Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-01-2023, 04:39 PM   #1
Krylon32

Default 40 Coupe Wind Noise

I've had this car for a few years and really enjoy driving it. I seem to have a lot of wind noise at highway speeds. (60-80 mph) My cloth wind lace fits tight around the door frame. Did 40's have another form of weather stripping? My experience on some of my deuces is that the addition of any style of weather stripping makes the doors close hard. Any suggestions?
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 06:15 PM   #2
42merc

Default Re: 40 Coupe Wind Noise

I experience the same noise with my '40 coupe.
Doors fit well plus the added Bob Drake rubber seal that surrounds 3 sides of the door & cloth covered wind lace.
Several years ago I had a conversation with a '40 owner (now passed) who had the door seams taped over with masking tape, after he was in the car. Drove the car at speed, said it made very little difference.
Any answers ?
Not looking for "Drive Slower" as an answer.
42merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 06:20 PM   #3
19Fordy

Try opening the vent windows a little bit.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 07:32 PM   #4
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
I've had this car for a few years and really enjoy driving it. I seem to have a lot of wind noise at highway speeds. (60-80 mph) My cloth wind lace fits tight around the door frame. Did 40's have another form of weather stripping? My experience on some of my deuces is that the addition of any style of weather stripping makes the doors close hard. Any suggestions?
You travel at 80MPH in a '40 Ford? My gosh man, I believe there are other things more important to worry about than road noise. Like steering and stopping when the jerk in the BMW pulls right in front of you so he can exit in 30'.
There was (authentically) a foam rubber strip that was applied to the door just adjacent to the A pillar. There was also a similar strip that went from the B pillar (on the body - above the door) forward to approximately adjacent to the top hinge.
I'm certain Carpenter sells each.
Old 05-01-2023, 08:22 PM   #5
cjshaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Try opening the vent windows a little bit.

This can definitely help the situation if there's an actual air leak. It doesn't take much of a leak to make a big sound, especially when the interior of the car is an almost perfect acoustic resonance design. Think of the rounded designs of old symphony centers, which concentrate the sound towards the center. Now look at the rounded interior of these old Coupes, which concentrates the sound right where the seats are.

Just my opinion, but I think much of the sound comes from the body itself. Air moving across the body panels creates small vibrations, which are amplified by the rounded interior, which has very little bracing by any "newer" standards...even the '50s, when comfort really started to take hold.

Was the sound deadening removed when it was restored? Was anything used to replace it? Ford used heavy sound deadener in key areas for a reason. Now, it's a science, but these cars needed it everywhere. If it's not done, you get the acoustic resonance. The body is basically acting like an amplifier and speaker. Taking away that vibration with deadening material greatly reduces the transference of the sound wave.
cjshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 08:22 PM   #6
Ken/Alabama

Nature of the beast !!
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 09:11 PM   #7
Newc

I keep telling my customers, "this ain't a Honda" New buyer of a stock '32PU took off like he was driving a muscle car, down my driveway and gone. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 09:34 PM   #8
cjshaker

Exactly. Only so much you can do without destroying the integrity of what these cars are.
Old 05-02-2023, 09:06 AM   #9
19Fordy

Here's an earlier post that may help re: door seals and wind noise.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...940+door+seals
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 11:18 AM   #10
Krylon32

Thanks for your responses I forgot I asked this same question back in 2020. Kube, not to deceive you, this is not a stock 40 Ford. It has the appearance of a restored car but with updates. Runs 80 mph on the 4 lane all day long, stops great and steers great.

Last edited by Krylon32; 05-03-2023 at 01:37 PM.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 05:29 PM   #11
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
Thanks for your responses I forgot I asked this same question back in 2020. Kube, not to deceive you, this is not a stock 40 Ford. It has the appearance of a restored car but with updates. Runs 80 mph on the 4 lane all day long, stops and steers great.
Thanks! Crap, I get mine over 55 or so and I start worrying about the other guy big time.
Old 05-03-2023, 11:10 AM   #12
hotrodA

Mine is noisy also.
Window to vent glass seal, when up, is slightly tilted and has a small gap at the top, even though it is new. Ol Scrounger on the HAMB put me on to this. The fix is to loosen and adjust (tilt) the mechanism at the door mount holes.
Since I blew up the engine it’s been put on the back burner as the least of my worries.
hotrodA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 01:48 PM   #13
cjshaker

A trick I use, learned from an old friend, is to place a dollar bill anywhere and everywhere around the window and door seals. When everything is shut, you should not be able to pull the dollar out. If you can, the seal is not air tight. The problem still remains that there is only so much you can do or adjust without negatively affecting another area. If lots of time is taken during the build, you can often work these issues out. Once the car is done, you are severely limited in what you can do. Not many people will completely 'build' the car, address all the issues, then dismantle it for paint and reassembly. Very tedious and time consuming, but it is rewarding in the end.