Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-18-2022, 09:20 PM   #1
JohninKuranda

Default E28 Brake Equalizer query

Most of the advice I have been given, and the reading that I have done, is that even before attempting to adjust the brakes, one must have both the cross shaft levers that the brake rods connect to, straight up and down.

Mine are not.

I have an Early 28 that has a break equalizer shaft setup. If I get the right side positioned at 12 & 6 o'clock, the left side ends up as 11 & 5 o'clock. Adjusting the left side correctly then throws out the right.

Any suggestions on what I need to do, replace, adjust etc. so that both brake shaft levers are at 12 & 6 o'clock?

Or is the straight up and down advice only for the later brake shaft setup?

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RHS Lever.jpg (34.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg LHS Lever.jpg (23.0 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Equalizer.jpg (30.8 KB, 50 views)
JohninKuranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 10:23 PM   #2
Jim/GA

Default Re: E28 Brake Equalizer query

It is important to have them both vertical. See the Ford Service Bulletins for January 1928 where they go through the brake adjusting procedure. Something in your system is worn or bent and you need to correct it.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 12:24 AM   #3
JohninKuranda

Further to Jim's comment I have checked out the whole setup further. From the Service Bulletin it is a little unclear if the stop for the equalizer is a right angle to the frame - I query this as mine appear to be bent at the point where it stops the rod. I also note that the plate that holds the stops appears to be a bolt on. If this is OE, is a part still available or is it an engineering shop job?

The holder that the center of the equalizer shaft pivots in appears to be loose. Is this as it should be - or is it supposed to be rigid?

I also noticed that the rod that connects the brake pedal to the equalizer bar comes into contact with the Equalizer Shaft when it is depressed. This of course sends the whole setup out of kilter. So I am now not 100% sure that the rod is correct. Does any one have the OE part number for the Early 28's? And is it just a standard fish eye fitting used?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Service Bulletin.jpg (29.9 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Stop.jpg (57.2 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg Fisheye approaches equalizer.jpg (36.5 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Fisheye hits equalizer.jpg (42.1 KB, 59 views)
JohninKuranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 01:35 AM   #4
atourer

Hi John, I am a purist but for a simple solution I reckon you should swap in the later 1 piece cross shaft and the matching pedal to cross shaft rod and put that equaliser set up on the shelf for posterity !!. There are too many moving parts in this old system and all have been subject to lots of wear and abuse.

Anyway, to address your specific questions.
Yes the cross shafts must be straight up and down where they connect to the front & rear brake rods.
The equaliser stop is usually punched out of the cross member like your photo in the bulletin. Yours is different but looks factory made so that is curious and it could be original. If it is dimensionally equal and square/straight then it is ok & i would not touch it.
I am guessing the cross shaft on the passenger side is bent at the outer end. I suggest you take both cross shafts out and lay them on the bench - they should be a mirror of each other.
All the wear and slop needs to be taken out of all parts, also the shafts wear in the spot where they rub on the chassis and by the way there should be springs inside the brake cross shafts where they meet the equaliser.
It is possible that the pedal to cross shaft linkage is not the correct one also.
Hope this helps
Regards, Brian
atourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 06:28 AM   #5
jb-ob

John,

A quick reply, that bolted on bracket to the center crossmember was a very quiet fix for a very disturbing Ford brake problem = loosing brakes completely. With the introduction of the fixed length brae rods, Ford stopped punching stops in the center cross member to prevent the equalizer shafts extending fully. Bad idea and the bolt on bracket was the fix.

This 'up date' is only mentioned in September '29 Service Letters.

Best, jb
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 11:52 AM   #6
jrelliott

Service bulletins recommends going to one piece shaft. Eliminates a lot of problems. I switched for safety,l
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 03:45 PM   #7
Gary Karr

Your bolt-on bracket should do the same to the brake shafts as what the crossmember punch outs would do. I can see in your picture that there is considerable wear on the ends. I recommend that if you want to stay with this bracket, remove it, weld and file to worn spots. A small amount of travel there can translate into your cross shafts not lining up completely vertical.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 10:13 AM   #8
mbaughman

Anyone have a source for the dimensions of the bolt on bracket?
mbaughman is offline   Reply With Quote