Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-20-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
rustyfords

Default New...Looking to Piece an "A" Together

Last edited by rustyfords; 03-17-2013 at 10:15 PM.
rustyfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
Fred K-OR

Default Re: New...Looking to Piece an "A" Together

Hello rustyfords. If you want to economize of getting into the hobby, you may want to start by looking at some of the chassis that are advertised for sale. People (guess you could call them people) will take a good A and take the body off for a hotrod. So they want to sell the chassis and quite often you can pick up a very good running chassis for not much. Then you can go for a body somewhere. Ebay sometimes has them for sale or you could build you rig into a huckster like the one I have.

Anyway, just my thoughts.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
1930artdeco

Hi Rustyfords,

Welcome...back? Beside trying the local Model A clubs in your area and around Texas, try Craigslist. You may find a complete car that needs work or the pieces to put one together. You may also look at other clubs in other states, a 31 delux roadtser is for sale at 20K in one of my clubs out west-just an example. If you are really adventurous there is always ebay.

Mike
Old 04-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfords View Post
I'm a high school teacher and am not rolling in the dough, but if anyone lives in the Houston area and has some of the bits that might get a project like this started, let me know.
I suggest spending the money up front and getting a driver right off. You can then go over the car little by little (a rolling restoration) and still enjoy the use of the car.

If you insist of either buying a basket case or want to "build" one from parts you will spend a fortune. It is a sad fact that it costs more to resore a model A then what the car will sell for once you're done.

You own an A because you love an A not because you can make money off it.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:43 PM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
I'm new to this version of FordBarn, but used to frequent it years ago in its old format.

I'm the proud owner of a 54 tudor sedan and a 66 F100 shortbed. I've had the 54 since I was a junior in high school in 1986, and just bought the 66 a few months ago after a long search for a low-mileage, thoroughly original shortbed with original paint, etc.

Unlike most guys my age, I prefer the bone stock stuff, although I did relent and have dropped a 302 and AOD transmission in my 54. The original 239 overhead valve y-block in 54 was not a good engine, and I wanted my 54 to be a serious long-haul highway car. I have however, gone to great pains to keep the rest of the car original and have even painted the 302 in 1954 engine colors and decals. (I even modified the original oil-bath air cleaner to fit a 4 barrel carburetor).

The last car that I want in my permanent stable is a Model A. I've wanted one since I was a little kid. A guy down the road had a red 29 roadster in his carport that sat there for years. When I turned 16, I had $1,200 saved up and approached the guy to buy it. It was in fairly good condition and he wanted $2K for it. My dad had told me that he would match my saved money for whatever car I bought but wouldn't help me buy the "A". He said that no model A was worth $2K!!!

Anyway....I'm looking to either buy an A that needs a lot of work or start piecing together the bits to make a complete car. My preference is a coupe. I do almost all of my own work from the engine work to welding, etc. so I can get pretty creative with stuff that other people might not look at.

I'm a high school teacher and am not rolling in the dough, but if anyone lives in the Houston area and has some of the bits that might get a project like this started, let me know.
My suggestion would be to either contact Bill Coleman who has a restoration shop out near Channelview, --or go attend a Houston Model A Club meeting and tell them what you are looking for and your goals. You might even be able to trade out some mechanic work for some parts that another club member might have that would get you going where you would have little cash outlay. That is a great group as my father was one of the first members of that club back in the mid-60's when it was initially formed. As far as buying pieces vs. a compete car, I think there is prudent advice above that pieces & parts aren't as 'glamorous' as what that might seem. If nothing else, the freight and travel expenses of gathering up those misc. pieces will likely break the bank!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
Bassman/NZ

Guy I know was given a Model A coupe in very nice condition in 1965. He still has it to this day.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:21 PM   #7
BobinDallas

The suggestion to buy s running car instead of "piecing one together" is the best advice you will ever receive relative to Model A's. (or any other project car). I am doing a "resto-mod" on a running, unrestored '30 coupe. As I dis-assembled the car I was amazed how good it was. A quick paint job turned into a nut and bolt restoration as a long distance tourer. Not counting the cost of the car, I have about $20,000 in so far and will probably spend another $10,000. There is no way that I will ever recover the costs, but I will have an excellent car to add to my collection and will not feel insecure driving to California or anywhere else. I could have purchased a restored car in excellent condition for around $25,000, but I am extremly picky on how things are done. I will never regret the money I spend, but it is always cheaper to buy the best car you can afford and maintain it carefully. Everyone here speaks from experience.

Last edited by BobinDallas; 04-20-2011 at 09:38 PM.
BobinDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:20 AM   #8
Brentwood Bob

The complete car route is the preferred way to go in my opinion. 21 years ago I bought a chassis with an unknown history, still have it and alot of parts. Much more fun to drive um. Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:03 AM   #9
Rowdy
BANNED

I agree, piecing an A together is not the best option, especially if you are on a budget. I would never have gone that route except the fact that I bought a deluxe delivery body for a nice price and only had to make 3 or 4 purchases to have a rather complete car. The rarity of the body style was the determining factor. If not for that fact buying an older restoration is the best way to go. Rod
Old 04-21-2011, 09:58 AM   #10
Clydes 31 P/U

And yet again I'm going to buck the trend if you're serious about having an A and can only afford to do it piece meal then go for it, I had just as much fun when my P/U was just a frame and quasi speedster body as now that it is not so much "restored" as rejuvinated. True that its cheaper to buy one already done but only if you can afford it. Gentlemen sharpen your aim and let the stones fly.
Clydes 31 P/U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:23 AM   #11
Terry, NJ

FWIW, I bought an A to restore, hell it can't be much can it? I recall when JC Whitney was selling A stuff and it was pretty cheap then. The car is simple, how much can it be?
Well....$3000+ for an engine
$ 1800+ (so far) for wood,More to come. And I am making a lot of it myself.
About $500 for glass and windshield frame and garnish moulding
New Town sedan upholstery ???? $
New Interior Panels etc ????$
Body work and paint ????$
So far, Ive spent at least $1000 on incidentals and small stuff
Wheels and tires seem OK I spent about $200 on 7 19" wheels and 5 16"
Both the Trans and rear gears are unknown quanties They are there and have all the gears but who knows if they're roadworthy or not. So that could esily be $500-1000. Got a deal on a newer radiator at Hershey last year $50. It seems to hold water?????
And this doesn't cover the purchase price. I've made a lot of the body and door wood myself. I've done a lot of the welding myself. I'm doing the frame work myself. So you run the numbers. Someone said to me"What are you buying that car it needs so much work!" I declared something about the pleasures of restoration or something. I sorta wish I had started with a coupe or roadster instead of jumping in the deep end of the pool with a Town Sedan. I originally budgeted $12 K for this project, it looks like I'm gonna go over that by quite a bit.
Terry

Quote:
Thanks for the advice.....I appreciate it.

Yall are probably right about buying a complete car. I'm in the finishing stages on the 4 year, frame-off complete rebuild of my 54 tudor Mainline, and I'll have about $12K in it when it's done. But, like you Bob, I know literally every nut and bolt in the car and have total confidence in its ability to drive anywhere. I've managed to keep the total cost down because I've been very thrifty and have done almost all of the work myself.

Strangely, my personal tastes have changed over the years. I used to be into perfect restorations, but lately I've been more into old cars that are showing the signs of being driven and loved, and that's what I'll be shooting for with my future Model A. I've gotten to the point where I strive for mechanical perfection, but not so much when it comes to paint.

My recently acquired 66 F100 for instance, is a 59K mile, thoroughly original survivor, and the paint is rubbed through where the longtime owner used to lean on the bed and the hood. 20 years ago, I would've been making plans to repaint the whole thing, but now I kind of like the fact that the truck shows the signs of Mr. Hamm's presence for all those years.

I have no illusions of finding a Model A with original paint and 59K miles, but I think it might be possible to find an old restoration from the 60s or 70s that is mostly sound but in need of some work to get it roadworthy again.

I'd like to spend around $5K to buy the initial car, but I'm thinking that might be a bit ambitious, especially for a coupe.....we'll see.

I will take yalls advice though, and join the Houston Model A club.....get to know those guys and start nosing around for an A.

(FWIW....in 1999, I had a 29 roadster for about 6 months. The body was very rough and had been thoroughly patched. I got it running fairly well though and learned to love the sweet, simple little four-banger. I had to sell it though to provide funds for a family emergency.)
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:57 PM   #12
Steve Ciccalone

The sum of the parts is greater than the whole. Be patient and you will find a decent A project for less than you will spend part after part over time, IMHO.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:07 PM   #13
dumb person

Peice one together anyway, no model A's are being made so you will have to make one from junk, i would! But unfortunatly i cannot help you find parts.

Last edited by dumb person; 04-23-2011 at 01:14 PM. Reason: spelling error
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:46 PM   #14
Jason in TX

I personally think this one in ft worth seems like a good deal for a running unrestored A

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33701
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:47 PM   #15
Kahuna

I would like to add another vote for the "Buy a complete car" idea. I can attest as to the extreme and mostly unneccesary expense of doing it as parts. I bought a basket case 32 Model B Ford Tudor sedan. Originally, the owner bought it as a father/son project, but when the kid saw it, told Dad that he'd rather have a Honda. Anyway, I got it knowing that many parts were missing. Further, it had the wrong running gear, so all had to be changed. Get a complete car. You'll be much ahead of the game.
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote