Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-21-2022, 03:41 PM   #1
Seth Swoboda

Default Cartouche gone, where to get upholstery

I do business with Third Gen and Southside Obsolete, primarily. However, the last remaining early Ford upholstery company, Cartouche is now allegedly gone for good. Any insights on upholstery sources for our V8s?

Last edited by Seth Swoboda; 11-21-2022 at 04:19 PM.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 04:10 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: Ecklers Macs sold

See this thread > https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...hlight=Ecklers

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 04:14 PM   #3
oldskool

i have no info on a buy out but i stopped buying from them years ago due too outrageous shipping chargers
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 04:18 PM   #4
Seth Swoboda

[QUOTE=petehoovie;2183063]See this thread > https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...hlight=Ecklers[/QUOTE

My question is where to get upholstery now that Cartouche is gone? Ideas?
Old 11-21-2022, 06:10 PM   #5
petehoovie

Default Re: Cartouche gone, where to get upholstery

Have you tried to contact them (Mac's)? Their website is still up > https://www.macsautoparts.com/brand/cartouche.html

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 11-21-2022, 07:33 PM   #6
Willit Stop

My brother is about to order a headliner for his 1930 C**** from these guys.I don't know anything about them, good or bad. Might be worth looking into though. Nice knowledgeable people on the phone. Please let all of us know what you find out. Good luck.
https://newstalgiaparts.com/
Willit Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 07:37 PM   #7
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willit Stop View Post
My brother is about to order a headliner for his 1930 C**** from these guys.I don't know anything about them, good or bad. Might be worth looking into though. Nice knowledgeable people on the phone. Please let all of us know what you find out. Good luck.
Welcome to Newstalgia Parts

Newstalgiaparts.com is a site dedicated to the restoration of cars (both classic and modern). We make a broad range of headliners, convertible tops, carpets, vinyl tops, upholstery and door panels.
The majority of our parts are made to order. That allows the customer to have the part made like it was originally or the part can be customized. Because the parts are made to order, please make sure you give yourself enough lead time. Please call for current lead times if you are under a time constraint.
If you have any questions, please call 800-681-0710 or send us an email at [email protected]
We have alot of headliners that we can make that haven't made it to our catalog yet so please ask. If you need a part (particularly a headliner) send us an email or call us.

Old 11-21-2022, 11:39 PM   #8
51504bat

Joe's Antique Auto is an authorized Cartouche dealer:
https://www.joesantiqueauto.com/
Old 11-22-2022, 12:42 AM   #9
35fordtn

Guys, I am a cartouche dealer and they are gone whether temporary (doesn’t seem so) or for good. They are only finishing a few existing orders. I sell a few of their kits a year and have two in the world one will get done and the other is a no go. Macs / ecklers buy out by a company that has no business interfering with early v8 parts has caused this.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 07:53 AM   #10
Model51

This news it hard to take. I hope someone comes to the rescue and picks up the pieces of what remains of Cartouche such as drawings, skilled craftspeople, intellectual property, etc., and starts up a smaller business to provide this service to the EFV8 world. Earlier this year I worked with the folks at the Cartouche "division" at MACs and they were amazingly helpful and I ended up with an interior kit for my 1935 truck that I'm very happy with.

What will anyone who in the past complained of high prices for the kits or cost for shipping now be willing to pay if the kits may no longer be produced?
Model51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 08:32 AM   #11
tmiller6

Does this shutdown apply to all of Cartouche? Is the early Ford (09-31) upholstery affected?
tmiller6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 08:33 AM   #12
42merc

Save
42merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 08:48 AM   #13
1942deluxe

I'm waiting for the upholstery for my 1942 Ford coupe from my local upholstery guy. Was supposed to be available back in August. Not sure of the company he is dealing with but
he said he's having problems with availability on a frequent basis.
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 08:51 AM   #14
flatford8

I bought a Cartouche kit for my ‘51 Tudor last summer. The person I dealt with was helpful and the kit showed up on time and complete. I don’t own restored vehicles so if it’s not correct, it’s not an issue for me. I tried to buy it from Joe’s but it was out of his time-frame for parts. I didn’t know Michael was a Cartouche dealer or I would’ve attempted to buy from him......Mark

Maybe it’s time to invest in those fake Mexican blankets.....they might be the only thing left.....LOL...
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 10:42 AM   #15
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiller6 View Post
Does this shutdown apply to all of Cartouche? Is the early Ford (09-31) upholstery affected?
Yes.
Old 11-22-2022, 12:14 PM   #16
rotorwrench

Cartouche used to be an independent brand if I remember correctly. The business was sold off to Mac's before Eckler's purchased Mac's. I figure it was a mom an pop trim shop where the owners decided to retire.

Hopefully someone or some company will take up the patterns from LB and/or Cartouche that belonged to Eckler's and start using them to fabricate kits. Any trimmer could fabricate an interior or top but where there is no pattern, it takes a lot longer to make one up so the price is high. The trimmer would need the car in his shop to start from scratch like that. Original materials would be the major stumbling block. A person may be able get model A materials from Classtique or perhaps wait in line for SMS to supply what they might have. The prospects are cloudy at best.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 12:41 PM   #17
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Cartouche used to be an independent brand if I remember correctly. The business was sold off to Mac's before Eckler's purchased Mac's. I figure it was a mom an pop trim shop where the owners decided to retire.

Hopefully someone or some company will take up the patterns from LB and/or Cartouche that belonged to Eckler's and start using them to fabricate kits. Any trimmer could fabricate an interior or top but where there is no pattern, it takes a lot longer to make one up so the price is high. The trimmer would need the car in his shop to start from scratch like that. Original materials would be the major stumbling block. A person may be able get model A materials from Classtique or perhaps wait in line for SMS to supply what they might have. The prospects are cloudy at best.
Yes, it's a darn mess....
Old 11-22-2022, 04:03 PM   #18
TJ

Another one bites the dust. Sad to hear as i thought Cartouche might stay in business even though Eckler's was sold. Hopefully somebody will step up and at least buy up the patterns for the panels and maybe sell them to the restorers so we can give the patterns to the upholstery shop of our choice.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 04:43 PM   #19
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiller6 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
Yes.
Seth is correct on your first question. To answer your second question, the basic answer is No. The supplier of fabrics is now Mike at Classtique, so the earlier cars are covered better than ever on kit availability.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 10:25 AM   #20
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Seth is correct on your first question. To answer your second question, the basic answer is No. The supplier of fabrics is now Mike at Classtique, so the earlier cars are covered better than ever on kit availability.
Brent,

I forgot about Classtique. Michael Driskell reminded me of them for Model A. The void is in the Early V8 upholstery.

I can source correct fabrics. What I will need is another car to use for patterns. I'll have to take a lot of pictures and measurements. Then I will need to find a very good upholstery person to make the interior components. Not impossible, however a lot of time and work required, IF you can find a person with a car that has the correct interior to borrow. A kit would be faster and less expensive(maybe).

I sent you a reply to you PM.