Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-12-2020, 04:11 PM   #21
Dark.ghost18

Default Re: S/n help

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyNiner View Post
So, originally there should be a plate on the engine bay firewall with the serial number. I take it is missing? While the practices varied by assembly plant, I'm not familiar with any that stamped the serial number on the bell housing.
The only plate inside the engine bay is riveted onto the frame by the steering column with the s/n on it. There is a plate on the firewall, but on the right in front of the driver, that's looks like it's been painted over, tired to clean it off but it seemed to have nothing stamped on it.

Last edited by Dark.ghost18; 03-12-2020 at 04:25 PM.
Dark.ghost18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:24 PM   #22
Dark.ghost18

Quote:
So, originally there should be a plate on the engine bay firewall with the serial number. I take it is missing? While the practices varied by assembly plant, I'm not familiar with any that stamped the serial number on the bell housing.
Also, I don't know if it matters but I believe it's the "business" super deluxe coupe.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:35 PM   #23
V8COOPMAN

Quote:

Bad information.....Ford had NO ID plates on the firewall before 1949. This picture (thank you to Mac VanPelt) should get you familiar with serial number stamped on transmission bell housing thru 1948. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:40 PM   #24
tubman

My grandpa was never that good to me. He had a '41 Plymouth and I still didn't get it.

Nice lookin' car.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:42 PM   #25
Dark.ghost18

V8COOPMAN
Yes, this is what I found as well but I don't have the time or tools untill I get the car back home, to remove the floor board to check the top of the transmission bell.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:48 PM   #26
Dark.ghost18

Since this s/n is riveted onto the frame and not stamped onto it with stars on the begining and end. Could it be possible to have been a restored coupe and given a new vin/serial number?
Old 03-12-2020, 05:40 PM   #27
Bob C

This is from Vanpelt's site.

From 1932 through 1948 vehicles, Ford Motor Company stamped the serial number into the top of the driver's side frame rail in three locations. This same number was also stamped into the top of the transmission-to-engine housing portion of the transmission. This location was visible when the floorboard and transmission cover plate were removed (click here for a picture example). Of the frame-stamped serial numbers, only the forward-most stamping was visible when looking down into the engine compartment (located between the front crossmember and the dash (firewall). The two other frame locations are visible only when the body is removed from the frame. The serial numbers were metal stamped with numbers/letters approximately 1/4" in height.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:43 PM   #28
meric42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark.ghost18 View Post
Also, I don't know if it matters but I believe it's the "business" super deluxe coupe.
I think you will find that the 'Business' coupes have the short door (same as the Fordor Sedan and Sedan Delivery), yours appears to have the longer door which might make it a 'Sedan Coupe'?

Gotta love my '42 Sedan Delivery's - Now that I own the only two in New Zealand

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album.php?albumid=580

Last edited by meric42; 03-12-2020 at 05:49 PM.
meric42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:51 PM   #29
meric42

Here's a picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 46 sedan coupe.jpg (56.7 KB, 22 views)

Old 03-12-2020, 05:55 PM   #30
meric42

Another
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 46 sedan coupe a.jpg (54.5 KB, 12 views)

Old 03-12-2020, 06:11 PM   #31
rotorwrench

VanPelt Sales has a decent listing but it doesn't include commercial pickups.
http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...ialnumbers.htm

98R sounds like a 1949 pickup ID number. Where is this number stamped on the car? Ford stamped transmissions and frames but eventually they stopped stamping the transmissions.

Someone may have used a 49 pickup title to get it legal. The F1 pickups only had the number stamped on the frame and on a little metal tag that was attached to the glove box door. I wonder if that's where the tag came from. Folks will try all sorts of stuff to get a car legal. That old car likely has the original number stamped on the frame near the steering box.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 03-12-2020 at 06:17 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:26 PM   #32
cas3

when my grand mother was moving to the nursing home in the mid 70's she was still driving the 46 plymouth coupe she bought new. when i asked about the car, my mother said they gave it to the kid at the gas station who kept it running for her. when i started whining about that, she said" THAT OLD THING ?, YOU WANTED THAT OLD THING ? it was like new, and in AZ most of its life, probably still is. any way nice old ford grampa left for ya!
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:23 PM   #33
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I have never heard of a plate being attached to the frame with the serial number on it in these years. Something strange is going on here. It could be an assigned number by a DMV, or maybe someone found the original stamping difficult to read and decided to improve it with the addition of a plate, or whatever. I would be willing to bet It did not come from Ford that way. It is possible that if the original numbers were difficult to see that they were misread when the Plate was added. Lots of possibilities here. Perhaps there was a frame change and they were attempting to keep what they believed to be the original serial number for the vehicle.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:39 PM   #34
FortyNiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Bad information.....Ford had NO ID plates on the firewall before 1949. This picture (thank you to Mac VanPelt) should get you familiar with serial number stamped on transmission bell housing thru 1948. DD

Careful. My 46 has a plate on the firewall. The Van Pelt site is normally correct I'm sure but it isn't consistent with the side shift trannys I've seen.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:44 PM   #35
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Careful. My 46 has a plate on the firewall. The Van Pelt site is normally correct I'm sure but it isn't consistent with the side shift trannys I've seen.

There is likely a data or patent plate on the firewall, but Ford DID NOT rivet a serial number to the firewalls on '46 Fords. As far as the transmissions BEFORE 1949, they all had the serial numbers hand-stamped on the pad shown when it was attached to a V8 engine. The '32-'53 flathead V8 ENGINES never had serial numbers applied. The engines and transmissions were shipped to assembly plants as a married unit. When the engine/transmission assemblies (with the serial number stamped into the trans) were installed into a vehicle chassis, the number on the trans was hand-stamped into the chassis in three places on automobiles, and in one place on light pick-ups. All the above info is well documented. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 07:38 AM   #36
mfirth

Very nice 46, God bless your Grandpa !
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote