Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-23-2022, 06:43 PM   #1
65f100

Default valve guide

the casting around the exhaust valve guide is broken on all 4 of the exhaust guides from the look of it it has been like this for a long time I couldnt see this until the guide was removed from the block - is this common? - should the block be scraped? this is the worst one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220223_162812.jpg (57.1 KB, 111 views)
65f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 08:23 PM   #2
Russ/40

Default Re: valve guide

Thats very odd. I cant begin to imagine what kind of hard use could create that. That aside, if the rest of the block is reasonable to use, you could have that area sleeved. Bore and sleeve the areas either to valve stem size, or to valve guide size depending on the valves you choose to use. Use a good sleeve sealer, like Fluid Weld.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 08:31 PM   #3
nkaminar

I don't know if it is common or not but think it could be cleaned up with a ball grinder. The valve guide will support the valve. The block looks like it should be cleaned up too. It is was me I would take the block to a machine shop. Make sure the valve guide fits snug in the block. If not you may be able to use an oversize guide, even if you have to machine special guides. Have the machine shop check to see that the hole for the valve guide is concentric to the valve seat. It looks like this area has gotten hot at one time.

The sleeves that Russ talked about is a good idea. The machine shop will be able to tell you what it will take.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 09:02 PM   #4
Synchro909

IMO, oversized guides are a good idea but is the cost worth it? From what I hear, a decent rebuildable block is not hard to come by over there nor expensive. If you want to use this particular block for matching numbers, the equation changes.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 09:15 PM   #5
David R.

Of the three model A blocks I’ve disassembled all had at least one with a chunk gone here. Most likely, I would suggest, by someone knocking valve guide out without proper tool. Picture is not too clear but I can’t see how it would really effect operation unless guides fits too loose in block.
David R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 10:56 AM   #6
65f100

thanks for replies - I do have to use this block if possable because of the bonded title...
Im bring the block to a machine shop next week for possible overhaul and I wanted to go with the 1 piece valve guide - thanks David R thats good to know mines not the only one
Old 02-25-2022, 11:51 AM   #7
Gufshoz

Since you're already planning on taking it to a machine shop, I would recommend having hardened valve seats installed. It's not too difficult to then to install modern guides and adjustable valves.
Gufshoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 06:12 PM   #8
65f100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gufshoz View Post
Since you're already planning on taking it to a machine shop, I would recommend having hardened valve seats installed. It's not too difficult to then to install modern guides and adjustable valves.
yes that is on my list to upgrade - if im spending $$$$ might as well
Old 02-26-2022, 07:21 PM   #9
Dodge

Just by looking at the pictures I don't see any problem with just knocking out the guides
and smoothing the guide boss. You can then check the guide bores for size. The one piece
guides most of the parts houses are selling are .595 in diameter. If your guide bores
are over size you can buy oversize valve guides in .001 to .003 oversize or knurl the outside of a std. valve guide.

Your machine shop should be able to help. The guide to use is a Rover V-8 guide if they need to source the guides.

Dodge
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote