Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-31-2022, 08:31 PM   #1141
sugarmaker

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

cas3, Folks,
Yea the rust holes eat at me too. But I like the original look of this ragged ol' truck as it is. I dont think I would do good on matching the patina colors. Now maybe painting the complete door from the belt line down and getting close? Well maybe??? With a lot of trial and error and luck and some good paint mixing.

I do have some areas I am going to try to repair on the fenders and running board. Maybe that will make me feel better! Paint matching will not be as much of a concern on those areas.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 10:10 PM   #1142
GB SISSON

Not all that hard... Flat paint is the key. Cornstarch does that and some good color on primer underneath. Flatter the better. Thin overlay with latex house paint with or without denatured alcohol for crazing or a few iron filings.....Hollywood set painters are the masters. Hey if your recipe doesn't 'hold up', neither does real patina. It changes with time if left out in the open. I keep mine shedded. Buff out the wear areas with a piece of an old burlap sack. You know that oily smell. And don't ever clear coat your patina. Dead give-away with the evenly coated semi gloss sheen. End of rant. Your washington blue should work out ok Chris. I can tell you want to fix the rust. Here's recent tailgate repair I did adding the bottom of tailgate with some strap steel and black iron pipe from the hardware store. This is the after picture.

Edit: Was thinking of flat blue paint and I though of military aircraft. Flat blue. Look at Tamiya military colors. Mix with some flat white etc to get your color. Then play.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tailgate paint 3.jpg (144.0 KB, 34 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 01-31-2022 at 10:21 PM.
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 10:15 PM   #1143
Newc

Hi; I used to repair those doors frequently- hinge pins lock up and break the doors. Later pins have a spiral oil grove in them and a oiling notch in the body hinge for oil. In very late '34 truck doors, I have found factory reinforcing braces at the lower hinge mount. I had half-door skins made with 3/4" double direction crown in them, but the cheap repops put me out of that business. At one time I had the bottoms. top plates, verticle felt channels, inspection plates ,bottom seal channels, and half door skins fabricated. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 07:11 PM   #1144
sugarmaker

Gary, Newc, folks,
Yea your right. The rust repair is gnawing at me a little. Have never done a door and don't want to screw it up. My skills as a body man are somewhat lacking.
Gary your tailgate look awesome! Nice work matching the patina look.

New,
You have a lot of knowledge in these doors and components! I did find the hinge reinforcing brace in the doors too!

Friend Gerry came over and he and I put the felts in both doors, and the soft foam in the upper door covers. Glass in the channels was recommended to assure the fit. I choose to use a piece of luan plywood. Cut it 1/8 wider than the glass, and 48 inches long. This worked good to be assured the felts were in place, and the glass should work correctly.
Prototype dry run trial with the plywood:

Gerry holding the bottom while I gooped the upper portion of the felt backing. Then moved it into location.

Got both the felts in place with glue and use the plywood tool to assure the fit:

Same on passengers side:

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 02-01-2022 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-01-2022, 09:56 PM   #1145
GB SISSON

Gotta love a guy who makes his truck repair tools outa wood!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 10:51 PM   #1146
Tinker

If you are doing a full restore? Why not unbolt it to the frame and do all metal and paint it? I think it looks very cool now. The doors do have some other issues from previous pictures.

It is possible to blend it in with a metal mix. Eager to see how it turns out.

Interesting patches on the tractor. It's all just metal, and a bit of bondo. You a tig guy or a mig guy?

Nice work.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:11 AM   #1147
sugarmaker

Gary,
Thanks! Just another crazy idea to complete the task at hand. Most of the time I way over think things. Probably could have applied the adhesive and jammed the felts in there and all would have been good too.

Tinker, Folks,
No I am not doing a full restoration on the 32 dump. For one I dont have a extra $50K setting around. Second, I am getting old and lazy. Third, I want to drive it some, as it looks when I found it.
I have repaired some small door issues (welding, patching). At least to the best of my abilities. But there are additional areas that could use some attention. I may go back to the rusted area at some later date. For now we move forward towards spring.

I have a old Mig That I use for sheet metal repairs. I have never tried to Tig weld. Would like to try that someday.

Yep its either nuts and bolts or metal and filler!

Got my Bob Drake dovetail for the door, from Summit yesterday. Just another little detail to try to make the truck happy.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 02-02-2022, 07:00 PM   #1148
sugarmaker

Ford Barn Folks,
Ford related back on track today! Got the rubber parts from Joe's and installed them.
Side bumper:

Window stop:

Here we go. Slid the glass/ track assembly down into the new felts with no issues:

Drivers door done. Placed the top of the door back on with the soft rubber cushion:

Completed passengers side:

Really happy I did both of them. Looks good! One detail I did not do which could have been better, I did not get the bedding rubber that had the seal lip, that goes against the door. Now I can see that would have been better. All in all I am pleased. And If the weather improves I could go for a ride!

Got the new Bob Drake Dovetail and installed it on the drivers door. Where the original was missing. (it was very shiny chrome when it arrived)

While inside the door I remember what someone said about the hinge bracing being on later trucks. This is not a good picture but both doors have the braces inside at the lower hinge. Are these the braces in question? Or are these standard 32 inside door bracing??

Maybe these doors came from another Washington blue truck that had the exterior painted? But here is a detail I see on the doors. There is a faint yellow pinstripe on both doors at the same place. Anyone have a clue about trucks with pinstripes? The rest of the cowl and hood do not have pinstripes?

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 02-02-2022 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-02-2022, 07:19 PM   #1149
flatford8

“No I am not doing a full restoration on the 32 dump.”
Chris my friend, I think you got this !!!.........Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:31 PM   #1150
Newc

About that internal lower hinge brace- I've only seen them on late '34 doors, so a win again for your truck. Next a spiral oil grove on your pins and an oil notch on the top inside of the body hinges, and you'll be set forever. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 08:15 PM   #1151
sugarmaker

Thanks Mark,
Yep about time to fire up Billy Joe! Just spent a hour listening to various versions of his "ragged ol' truck" song! That should keep me going for several days!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 02-02-2022, 08:26 PM   #1152
sugarmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newc View Post
About that internal lower hinge brace- I've only seen them on late '34 doors, so a win again for your truck. Next a spiral oil grove on your pins and an oil notch on the top inside of the body hinges, and you'll be set forever. Newc
Newc,
One of the hinge pins, passengers side lower, I believe, had the spiral oil groove. I did not notice it on the others?? I also don't know where the oil notch is? Will have to look for that too! The plot thickens!

So do you think these are 34 doors?? It may start to explain or add to the story of the ragged ol' truck!

I also think I know why this passenger side door rusted out. There was a tar paper material stuck to the inside of the outer skin of the door in about this area. Some remains of this material are in the drivers door. I believe this became full of dirt and moisture and maybe fell down and plugged the drain holes in that center area of the door. Ford did not do a good job of determining the potential failure mode of that material in the door design! FMEA (Failure Modes and Effects Analysis)
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 02-02-2022, 09:13 PM   #1153
cmbrucew

Chris
That tar paper material was for sound deadening I was told. Both my 50 F1's had it.

Bruce
Old 02-03-2022, 09:55 AM   #1154
sugarmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbrucew View Post
Chris
That tar paper material was for sound deadening I was told. Both my 50 F1's had it.
Bruce
Bruce, Folks,
Yes I would agree that that material was probably applied to keep the doors from rattling!

Anyone have the source for the weather stripping along the bottom of the inside door edge? This rubber (I think) butts up to the cab sill. and fills a 1/2 inch gap. Mine is all crusty and mostly gone. Not sure how it is fastened to the door? Still learning here!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 02-03-2022 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-03-2022, 10:32 AM   #1155
sidevalve8ba

C & G has them.

https://cgfordparts.com/lower-door-s...p-b-80230.html
sidevalve8ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 10:34 AM   #1156
al's28/33

Chris,
Another website "Macs Auto Parts" might have those rubber strips. I got them for my '33 and it will help seal up the bottom of the doors against the cab floor. They slide in a special channel on the door bottom, but yours might be rusted away.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 12:50 PM   #1157
sugarmaker

Sidevalve8ba, Al, Folks
Thank you for the link to the parts and also the method that they fit the door My doors are very rusty in that area. Might not be good to try to replace those. But it sure would tighten the cab a little better!

On C&G site I see they have rebuild vacuum wiper motors ($189) and your core. I need to evaluate mine at some point. for function and or rebuild. Anyone rebuild there own from a kit? If there is a kit?? Just another little project that would be good to have done at some point too.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 02-03-2022 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-03-2022, 02:15 PM   #1158
DavidG

Chris,

Restoring your windshield wiper motor is a good DIY project, winter or summer. I would not purchase a rebuild kit until you have taken the wiper motor apart as all it may need is a cleaning, lubrication, and new gaskets. The condition of the paddle attached to the shaft (inside) and the condition of the inside of die cast housing will govern what you will need in the way of parts.

Judging from the photo of the bottom of your right door in your post #1136, the channel for the door bottom weatherstrip appears to be usable. Michael also sells the rubber weatherstrip for the door bottoms.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 04:23 PM   #1159
sugarmaker

David,
Thanks for your recommendations on the wiper motor. I will take it apart first, before I get to excited about replacing it. And I will contact 3rd Gen in the door seals too I will keep chipping at the 32 and a few improvements will happen! We are in a winter storm, very nice! My feet are warm from the floor in the shop. Yea it's tough in here!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 02-03-2022, 07:31 PM   #1160
al's28/33

The whole East Coast is getting pelted again with freezing rain and snow and we "Out West" are turning into tumbleweeds with another dry spell.
Your new windows look great Chris. I took my wiper motor apart and cleaned it up with new gaskets and it works well, but I just never take my truck out when it's raining or even thick fog, it might get wet!!! HA HA HA
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote