Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Ebay Bidding...What the heck here...

I am currently bidding on something and it says that the Current Bid is $202.50. Yet I bidded $225.00 last night and the Current Bid is still $202.50. Now how can that be? Why isn't and why didn't my bid of $225.00 show up as the Current Bid?

ALSO on that same note...under the Current Bid is the following...Enter more than US $276.00...now what the heck is going on here?

Is the bid $202.50 or $225.00 or $$276.00?

Why when someone bids on something...that the Current Bid is replaced by that amount?

OK...it is a Lionel 0-027 Gauge The Great Northern 4-8-4 Steam Locomotive Tender 6-3100.

No Ebay number that I can see.

Thanks.

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 03-24-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #2
socalplanedoc

Default Re: Ebay Bidding...What the heck here...

eBay had some major issues the past few days.. all my wife's auctions were deleted (she makes soap) and 2 days later some re-appeared. Maybe it's somehow related...

$25 bux for UPS ground?!?!? I hate it when sellers squeeze more money from buyers by pumping up shipping costs.. you could ship that anywhere in the country for 15 bux US Postal and get it it two days...

Last edited by socalplanedoc; 03-24-2013 at 11:30 AM.
socalplanedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
P.S.

The bid you place is your maximum bid. If you bid $1M, and the people bidding against you only bid up to $300, then you would win at $301. Your maximum bid is just that- and whoever bids against you raises your bid up to, but will not exceed your maximum bid.

If it tells you that to bid again, you need to bid $500 (or whatever), it just means increasing your maximum bid, not that the bidding has gone that high.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
foxfire42

Pluck, The eBay number is very very small. Guess it must be still part of their software but they don't seem to want people to find it very easily. It's at the far right in the of the Description and Shipping tabs just below Print and Report Item.
foxfire42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
Joe K

This one of the aspects I DON'T like about Ebay. You bid, but what you pay is controlled by the rest of the marketplace: you're letting someone else determine what you pay.

Well agreed. Not exactly true. It's always possible to bid "incrementally" and just stay one step ahead of the other button pushers by some small margin. Known by those who do as "bid sniping" at the end. I've heard there are programs you can buy to snipe for you - but no guarantee you'll be the winner and no damages if you lose.

Don't like sniping. A lot of work for small return in savings. Almost everything I want Model A I can find cheaper at Amherst, NH - and in the process be "one with the crowd." Some sellers are real nice fellows and I would do business again with in a heartbeat. Others I find "sharp" and I guess I can't blame them for that. Others I don't care for and won't even talk to.

Besides a small camaraderie that exists. I even got to talk with Charlie Bass about Model A No. 189 when he owned it. Very engaging fellow - I wish I had been in his Congressional District.

Anyway, not to run down Ebay too far. I do a "buy it now" occasionally there. But not so much Model A.

Joe K
Old 03-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
Jim Mason

My guess is you bid a max of 202.50 and was the high bidder but at your max (202.50). You then upped your max (actuall you bid against yourself) to 225. Ebay recognized you as the current high bidder, so didn't up the current bid but did up your max.

Ebay does the sniping for you. opening bid 1. you set your maximum snipe bid (through ebay) at 500. every time some on bids ebay will incrementally up you bid until you max is reached. If some one bids 2, ebay bids 2.5 for you. if the next person bids 30. ebay bids 31 for you. if some one bids 495. ebay bids 500 for you. doesn't matter if you bid 5 days ahead or use a snipe program to bid in the last 2 seconds. ebay will increment the bid until your max is reached (or exceeded)
Old 03-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
hardtimes

Hey Pluck,
How many times you used ebay ?
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #8
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey Pluck,
How many times you used ebay ?
Not many...But I do not want to get screwed here...If I bid $225.00 (or more)...then why dosent the Current Bid reflect that number? This sucks.

Pluck
Old 03-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
Not many...But I do not want to get screwed here...If I bid $225.00 (or more)...then why dosent the Current Bid reflect that number? This sucks.

Pluck
Hey Pluck,
These guys have explained 'it' pretty well...i.e.- automatic bids. Simply put (by someone who thinks in 'simple' terms,eh..me )....just enter a LOT of money as your MAXIMUM bid (depending on how bad you want an item) and hope that your staying power (read $s) outlasts the others wants. Good luck and hope you win !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #10
Bob C

"Not many...But I do not want to get screwed here...If I bid $225.00 (or more)...then why dosent the Current Bid reflect that number? This sucks."

Not really, if no one else bids you get it for $202.50 not $225.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:08 PM   #11
Fordors

You decided the item is worth no more than $225 and placed your bid. As others have said your present "cost to you" would be $202.50. Should I decide to bid more than the next bid as shown on the listing, say $220, my bid will show but then be immediately superceded by your bid of $225 yet your new bid will only show as $222.50. Ebay does not work as a traditional auction, you only pay to the next bid increment.
Naturally, if your $225 is surpassed provided there is time before the auction ends you can up your maximum. I never do that, the max I decided is what I'd pay. If I get outbid so be it. With that type of reasoning there is no sniping; if somebody wants to pay more they either felt it was worth more than I'd pay or they just had deeper pockets. Many times patience is a virtue-another GN loco and tender will come along.
Fordors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #12
Steve Plucker
BANNED

OK guys...I think I get it.

Got to hope for the best but unfortunatly I won't be on the web come time when it ends.

Oh well...there will be another if it doesn not work out.

Thanks for everyone's help and explanations on this deal...takes some time for this to sink in.

Pluck
Old 03-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #13
Bob C

Here's one with a buy it now of $195 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lionel-The-G...item3f234657b8

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #14
trulyvintage

Lightbulb Re: Ebay Bidding...What the heck here...

I am going to the movies ....

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #15
Buz

I got outbid at the last second on a pickup I really wanted to buy and was the high bidder on for several days. Ever since then I have used this site to do my eBay bidding.

http://www.esnipe.com/

It works great !

As far as the shipping, many times it is inflated to take care of the eBay/PayPal fees which usually ding the seller for 20% of the total sale.
Buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #16
Jim Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buz View Post
I got outbid at the last second on a pickup I really wanted
I alot of peple that think way. If you placed your max bid, and got out bid...what difference does it make if you place the max bid 3days before the end of auction or. 3 seconds? Max is max and either way you win or lose. Also the 'shill' bidding doesnt increase your max so how does that come into your paying more? More than you might have paid...but still not above your max
Old 03-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #17
dr.j

I look at the item and determine the max I will pay and enter that amount. I've never paid the max of my bid. Once won, I contact the seller, provide a US address and request basic parcel post to my cousin minutes from the border. Paypal, personal cheque or email the $. No customs fees or expensive shipping; I pay the HST tax and homeward bound.
1928 Tudor
dr.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #18
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mason View Post
I alot of peple that think way. If you placed your max bid, and got out bid...what difference does it make if you place the max bid 3days before the end of auction or. 3 seconds? Max is max and either way you win or lose. Also the 'shill' bidding doesnt increase your max so how does that come into your paying more? More than you might have paid...but still not above your max
The difference is if you put your max bid in before the auction end and others that want the item see that they are not high bidder, will keep adding bids to outbid your max, thus increasing the price. When using a bid service it waits to the very end so by being silent throughout the auction process keeps the bidding to a minimum and price lower.
I also use esnipe put in my max and forget about it, don't need to be around when it ends.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #19
ctlikon0712

PLuck, I hope you understand what the guys are telling you, the current bid reflects the amount plus one dollar that you over bid the last high bidder. It doesn't post what your max bid is. If someone bids against you then it tells them in a small box window how much they have to enter to outbid your max. It’s kinda confusing.....
OK guy's, on this subject I would like to know more about esnipe. I’ve looked at the website but before I join was wondering if you like it, how much they charge etc....?
Old 03-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #20
Mitch//pa
BANNED

you can buy 1500 bid points for 15.00....i just bought a snap on impact socket for $15.02 and i used 25 bid points. if you do not win an auction through e snipe then your bid points are not used. thats it no other fees or charges
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote