Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-03-2016, 11:38 AM   #1
Coneross-A

Default Another Generator Question

I have been looking over some of the threads on polarizing generators, and I'm not clear on the whole procedure.

At some point my "A" was converted to negative ground. I want to go back to positive ground. So as I understand it, the first step is to put a jumper across the leads on the cutout for 1 second or so while the engine is running. I assume that the next step would be to shut the engine down and switch the battery leads? Also...the ammeter wires would have to be switched and to the coil.

Am I missing any thing? Any help would be much appreciated.
Coneross-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:46 AM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Another Generator Question

You don't have to have the engine running, you do have to have the battery connected the polarity you want to have ---then you jump the cutout ---this is only if you have a stock system, if you have a diode cutout you need one to match the polarity you will use --before you try to polarize
If you have a regulator you need to change it to one for the polarity and voltage you plan on using
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:15 PM   #3
Coneross-A

Thanks Kurt,

Having the engine off sounds safer. Many of the references I've seen on this say the engine should be running. That makes me a little edgy. I will check my cutout, but I am fairly certain it is too old to be a diode type.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:40 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coneross-A View Post
Thanks Kurt,

Having the engine off sounds safer. Many of the references I've seen on this say the engine should be running. That makes me a little edgy. I will check my cutout, but I am fairly certain it is too old to be a diode type.
I've never seen that, but anyway just do the changes as Kurt said, with the engine off.

If you can post a picture of the top and bottom of the cutout, I can probably tell what it is.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 03:45 PM   #5
H. L. Chauvin

Polarization scientifically explained ?????

Knew a very old black mechanic who was asked by a young teenager car owner years ago,

"Can you please explain what is generator polarization?"

"Sure!", he said,

"It is like you don't know me ....... and ...... I don't know you ..... now ...... once we get electrically wired and contact one another ...... we get connected and communicate ..... then ..... we will never forget one another !!!!!"

Hope this highly technical electrical concept of polarization helps someone some day.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:13 AM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post

Knew a very old black mechanic who was asked by a young teenager car owner years ago,

"Sure!", he said,

"It is like you don't know me ....... and ...... I don't know you ..... now ...... once we get electrically wired and contact one another ...... we get connected and communicate ..... then ..... we will never forget one another !!!!!"

Hope this highly technical electrical concept of polarization helps someone some day.

I like that!
Old 01-04-2016, 03:28 AM   #7
H. L. Chauvin

Mike,

This guy, like so many others in our rural community, had no formal education beyond the 3rd grade, at most ......... none during this time really needed today's teachers to show how to raise a family and earn a most descent happy living.

There is great merit to not have ambitions altered by a group of modern day, low salaried, limited-minded Government Employee Teachers .......... search for knowledge back then among the formally "uneducated" was unlimited.

Most millionaires in our rural community were self educated and were those who realized early in life what had to be done to "earn" income while being self-employed.

Appears the very simple meek who think, always inherit our earth's rewards.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 01-04-2016 at 03:39 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-04-2016, 06:51 AM   #8
RonC

Some aftermarket regulators will need to be removed before flashing. If you have the original style cutout connect the handles of a pair of pliers to the two cutout terminals effectively jumping a connection across the terminals. Do this for a second its instant.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:53 PM   #9
H. L. Chauvin

Another Generator/Cut-Out/Regulator Caution:

"If" one happens to have a Model A with a known, (or an unknown), cut-out "look-alike" device mounted on the generator ..... and .... "if" .......... it is a Fun Project's Voltage Regulator, according to this particular manufacturer:

"Never" short this voltage regulator's terminals together as with a jumper wire or other device to test the operation of this particular voltage regulator, (or, to "flash" the generator) ..... because shorting this particular voltage regulator will cause it to become damaged.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:35 PM   #10
Willie Krash

I love it. To the question of what polarization is keep in mind generators are self exciting.
The residual magnetism in the pole shoes allows that to happen.
Magnets have North and South poles. You are basically flipping your pole shoes magnetism around..
Personally I do it running or static. If running you can see if the generator will pick it up.
Re cars with generator regulators you can polarize them with the VR in circuit unless its a dual point VR. Like VW.
It may take more than one attempt to reverse it btw.
It is interesting to have a generator reverse to battery polarity. Not good, it is in series.

Last edited by Willie Krash; 01-05-2016 at 02:49 PM. Reason: syntax
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:47 PM   #11
Coneross-A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I've never seen that, but anyway just do the changes as Kurt said, with the engine off.

If you can post a picture of the top and bottom of the cutout, I can probably tell what it is.
Tom,

Pictures of cutout are below. As I was removing the cutout, the condition of the wires coming out of the generator and connecting to the cutout terminal make me think that a generator rebuild is in order regardless.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clipboard01.jpg (13.0 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg Clipboard02.jpg (17.6 KB, 87 views)
Old 01-05-2016, 01:08 AM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

OK, that looks like an original quality Ford cutout from post Model A period, due to the closed mounting hole vs open slots.

Actually the wires instead of an output stud, and the bevel on the rear plate also indicate this is post Model A production, but it will work fine for any Model A.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:10 AM   #13
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post

"Sure!", he said,

I like that explanation, H.L,
Reminds me of how Chief explained stuff to me. A little "humor" helps you REMEMBER stuff! That's why Me & the Dog try to include "humor"??,
Bill W. & the smilin' Dog
Old 01-05-2016, 10:26 PM   #14
Coneross-A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
OK, that looks like an original quality Ford cutout from post Model A period, due to the closed mounting hole vs open slots.

Actually the wires instead of an output stud, and the bevel on the rear plate also indicate this is post Model A production, but it will work fine for any Model A.
Thanks Tom

I actually wondered about the wires since they didn't seem to match diagrams I'd seen on line, and in the book by Les Andrews. I am still very new at this, and I'm learning as I go.

As a post Model A production generator, would you consider it worth rebuilding, assuming available parts would work in it?
Old 01-05-2016, 11:24 PM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coneross-A View Post
Thanks Tom

I actually wondered about the wires since they didn't seem to match diagrams I'd seen on line, and in the book by Les Andrews. I am still very new at this, and I'm learning as I go.

As a post Model A production generator, would you consider it worth rebuilding, assuming available parts would work in it?
If not too much is wrong I'd rebuild it. Those generators with two wires coming out the hole are easy to mix up, so push and pull on one wire and see where it goes. The one going to the field windings goes to ground under the cutout mounting screw.

The other wire is the generator output wire and goes to the stationary insulated brush, and of course the top end goes to the cutout terminal.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:27 PM   #16
Coneross-A

Thank you for the advice Tom.