Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-26-2018, 12:44 AM   #1
Kpar

Default Shipping Costs

Well over the years have purchased spares from Bob Drake and always found good service & quality.
Requested a quote for a Stromberg carby riser !/2
' block 2 gaskets & bolts. A very small package.
Quoted price
Carburetor Spacer, Phenolic; fits 1934-38 Stromberg In Stock
1 $25.00
Subtotal $25.00
Freight $156.74
Tax $0.00
Order Total $181.74 USD/ AUD well over $200.
The woes of living down under.
Keith
Kpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:57 AM   #2
Phil Gillespie

Default Re: Shipping Costs

Try Michael at 3rd Generation as I have recently made some purchases from him and found them pretty reasonable and efficient.
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:04 AM   #3
deuce lover

Must have been by express mail.Request USPS Priority which is $36.75.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:04 AM   #4
Hoop

Even in the States you have to be wary. The Bob Drake catalog weighs 3 1/4 lbs. On my last order they quoted the shipping THEN asked if I wanted their free catalog.

Almost doubled my shipping. My fault, of course ... really didn't need it, but it was free.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:23 AM   #5
jimTN

Just look at the shipping costs on ebay. There is apparently no rhyme or reason on how they are set except they are outrageous.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:47 AM   #6
fortyfords

High shipping costs have ruined more deals for me than the price of something.
fortyfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:57 AM   #7
Hoop

I would not link eBay with high shipping costs. In fact, eBay enables sellers to ship at discounted rates which are passed on to the buyer as long as the seller is accurate on the shipping weight.

Further, many sellers are aware that Free Shipping is very attractive and boosts sales. Much of what I buy is Free Shipping ... a model that Amazon uses in their Prime program.

I'm currently awaiting a 2-stroke carburetor. Shipping is 99 cents.

Ebay and sellers know that high shipping costs slow activity. I'm not saying you have not encountered high costs, but it is not the fault of eBay.

There are many sellers that do not try to use the least expensive shippers ... for numerous reasons.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:20 AM   #8
skidmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
I would not link eBay with high shipping costs. In fact, eBay enables sellers to ship at discounted rates which are passed on to the buyer as long as the seller is accurate on the shipping weight.

Further, many sellers are aware that Free Shipping is very attractive and boosts sales. Much of what I buy is Free Shipping ... a model that Amazon uses in their Prime program.

I'm currently awaiting a 2-stroke carburetor. Shipping is 99 cents.

Ebay and sellers know that high shipping costs slow activity. I'm not saying you have not encountered high costs, but it is not the fault of eBay.

There are many sellers that do not try to use the least expensive shippers ... for numerous reasons.
I sold a.set of headlights, weight and size correct and entered when the auction was listed. Winning bidder was quoted by the ebay listing of $39 ups ground. I created my own lable with my own ups account and cost $21 which i corrected on the ebay invoice

So ebay is accurate? I dont think so because they charge a percentage to the seller for shipping fees

Ebay ruined itself
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:26 AM   #9
Hoop

"I sold a.set of headlights, weight and size correct and entered when the auction was listed. Winning bidder was quoted by the ebay listing of $39 ups ground. I created my own lable with my own ups account and cost $21 which i corrected on the ebay invoice."

It's called debating by use of an exception. I've bought and sold quite a bit on eBay. I'm familiar with the shipping.

I would warn folks not to use UPS as offered through eBAy. EVER.

Maybe you know why and would like to explain the entire eBay/UPS shipping deal to the folks here. Not sure why you'd use eBay's UPS in the first place.

I'll stick with my comments and acknowledge that there are exceptions ... not looking for an argument.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:31 AM   #10
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I've always gotten discounted rates on the items I have sold on ebay.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:41 AM   #11
Karl Wescott

If the Drake quote included brokerage then it was likely pretty fair. International shipping by post office usually allows the end customer to settle customs with the post office and avoids (expensive) broker fees, however there are weight and size limitations.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:48 AM   #12
redmodelt

I have debated giving the discount to the buyer but in truth, that discount helps cover the fee for paying thru ebay and pay-pal esp as they charge a few on the postage cost. Much of the stuff I sell is break even/recoup after fees or on the - side. You are right about using the ebay/ups calculator for shipping cost. Problem is we don't know where it will be shipped to when the ad is create. The only way around would be to calculate the price to the other side of the US (Oregon to New York for example) or add a shipping fee and charge a flat rate price.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:51 PM   #13
Karl

Keith - Especially for us down under its is getting ridiculous

You can mitigate it a bit by getting a forwarding address in the States . I use Shipito.com
They get bulk shipping rates . I brought a large 1910 picnic set for the back of the Hupmobile on Ebay . The seller was in Florida and shipping to New Zealand was quoted at $1200. I sent it to Shipito in Nevada for $80 and they forwarded to me via Fedex for $350 . Still hurts but less so .

I have also noted that many of the parts houses ship in oversized boxes . Since we are paying on volume its annoying to receive a large package which is 90% crumbled paper and 10% order. I have tried to talk to them about it but in the end I just moved on as nothing changed.

Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:03 PM   #14
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wescott View Post
If the Drake quote included brokerage then it was likely pretty fair. International shipping by post office usually allows the end customer to settle customs with the post office and avoids (expensive) broker fees, however there are weight and size limitations.
On my previous orders the postage Drakes charges doesn't include brokerage.
In reality ( at least in New Zealand ) brokerage and customs /import taxes don't kick in until a certain value is reached or I do something dumb ! For example if I send parts to my work (a medical centre) Customs think that I am importing them to sell (cause that's what medical centres do -Import antique car parts to sell -go figure !) and charge me duty -Arguing with a Government pen pusher is pointless. If I ship it to me Care of the medical centre then no problems

Always interesting to compare the charged postage with what is on the outside of the package - Never the same

Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:15 PM   #15
JSeery
Member Emeritus

And I've gotten to where I won't order most items unless they ship free! I'd never survive!!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:34 PM   #16
35fordtn

in regards to Skidmark's post on ebay's calculations. There UPS calculator is way off. Fedex and USPS is accurate. Also keep in mind ebay keeps 10% of what you charge the customer for shipping plus you'll lose another 2.9% through PayPal. There calulated shipping take all this in account.

I have noticed shipping from large reproduction vendors has gone through the roof, with the exception of those like Dennis Carpenter that offer flat rate shipping.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:44 PM   #17
skidmarks

Im not a ebay expert, i just know that when i enter the correct size and weight and select ups ground its runs about double. I tell the potential buyers this and to wait before paying and i correct the actual cost in the invoice.
I bought a 40 ford standard grill and the listing showed a very high shipping which i think scared off other buyers and i got it really reasonable and the seller told me before i bid that he would charge me actual cost and that the calculator was way off and it was shipped fedex

Ebay is not what it use to be in many ways both good and bad
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:17 PM   #18
1931 flamingo

I would think you ought to be able to "fabricate" a spacer instead of spending that kind of money??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:30 PM   #19
my4dv8

Often online pricing is way off. I recently purchased Jim Brierlys book on 4bangers online shipping quote told him $36 to New Zealand . He went to the post office and they said $12. Thanks Jim.
my4dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote