Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-23-2022, 10:53 AM   #21
flatjack9

Default Re: adj lifters

I just got a note from Charlie NY, He has used the hollow lifters from Van Pelt with good results. Made in Europe somewhere.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 08:01 PM   #22
Pete

Whut r justible liftrs?
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 08:06 PM   #23
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Whut r justible liftrs?
A crutch for people without adequate mechanical skills?
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 08:09 PM   #24
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
A crutch for people without adequate mechanical skills?
Giggle.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 09:59 PM   #25
alchemy

Any heathen with a wrench and a feeler gauge can make an adjustable lifter fit. It takes a real talent to weld and grind valve tips to fit a solid lifter. Count me in the first camp.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 04:34 PM   #26
frames

Using the SNIPE system I was able to buy 2 sets of lifters from him at a fair price. IMPOSSIBLE to turn the bolts. I used one set by replacing the bolts with used Johnson bolts. The other set I returned. Refund. But I was out his REDICULAS [ what a joke ] shipping cost and my $16.00 shipping cost. His valve springs are worthless too. Coil bind!. His first ads said he ' found a warehouse with original Johnson lifters' Ya right.
frames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 09:49 AM   #27
Bored&Stroked

I have somewhat hollow "adjustables" in my 32 Cab, but they have a funny thing on the bottom - definitely not flat???

RollerLifter2 copy.jpg
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 10:58 AM   #28
Ol' Ron

I can remember when these were 12 bucks a set for the good ones. Then they went up to $20, I told the guy " Pretty soon they'll be 50. Little did I know?????
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 05:30 PM   #29
1948F-1Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
I have somewhat hollow "adjustables" in my 32 Cab, but they have a funny thing on the bottom - definitely not flat???

Attachment 505710
Hopefully not offshore. I recently saw a You-Tube video where they were "fixing" Crower flat tappet lifters, that obviously came from outside the USA.
Sad. And there's no way to actually regrind them and fix the horrible machining on the lifter base, the machine shop was just demonstrating how far off the crap was from where it's supposed to be dimensionally.
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 06:38 PM   #30
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post

Attachment 505710
Even without Petehoovie, I see the roller on the bottom of that lifter. And those are for an early V8? I have not worked on modern automotive engines so I'm wondering what keeps them from turning sideways? Seems like a motorcycle fork with no rake or trail ?? Obviously I'm missing something.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 12:12 AM   #31
GB SISSON

I googled 'roller lifters for early ford V8' and see that are set up with a link across the tops that keeps them running at 90 degrees to the cam lobes.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 08:13 AM   #32
Bored&Stroked

Hey GB: These are what are called "groove lock" lifters. The sides of them have a little round ball that rides in a groove that is drilled down the side of each lifter bore. There is a special jig/tool that is used to drill the lifter bores - with about an 1/8" long drill.

When I pull my engine for inspection next Spring, I will inspect all the lifters and see if there is any noticable wear on the "little balls". The reason is if one of these ever turned, then it gets snapped off (or breaks the cam) and all of that falls into the reciprocating assembly and the whole engine usually becomes a "mixer". Bad JuJu for sure!

Another reason I'm pulling the engine is to put in a new custom flywheel and clutch - along with a 4-carb manifold. I only have two Stromberg 48's on it now - not nearly enough carb for what the engine is capable of doing. So why not try 4! LOL

Take care and have a very Merry Christmas!
Old 12-19-2022, 09:03 AM   #33
Tim Ayers

[QUOTE=Bored&Stroked;2190099]Hey GB: These are what are called "groove lock" lifters. The sides of them have a little round ball that rides in a groove that is drilled down the side of each lifter bore. There is a special jig/tool that is used to drill the lifter bores - with about an 1/8" long drill.

When I pull my engine for inspection next Spring, I will inspect all the lifters and see if there is any noticable wear on the "little balls". The reason is if one of these ever turned, then it gets snapped off (or breaks the cam) and all of that falls into the reciprocating assembly and the whole engine usually becomes a "mixer". Bad JuJu for sure!

Another reason I'm pulling the engine is to put in a new custom flywheel and clutch - along with a 4-carb manifold. I only have two Stromberg 48's on it now - not nearly enough carb for what the engine is capable of doing. So why not try 4! LOL

Pretty neat. I've always wanted to try those rollers. I'm also leaning towards trying a 4X2 intake.

Here's a woulda, coulda, shoulda story for you. It was the late '90's and I went to a town wide yard sale. Found a guy who had some flathead speed stuff. Hexagon Tool intake and a new in the box set of Crower roller lifters with the drilling gig. Guy said $100 for both. I split the difference with him and took the intake for $50 and left the lifters.

Went home and found out how much that lifter and jig set cost. Went back to his house and he said he sold them later that day. Wish I had a time machine. LOL!
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 10:32 AM   #34
ct1932ford

Make sure you loctite the new lifters when adjusting . I have had them loosen up shortly after doing.
Old 12-19-2022, 06:12 PM   #35
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Here's a woulda, coulda, shoulda story for you. It was the late '90's and I went to a town wide yard sale. Found a guy who had some flathead speed stuff. Hexagon Tool intake and a new in the box set of Crower roller lifters with the drilling gig. Guy said $100 for both. I split the difference with him and took the intake for $50 and left the lifters.
I'm not sure they even have the jig available anymore. They called me a couple years ago and asked if I could lend it to a fellow racer. I did and thankfully it came back to me.