Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-12-2019, 09:55 PM   #1
deuce_roadster

Default Detroit Lubricator minutiae

Ok, a friend and I are looking to find some answers about these carbs. Specifically the early ones, the "elbow carbs". Why do we care--I guess it is just inquiring minds want to know!
Engine 18-I has one that on the bowl cover plate has a patent # 9000. As changes were made the last digit changed. We have in hand examples of elbow carbs with the last digit being 5. Our curiosity is what changed between 9000 and 9004? With service notes and direct observations, we pretty much have the changes identified between 5 and 6 and on. The letter before the 900x is the month, A=Jan etc.
IF ANYONE has one of these early examples with a last digit 1-4 we would LOVE to see pictures of it from all sides. Somewhere in this sequence the round lever on the passenger side changed to one that is flat, and the round lever had a guide that disappeared when the lever turned flat.
None of this is to brag to some judge or anything like that. Just plain curiosity. We also know that stuff got mixed and matched over the years.
Dave Cole never wrote a DL article that I could find and David Rehor's fabulous books don't cover the carbs in the kind of detail we are looking at. I understand why that is. Who Cares about something few are likely to ever see? All of this comes from one of us (not me) building a flange block display engine with all the early stuff like 4 bolt distributor (which is a whole 'nother story)
So if any of the heavy hitters out there that has one of these things in a display case, please consider shooting pictures of it so we can see what changed. Maybe the changes were inside like when the accelerator piston changed diameters but again, we are only looking for pictures of carbs 9001 to 9004 patent numbers, we have 5 and higher up into the 33s as far as 11.
If you have a DL, go look at the plate on the top and see what you have.
Thanks in advance for helping us gain useless knowledge!
You can PM me if you want to send pictures to an email account.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote