AM   #1
Henry Hopper

Default Dentist required?

Yesterday I accidentally broke a tooth in my 40 standard grill.....it appears to be die cast and I would like to know if there is a compound of some description that can stick it back in permanently.I looked at replacement grill assemblies and think a repair is a better first option before forking out all that cash for a replacement.

TIA.
Henry Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:43 AM   #2
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck
Default Re: Dentist required?

I would try Super glue with a little stick behind it for reinforcement glued for strength.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:50 AM   #3
Aerocraft

It has been my experience that model airplane "CA" glue is a good step above generic "Super glue". It's pricey but I always keep a small bottle of the stuff on the workbench.

Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:22 AM   #4
funrunr

I don't think I would rely on super glue for such an important piece. If it fails the piece is gonna be lost and you won't know it until you get out of the car. I would consider JB Weld or a form of clear epoxy. Let us know what you use and what worked.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:01 AM   #5
itsa52

TLC and muggy weld???
itsa52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:05 AM   #6
19Fordy

Gorilla glue?
Or you might be able to "pin it" from the rear using a thin strip of metal and JB weld.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:19 AM   #7
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone, itsa52's post made me look up Muggy Weld. I'd never heard of it.

There may be possibilities here.

http://muggyweld.com/pot-metal-repair

Lower down on the page there are a bunch of videos, and then some written/photo stuff. I looked at the repair of a hood ornament/radiator cap (http://muggyweld.com/pot-metal-truck-ornament-repair), and then looked at the repair of a carburetor (http://muggyweld.com/pot-metal-carburetor-repair). Then I saw 'starter kits' going for $60, that's what the carb guy used.

Like funrunr, I'm thinking something more epoxy/JBWeld-ish, than superglue-ish if you discount the Muggy products. I'd consider some reinforcement behind or the joint will fail again more quickly.

-VT/JeffH

Last edited by VeryTangled; 05-25-2014 at 10:28 AM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:26 AM   #8
Sixseven

An epoxy like JB weld will work but you should routinely inspect for cracks or other failures to reduce the likelihood that you will lose the piece. In addition to the epoxy, use a pice of aluminum screen on the back of the grill. Think of the epoxy as you would fiberglass (epoxy) and the aluminum screen as you would the fiberglass cloth. You can cut, form and strengthen an epoxy join substantially using this method. How you hide your work is your skill.
Sixseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:42 AM   #9
19Fordy

Here's a follow up on the "pin it" idea. You may need more pins. Use 1/16 or 3/32 inch welding rod or finishing nails cut to fit.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:56 AM   #10
bobH

For this application (40 grille), I'd sure like to see a few words regarding 'fusion', welding, etc. I've had a small amount of experience with pot metal, and I'm wondering if a grille tooth could be 'welded'.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:57 AM   #11
Henry Hopper

Thanks for the ideas .....Ive heard of JB weld but don't know if it's available in England, ..Il check....the pin/rod idea seems like a good idea, sort of a "belt and braces "( suspenders to you ) kind of deal.
I'll let you know what I ended up with......it's a real shame it broke, it's been sat there since 1940 and I'll do my best to save it.

Much appreciated fellas.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:53 PM   #12
37coop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hopper View Post
Thanks for the ideas .....Ive heard of JB weld but don't know if it's available in England, ..Il check....the pin/rod idea seems like a good idea, sort of a "belt and braces "( suspenders to you ) kind of deal.
I'll let you know what I ended up with......it's a real shame it broke, it's been sat there since 1940 and I'll do my best to save it.

Much appreciated fellas.
yup,its available over here ,if you cant find any p.m me and I,ll send you a tube ,its easy to work with and I,v restored a very bad 39 banjo wheel with it ,cheers jim.
37coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:33 PM   #13
Henry Hopper

Hey ,thanks Jim, that's mighty nice of you.....I'll see where to get it but if I can't get it I'll give you a call.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:04 AM   #14
37coop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hopper View Post
Hey ,thanks Jim, that's mighty nice of you.....I'll see where to get it but if I can't get it I'll give you a call.
O.k Henry ,no problem .A very important tool in my workshop is ""Tiger seal ", its used in the car trade and its uses are many ,its comes in a large tube ,decorators silicon size and costs about a tenner on line ,its a rubber compound that goes rock hard but isn't brittle and wont crack or split and sticks like poo to a blanket ,it will stick anything to anything and that is certainly what I would use and you will have loads left over ,the choices are many but tiger seal for me , the model car you have is great ,I,v a 39 deluxe coupe and had a 40 convertible for 30 years and I just love the shape , good luck ,regards jim.
37coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:43 AM   #15
scooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37coop View Post
yup,its available over here ,if you cant find any p.m me and I,ll send you a tube ,its easy to work with and I,v restored a very bad 39 banjo wheel with it ,cheers jim.
Jim, send him both tubes, one tube is just not fair.
Martin
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:20 AM   #16
Mart

I bought some off ebay here in the UK not long ago.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:38 AM   #17
itsa52

Pot metal can be welded but it needs proper equipment and an experienced and qualified welder Would need to be re-plated after. I don't think muggy weld gets hot enough to take the chrome off.. But be sure and play with some non critical stuff before you go for the grille
itsa52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:14 AM   #18
Henry Hopper

Did a quick search for UK stockists and found it at the MoterCare shop about half a mile from here..result.As soon as I mixed it and smelt it I realised I had come across this stuff before, albeit under another name..we used to carry it for repairing refrigerator evaporators when over zealous customers had "helped" the defrosting with a knife .ha ha.

I stuck it in place and built up a bit of a shoulder behind the fractures.....I'll see how it goes.I could not get into the rear of the grill without a lot of unbolting, so I didn't get any pins affixed to the rear.

I left it to cure as I spent a gruelling day in the sun trying to remove bushes and perch pins from my front axle assembly....boy are they stuck fast.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:27 PM   #19
VeryTangled

Howdy again Henry Hopper, good news, if possible please add photos. Maybe you can get the camera behind where you can't get your head.

Perch pins, ha ha, good luck! Twice was enough for that job. At some points I had a hacksaw inside the perch trying to get the old shackle pin liner out.

-VT/JeffH
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:46 PM   #20
Mart

God I hate perch pins.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote