Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-15-2024, 02:22 PM   #1
antiwork

Default Sock replacement

I have a 55 Fairlane with a replacement stock style gas tank in it. It seems like I’m getting a low volume of fuel coming from the tank. I’m suspecting that the sock (if there is one) may be partially blocked. The way these tanks are setup is a little foreign to me, with the separate outlet and sender.

At a glance it doesn’t look like there’s a way to remove the outlet from the tank, is there? Otherwise, how do you go about cleaning or replacing the sock, if there is one?
antiwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 11:02 PM   #2
fordor41

Default Re: Sock replacement

from pics I have found, the sender appears to be accessed from inside the trunk. looks like opposite side from the filler pipe. check for an access door in trunk floor.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 11:18 PM   #3
miker98038

Default Re: Sock replacement

If it’s like a Thunderbird, that’s how you pull the sender. A small hand and arm might get to the sock. But you’ll want it as close to empty as you can get, and be very careful. No metal tools, those gas vapors are very explosive. I’d be doing that in the driveway as far from the house as possible. Not that it’s going to matter to the guy with his arm in there.

You might explore why you think the volume is low, and either way I’d be blowing back thru the line with compressed air. Cap off. If it’s crud in the sock, that should clear it at least temporarily. Maybe even junk in the gas line. And if the steel lines aren’t new, I’d be suspicious of them. Years old and ethanol fuel, could be rust.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 03:58 AM   #4
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: Sock replacement

Quote:
At a glance it doesn’t look like there’s a way to remove the outlet from the tank, is there? Otherwise, how do you go about cleaning or replacing the sock, if there is one?
There is no 'sock' on a 55 FORD. One equipped (later models) would have it attached to the sender unit for easier service.

How old is the tank? Maybe consider a fuel pressure and volume test.

You need a FORD WORKSHOP MANUAL for the car.

- MULTI-VEHICLE SYNTHETIC TRANSMISSION FLUID -

Multi-vehicle transmission fluids are becoming more and more popular in the marketplace. Oil marketers design these fluids for a wide range of automatic transmission types. While they are not licensed by any specific auto manufacturer ... ??? ... enough said ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 12:03 PM   #5
KULTULZ

Cool Re: Sock replacement

2nd thought ...

If the tank is fouled with sediment/rust, it may not be a good idea of blowing compressed air into the fuel line as if there is any trash in the line, it will be re-introduced into the tank.

Have you checked your filter for trash/blockage? Your tank should have a drain plug. What I would do is after the car set for a day is drain some fuel into a glass jar and let it sit until anything in it settles. Consider installing a petcock to drain water out of the tank on a periodic basis.

If fouled, consider either draining the tank or removing the fuel line from the tank and then use air.

Make sure the vent is not blocked with mud dobbers ... ...

Ethanol will tear up a metal/no EVAP SYSTEM. Just the way nature works. If the fuel has fouled the tank it will have to come out and be cleaned/replaced.

Ethanol fuel will also eat a fuel pump housing. It will also deteriorate a cellulose filter material, fouling the carburetor. Once that trash is in the CARB it is rebuild time.

- MULTI-VEHICLE SYNTHETIC TRANSMISSION FLUID -

Multi-vehicle transmission fluids are becoming more and more popular in the marketplace. Oil marketers design these fluids for a wide range of automatic transmission types. While they are not licensed by any specific auto manufacturer ... ??? ... enough said ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote