Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-18-2010, 05:22 PM   #1
Gary in Mozarks

Default Steering wheel restoration question

Ive got a steering wheel for my 38/39 ford that has the usual cracks etc. It appears the rusted steel rod inside has swollen the plastic and caused the cracks Do youi break off the plastic and clean up the metal and glue it back on or do yiou just ignore the swelling and fill the cracks?
Thanks Gary in Mozrks
Gary in Mozarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
KiWinUS

Default Re: Steering wheel restoration question

grind out & fill the cracks , eastwood & macs I believe both have great restoration kits. But realy any really good epoxy will work !
Cheers
Tony
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
51f1truck

Gary:

When I restored my cracked steering wheel, I just used a product like JB Weld. In fact, I think it was called JB Stick. It was a two part epoxy paste that you cut and then mold together. I cleaned all of the cracks, used a hacksaw blade to make a small V shape in each crack, and then carefully worked the epoxy paste into them. I kept wet sanding the wheel and applying the paste until it was fairly smooth. I was painting my truck at the time and so when I was almost finished, I sprayed it with a urethane primer/surfacer that builds up a few mils of thickness and can be sanded smooth. My final task was to spray paint it with black Rustoluem (they make an epoxy appliance variety that I used). After a few rounds of wet sanding, and then re-painting, it came out almost like new.

Fred
51f1truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
Psych

I have done a few and always use Acra Glas from Brownells. Its the epoxy that you use to bed rifle barrels. I first stabilize the wheel by taking off all the loose pieces and taking as much rust off the rod as possible. Put some epoxy in the bad spots. Its best to do a few at a time. Grind out the splits with a small grinder and fill the groves. Keep grinding and filling until its the way you want it. Takes a long time. Let me know if you want a picture of one in progress.
Psych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:32 PM   #5
Gary in Mozarks

It sounds like you guys pretty much just ignore the swelling unless the piece is loose. Am I getting the right impression? Thanks Gary
Gary in Mozarks is offline   Reply With Quote