Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-05-2022, 11:03 AM   #21
Stingray70

Default Re: Blue Ridge Parkway/ Skyline Drive

Well the car is back together with 2 weeks to spare! Rear end rebuilt (after much drama). I am really glad I did that because I found the driveshaft bearing was completely trashed in addition to the bad axle. That wouldn't have lasted much longer.. All 4 brakes rebuilt and new cast iron drums by Randy Gross. 4 new Stipes shocks and rebuilt springs. It amazes me how nice this car stops and handles now. I dare say it is comfortable.

Now I just have to put together my spares and tools.
Old 09-05-2022, 11:34 AM   #22
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray70 View Post
Well the car is back together with 2 weeks to spare! Rear end rebuilt (after much drama). I am really glad I did that because I found the driveshaft bearing was completely trashed in addition to the bad axle. That wouldn't have lasted much longer.. All 4 brakes rebuilt and new cast iron drums by Randy Gross. 4 new Stipes shocks and rebuilt springs. It amazes me how nice this car stops and handles now. I dare say it is comfortable.

Now I just have to put together my spares and tools.
Remember, when you have new brake linings just installed, the high spots on the linings wear down first while the shoes get fully seated to the drums, and you need to adjust the brakes more often to make up for this initial wear. Once the shoes are seated, you don't need to adjust them so often.

Since you'll be using the new brakes a lot on the Parkway, be prepared (bring with you what you will need) to adjust the brakes a few times.

Have fun!
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 02:55 PM   #23
nkaminar

I was planning on joining you on the parkway for a few hundred miles but took a wrong turn and ended up in Arizona. Should be able to find my way back to North Carolina sometime in January.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 11:30 PM   #24
Ricky Mullen

You will find the Parkway closed from Bent Mountain in Roanoke County to where it crosses 460. It has been closed for quite a while. I don’t know why. So plan on passing through Roanoke. Roanoke area is probably the least attractive section of the parkway, anyway. I am in Roanoke, and can help you if you get into a bind. My number is (540) 493-8756. I am notoriously bad about carrying my phone, so leave a message. My uncle was the administrator of the Parkway his last few years in the service. Call if you need anything.
Ricky Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 04:25 AM   #25
shew01

Default Blue Ridge Parkway/ Skyline Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Mullen View Post
Roanoke area is probably the least attractive section of the parkway
I agree that some of the Roanoke section is not overly attractive, but Mill Mountain, located on a parkway spur, is pretty and has a couple of very nice overlooks. It’s worth the stop.

There is a small zoo and a “man made star” on Mill Mountain as well. All of this is a just a few miles away from Market Square in downtown Roanoke. Market Square is historic, and plenty of local flavor restaurants reside there. If you reach Roanoke on a weekend, there may be a festival of some sort going on.

If you are interested in trains, the Transportation Museum is also nearby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by shew01; 09-06-2022 at 05:02 AM.
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 06:51 AM   #26
History

Could always drop down to Bedford and check out the memorial for D-Day. Bedford lost 19 men out of 35 that day, much smaller town then. I met a fellow one morning which happened to be June 6th probably 1989, he was in the 29th and being the anniversary started reminiscing, I’ll never forget the stuff he told me.
Quote:
You will find the Parkway closed from Bent Mountain in Roanoke County to where it crosses 460. It has been closed for quite a while. I don’t know why. So plan on passing through Roanoke. Roanoke area is probably the least attractive section of the parkway, anyway. I am in Roanoke, and can help you if you get into a bind. My number is (540) 493-8756. I am notoriously bad about carrying my phone, so leave a message. My uncle was the administrator of the Parkway his last few years in the service. Call if you need anything.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 07:24 AM   #27
Oldbluoval

Had a friend that passed untimely many years ago. He knew his days were numbered. His last request was to make a drive on that parkway! That’s how impressionable it can be.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 09:13 AM   #28
History

I forgot in Asheville, check out the Biltmore house, it’ll take a day but worth it.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 03:54 PM   #29
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by History View Post
I forgot in Asheville, check out the Biltmore house, it’ll take a day but worth it.

Agreed.

Old 09-06-2022, 07:53 PM   #30
Chuck Dempsey

'Quote:
Originally Posted by History View Post

Agreed.'

Ditto - I drove over there in my Tudor back in the mid-70s, when I lived in West Asheville. My dad followed in his old VW Bug, just in case.....
Chuck Dempsey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 10:40 PM   #31
Peyton

My wife and I toured on highways parallel to and near the Blue Ridge/ Skyline Drive in a totally stock 31 Tudor. It amazed me how fit the Model A is for touring the west N.C. and east Tn mountains.

Very rarely had to downshift even on steep downgrades and could usually make it up fairly steep grades in third. This with a somewhat marginal engine. I am convinced that the 3.78 differential is a great one for the mountains.

Grandfather Mountain was a real challenge but we got up there w/o problems. Just make sure you don’t stop!

We also toured the same mountain routes in my 73 Std Beetle. It did well but could be cranky in very cold weather.

The Model A and Beetle — two great mountain cars!
Peyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 04:21 AM   #32
shew01

Default Blue Ridge Parkway/ Skyline Drive

October is peak leaf season. Gorgeous drives will be on display very soon.

https://www.visitroanokeva.com/regio...olor-schedule/

Old 09-07-2022, 08:06 AM   #33
jb-ob

Hopefully you can use this for inspiration to go the distance.....

sheepisland.com/3000modela/
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 09:21 AM   #34
Stingray70

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb-ob View Post
Hopefully you can use this for inspiration to go the distance.....

sheepisland.com/3000modela/
Thanks for that link, I hadn't seen that. We were actually talking about doing a similar trip depending on how the car behaves next week

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2022, 10:16 AM   #35
jb-ob

After all this discussion, it is 'required' to post pictures of your adventures for the rest of us 'land locked' types......Looking forward to it !
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 08:13 PM   #36
Ted Duke

It should be a beautiful time for your drive.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 08:32 PM   #37
v8fordman

Make sure to stop at Meadows of Dan and Mabry Mill just past Fancy Gap, VA. Visit Nancy’s Candy Company and watch them make amazing truffles. (And you can buy a few as well)
v8fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 09:37 AM   #38
Lannis

Quote:
The section around Roanoke from US460 down to Adney Gap at US221 has been closed for a year or more due to landslides dumping huge amounts of mud and rock across the road, requiring a complete re-engineering of some sections.

A lot of people (including me) use that section of Parkway as a Roanoke bypass when heading south from Central Virginia down toward Hillsville/Galax/Floyd areas. For whatever reason, the National Park Service allowed condominium and apartment construction backing right up to the Parkway, so it's not in fact a very scenic section unless you like swingsets, barbeque grills, and trash cans.

The Parkway would be a wonderful ride in a Model A. I've done it end to end on antique motorcycles with a 45 MPH top speed and there's nothing dangerous about it.

Lannis
Lannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 09:39 AM   #39
Lannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8fordman View Post
Make sure to stop at Meadows of Dan and Mabry Mill just past Fancy Gap, VA. Visit Nancy’s Candy Company and watch them make amazing truffles. (And you can buy a few as well)
Nancy's is a dangerous place ... the candy is irresistible. I highly recommend a stop there.

Lannis
Lannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 06:20 AM   #40
Stingray70

Well it looks like the weather is going to be great along the parkway this week. She's all secure in the trailer and we're headed to Waynesboro. The fun starts tomorrow. Wish us luck!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk