Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
Henry Hopper

Default Stumbled across this...

I recently bought a 40 Standard Coupe...it drives nice but had a slight stumble when I gave it some throttle pedal...no big deal but a bit annoying.I did a search on line and came up with a possible cause...the setting on the 97 should be in the S(summer) position not the W(winter) position....I went and checked and right enough it was on the W...I switched it over to S.

Tonight just as the light was fading and the heat of the day was cooling off, and the aiir was nice and clear,I suggested to my wife that we should go and put some miles on the car...we went out into the country roads and sure enough the stumble was gone...the car drives really well and is a pleasure to drive....it was a great drive out with some lightening putting on a spectacular display way off in the distance....sometimes it's moments like this that make you appreciate driving an old V8 Ford.....on the way back I gave it a bit and it really moves for a 73 year old car.
Henry Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
ken ct
BANNED

Default Re: Stumbled across this...

FYI a 97 is not correct for a 40 Ford. // 40 Ford should have a 91-99 Chandler Groves manufactured carb not Ford or Holley. It will run ok with the Stromberg but its not a correct carb. ken ct. Henry,had a senior moment yesterday ,correct carb for 40 is a Ford or Ford-Holley 91-99 NOT Chandler-Groves like i suggested yesterday.Sorry about that. ken ct.

Last edited by ken ct; 08-02-2013 at 11:30 PM. Reason: wrong info!!
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
Scott H in Wheaton

Henry, glad you had a wonderful cruise with your wife and your 40 Ford.
Maybe it wasn't the 'correct' carb, but it sure sounds like a fun time!
I'd rather see them on the road than stuck in a garage waiting for the 'right' part.
Someone else posted they are going to miss a show this weekend because a fan blade hit a radiator hose. I told them to patch it up and hit the show, then after the show you can worry about making it correct.
Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
Newc

Hi all; Have you noticed that the crank fan cars [39/40] have a different carb float vent? The vent is above the float bowl on the front. Put that vented carb top on a 'top fan' eng. and you will have problems. Many rebuilders mixed parts up when assembling their carbs. Newc in Oregon
Newc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
Mart

Ken, not wishing to doubt your knowledge on Ford carbs, but are you saying the car would run better with a Holley type or just that the carb is incorrect for a 40 with regards to concourse judging? How do you know what Motor is in Henry's car? The car isn't a restoration.

Glad you had a nice ride out with the Missus, Nigel, Is that the car from Jim in Rugby?

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote