Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-16-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
Lembomw

Default Weber Carb Set-Up

Hi, I am rebuilding my 30’ Tudor and had a touring engine built for it. It has a Weber downdraft carb. I am going to install an in-line filter, fuel pump and a low pressure regulator. I understand that some just run the gas from the fuel bowl to the Weber and depend on gravity but I do not want to take any chances. Does anyone have a similar set-up and can send me pictures of how the fuel line, filter, pump and regulator were run from the firewall to the carb. I assume that the glass fuel bowl can be eliminated (one less thing to leak).

As always, thank you very much for your assistance;

Mark
Lembomw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
Art Bjornestad

Default Re: Weber Carb Set-Up

I can't help you with pictures but can tell you that I use a 6 volt electric fuel shut off valve and a 12 volt fuel pump running on 6 volts. All of this is after the fuel filter.
Art Bjornestad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #3
kenparker

Got a touring engine with a setup like you want to do. Cant take pictures in the daark but will take some tomorrow in the funshine. ken
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
usered

I have a setup similar to what you are wanting, but the pictures won't show much. I ran the line from the firewall down to the frame (shut off vale on the firewall. Inside the frame I put the inline filter, fuel pump and a dial type regulator. The line then goes over to the front of the valve cover using one of the valve cover bolts to hold it and then up to a pressure gauge, then to the Weber carb. Line and fuel pump are bolted to the frame, rubber gas line hose goes from the frame to the engine for flex.

Ed
usered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
Lembomw

Art, Ken and "usered", thank you for your responses.

Ken, any pictures you can send will be appreciated.

Art, I converted the car to 12V and have the Carter in line filter and fuel pump. Also have the Holly low pressure regulator.

Usered, I like the idea of having the fuel shut off on the firewall. That makes things convenient. Did you eliminate the glass fuel bowl?

Do any of you still have the glass fuel bowl or did you eliminate that.

Another question I just thought of. On the pressure regulator should I have some sort of gauge on one of the “out” locations on the pressure regulator so that I know what the pressure is? What pressure do you adjust it to, and how do you know without a gauge if you are at the correct pressure??

Boy, one question just leads to another. I am not an engine person (basic stuff is OK but never dealt with a pressure regulator); I am more of a body and paint guy. The car is coming along great, looks beautiful…..at least to me. I wish I could figure out how to attach a picture but I tried a couple of days ago when I asked a question about installing the felt window channels and it did not work. If I can ever figure it out I will post some pictures.

Thanks again for your responses and any instruction on adjusting the regulator to the correct pressure that you can provide.

Mark
Old 12-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #6
usered

Yes I eliminated the glass bowl, really no need for it with the fuel filter.

Weber recomends no more than 2 1/2 lbs. of fuel pressure and that seems to work just fine.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #7
V4F

i have the weber set=up , straight out of the tank , inline filter , mister gasket 2- 3# pump , no reg that way . works great . if you should have a rich problem , take the filter off & see if it goes away . the little pill box filter sits right on top of the carb . also run a "reds header" .......... steve
Old 12-17-2012, 10:06 AM   #8
Lembomw

Guess I will eliminate the glass fuel bowl. Will have to figure out how to fill the hole so it looks good with just the gas line coming through.

Usered, how do you know when you are at 2 1/2 pounds pressure??

Steve, thanks for input. Since I already have the carter pump/filter and the Holly regulator I will set it up with this an see how it goes. The engine has a Snyder 6.1 head and their cast iron header already installed, along with the FSI electronic ignition and lots of other stuff in the engine, and an F150 4 speed transmission. Should run well, just want to do everything correctly. Actually the engine builder put the engine on his test stand and ran it. Wow, did it sound great.

Thanks, Mark
Old 12-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #9
John LaVoy

Arizona Model A sells a fuel line, pump and filter kit for the weber. All the lines prebent and the connections correct. 480-782-0266 www.arizonamodela.com they are usually closed on Mondays. I have the kits on a couple of cars they really make installation easy.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
kenparker

Two photos. One shows the Glass Bowl with the Electric Shut Off. I am too lazy to 'member to shut off the manual thing. The wrapping around the fuel line below the Shut Off is heat insulation from the Exhaust.

Second photo is Fuel pump and its factory required in Line Filter. Two filters is probably overkill, but no problems yet. The Pump is a Carter 2 - 4 lb. pressure pump. I do not use a Regulator and have no problems.

Pump uses the factory supplied bracket and it is attached to the frame rail using one of the Engine Pan bolts.

The Fuel Pump and the electric Shut Off are connected to a Toggle Switch behind the Dash Rail and are fused separate from all the other fusing in the vehicle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuel filter 1.jpg (69.9 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg fuel pump.jpg (47.4 KB, 159 views)
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #11
john in illinois

I have about the same as Ken. I use a 97 ,fuel shut off , carter pump, filter and holley regulator set for 2.5lbs.I mounted the pump and parts on a steel flat and bolted that to the existing holes. Didn't have to drill any holes. I also have a n f150 OD transmission and it's great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phpwKQaHSAM.jpg (46.7 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg phpjjQeARAM.jpg (58.4 KB, 189 views)
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #12
sturgis39

I think Macs sell a kit with line, pump and everything you need. The Weber sits high and you need a pump or you will only have two gallons of usable gas in the tank.
sturgis39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #13
Lembomw

Thank you all for your input. Looking at the pictures gives me a good idea of how to run the lines.

Sturgis39 and John, I will check out Mac's and Arizona Model A for the prebent fuel lines. I already have the carter filter and fuel pump.

I also have the Holley low pressure regulator PN 12-804. I have read the directions and see how to adjust the pressure, BUT HOW DO I KNOW WHAT THE PRESSURE IS?? 2 1/2 lbs pressure seems to be what I am looking for. Do I need a special tool to tell me when I get it adjusted to 2 1/2 lbs??

Thanks, Mark
Old 12-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #14
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgis39 View Post
I think Macs sell a kit with line, pump and everything you need. The Weber sits high and you need a pump or you will only have two gallons of usable gas in the tank.
Maybe in your rig, but I have run mine down far enough to where it took 10.6 gallons to fill my tank. Engine was still running when I pulled up to the gas station pump. No fuel pump, in line filter, Weber Carb with F150 OD, great combination!
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:32 PM   #15
usered

I got a small gas pressure gauge (1"), I think from Speedway, it sets inline after the regulator before the carb. The regulator I used is a dial type where you can dial the pressure you want, I didn't trust it, however it turned out to be pretty accurate. I got it from Speedway also.

As to the hole in the firewall, I ran the line from the tank through the original hole and just put a gromment in it around the line.

My configuration is FSI electronic ignition, Lion 4 plug head, Weber Carb., cast iron header, F150 OD trans. Runs great.

Ed
Old 12-17-2012, 04:34 PM   #16
miss victoria

No fuel pump needed,just selling you more stuff. a clean tank with good flow is all you need (see my weber kits on ebay great savings!)
miss victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #17
Lembomw

In line fuel gauge, of course. I must be brain dead for not being able to think of that. Thanks Ed.

Mark
Old 12-17-2012, 10:37 PM   #18
socalplanedoc

Would you guys with successful weber setups advise me on how your carb is outfitted? my Fordor came with one (a 91-99) that I've had a heck of a time getting dialed in. plugs are VERY sooty.

Main jet size.. power valve number?

my mains were unmarked but measured at .069 which seem way rich to me.. I put .045s in it and now it idles sweet but wont accelerate. tried drilling out to .059 with no improvement..

thanks in advance!

oh wait.. mine is a holley.. nevermind

Last edited by socalplanedoc; 12-17-2012 at 10:50 PM.
socalplanedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #19
socalplanedoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss victoria View Post
No fuel pump needed,just selling you more stuff. a clean tank with good flow is all you need (see my weber kits on ebay great savings!)
how are you listed on eBay?
socalplanedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:01 AM   #20
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalplanedoc View Post
how are you listed on eBay?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-MODEL-A...item3f1fbf7b3c
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Weber Carb.jpg (51.6 KB, 52 views)
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote