Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #21
Henry Hopper

Default Re: Dropping a 40 coupe

Robert, your 39 is a great looking car, the stance is spot on ......love the colour and the chrome rims.
Henry Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #22
okiedokie

My eye loves lowered 40's [and about everything else] a stock height 40 with skinny little bias ply tires does nothing for me anymore. Make it suit your eyes.
okiedokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #23
don35

When I got my car the front main spring leaf (and axel) were really badly bent. I just had a new main leaf made and replaced the damaged one. There is likely a company on your side of the pond that could do the same for you. For $35 they would have made the new leaf in any con figuration I wanted. I had them reverse the eyes. It dropped the front about 2 inches.
don35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #24
Robert Dip

Just had some more thoughts on dropping the ’40. I found a mint ’40 complete rolling chassis, blasted every part and began re-assembling it. I obtained another ‘old’ dropped original axle, including modified spindles ( bought from the same guy ) to work on similar to the ’39. By using the original axle, you do not split the wishbones ( unlike using an aftermarket axle & C.E. parts ). The drop axle without stretching tucks in the wheels for additional fender clearance. On the chrome rims, I ordered from Wheel Smith new repo 15 x 5” rims, but that did not work out. The repop rim centers are 1” deeper and make the wheel closer to the fenders by the same amount…that was a no-no for me….not enough clearance. I obtained original ford 15”centers, nice fellow from the Barn sold me the centers from scuffed rims, took out the rivets and shipped the centers out to the Wheel Smith for me, where they chromed them and mounted on new outers. Now, I had the same backspace as an original 15 x 5” rim. It is now perfect. To drop an original Ford axle, Anson in California is the guy who does absolutely perfect work. All of these guys are a distance away from you, but, just letting you know what I did with great results. I too, use original Ford parts for my cars….as aftermarket stuff deters away from originality and fit. Let me know if you need help with your project. Robert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3162.jpg (38.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3230.jpg (61.5 KB, 44 views)
Robert Dip is offline   Reply With Quote