Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-22-2023, 02:26 PM   #1
34fordy

Default Stromberg 97

Do all parts interchange between big logo and small logo Stromberg 97 carburetors? Are there differences other than the logo? Is the newer Grose valve an improvement over the needle and seat?
34fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 03:16 PM   #2
Fortunateson

Default Re: Stromberg 97

I’m watching...
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 03:34 PM   #3
deuce lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34fordy View Post
Do all parts interchange between big logo and small logo Stromberg 97 carburetors? Are there differences other than the logo? Is the newer Grose valve an improvement over the needle and seat?

Yes they interchange. I personally prefer the needle and seat.
deuce lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 07:27 PM   #4
alchemy

About 18 years ago I put together what I thought was a matched pair of Strombergs for my hot rod sedan. I used the best parts from the pile, a rather extensive pile. And I thought I did a good job making sure everything was a matching pair.

I used good kits, and assembled clean parts, and got them running OK on the car. A few years later I was fiddling, thinking I could make it run even better. I wasn't sure what else I could do, so I sent them off to Uncle Max for a looksee.

He informed me I had nice parts, but even though I thought they were all the same, I had a few mismatches. Evidently way down deep there are variations from different revisions you can't see from he outside. Tops not meant to work with some main bodies, and some bases got revised too.

But Max set me straight with all the proper guts, assembled with new mainshaft bushings, and they worked perfectly straight out of the box. Moral of the story, is that yes there are differences to the parts that aren't really obvious.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 05:13 AM   #5
nickthebandit

Uncle Max set me straight about using the base with the improved idle circuit with the correct, notched venturi main body to go with it. He told me that otherwise you will have an idling problem with mis-matched components.
nickthebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 07:21 AM   #6
Terry,OH

Nick: What you mention is true for the Stromberg made in Elmiira. Typically the 97's made in South Bend do not have the upper idle ckt or the notched venturi.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:35 AM   #7
terry

I have used that Grose valve for years on my stromberg 48 and have had no troubles. the older unit was leaking. terry
terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 05:45 PM   #8
nickthebandit

Terry, OH, what you say may be true, but the notched Stromberg 97 bowls that I have are the South Bend variety.
nickthebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 06:01 PM   #9
cjshaker

Does anyone have a link showing the differences of the old Strombergs, or what types were used on what years? That would sure be a good starting point, to be able to read up on them.

I have several boxes of Ford Strombergs, mostly NOS or vintage Ford reman's and I need to put together a pair for my '37. The only flatheads I've done were complete rebuilds of complete engines, so never had to switch pieces or parts.

It's interesting, because I have one that physically looks exactly the same as the other typical Ford carbs I have, but it's cast Zephyr on the side of the bowl instead of Ford. Presumably for a Lincoln, but it makes me wonder what the internal differences would be.
cjshaker is offline   Reply With Quote