Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-17-2023, 02:17 PM   #21
hotrodcbx

Default Re: Mystery Blower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in MI View Post
E9 prefix would be 1989 so Thunderbird Super Coupe 3.8L V6.
Definitely from a Ford Super coupe, 1989 thru to 1994.. I own one...
hotrodcbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 03:01 PM   #22
Ronnieroadster

Okay time to enjoy that popcorn here goes.

Here's some fun facts and a bit of history. The ARDUN head conversion which was designed in September of 1947 was of course an improvement over a number of engine's in production at the time.

The actual designer of the ARDUN head was Mr. George Kudash whose initial's are seen on the actual blue prints from 1947. Having had the pleasure of spending time with George we talked at length about many things taking place during his time working for Zora at the the ARDUN engine company in New York City. During one of our many talks George stated that Ford motor company was offered the opportunity to get involved using the ARDUN heads for trucks. That offer he told me was declined by Ford since at the time the new 337 Flathead was going to be offered as an engine option into their line of big trucks.

Beside the offer to Ford George also remembered a number of men in suits visiting the ARDUN engine company to view the prototype ARDUN engine running on the dyno. Who they were is a mystery or maybe not.

Some further history to ponder In 1991 I had the pleasure of spending time with Zora at a gathering of ARDUN owners taking place at the Watkins Glen race track in New York. At this gathering of ARDUN owners put together by Tom Turner who found and restored Zora's pre production 1949 J-2 Allard sent to America in 49 to Zora from Sidney Allard in England minus an engine. Zora installed that ARDUN engine off that dyno and in 1951 ran it the Watkins Glen race.

Having this opportunity to spend time talking to Zora and his wife Elfi I had a few questions to ask Zora one was how many sets of heads were produced and another question did anyone copy the conversion. The answer to the second question was given by Zora's wife she told me that one time in the early fifty's while driving along with Zora there was a large advertising billboard that displayed the new production Dodge Hemi engine. Upon seeing this billboard display Zora said to his wife Elfi look there's my engine. So those men in suits viewing that ARDUN on the dyno years earlier who were they?

Now one has to wonder what might have been had Ford decided to go with the offer for the ARDUN heads. Ford would have had an overhead many years before the Y block.
The flathead production may have come to end had that taken place however no matter the Ford flathead by that time and well into the fifty's and early sixty's was still an engine worth building modifying and racing back then just as it is still to this day in the 21st century.

Ronniroadster owner of a number of flathead Ford V-8 engine both stock and modified a number of which are record holders at well over 200 MPH. And also the happy owner of a number of ARDUNS as well from stock to modified a few of which also hold records well over 200 MPH. Vintage engines rule some of mine have put a few small block agent orange engine's to shame in many ways.
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH

Last edited by Ronnieroadster; 11-17-2023 at 06:09 PM.
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 03:19 PM   #23
47topless

Thank you for posting that history lesson. So many mysteries yet to be solved, or not.
Really a fun piece.
Now it's down to the NAPA store to order me one of those Ardun things.
47topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 03:55 PM   #24
tubman

The early hemi's were too expensive even for Chrysler, so they quit producing them in favor of the various "wedge" engines ("A" and "B" series). Given the attitude at Ford during this period, I highly doubt that the would have even considered producing such an expensive, complicated engine.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 04:26 PM   #25
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
Having this opportunity to spend time talking to Zora and his wife Effy I had a few questions to ask Zora one was how many sets of heads were produced and another question did anyone copy the conversion.

Vintage engines rule some of mine have put a few "small block agent orange engines" to shame in many ways.

"SMALL BLOCK AGENT ORANGE ENGINES" ..... Now that is funny as hell!

Minor correction here .... I had the opportunity to meet Zora and his lovely bride on two separate occasions at Corvette get-togethers around the country quite a few years back. Her name is actually "Elfi". The charming Elfi and Zora seen BELOW!

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 04:47 PM   #26
petehoovie

Quote:
Some further history to ponder In 1991 I had the pleasure of spending time with Zora at a gathering of ARDUN owners taking place at the Watkins Glen race track in New York. At this gathering of ARDUN owners put together by Tom Turner who found and restored Zora's pre production 1949 J-2 Allard sent to America in 49 to Zora from Sidney Allard in England minus an engine. Zora installed that ARDUN engine off that dyno and in 1951 ran it the Watkins Glen race.

J2 SPECIFICATIONS

Years Produced: 1949 to 1952
Quantity Produced: 94
Existing: 82 (87%)
Length: 148"
Wheelbase: 100"
Track: 56" Front / 52" Rear
Steering: Marles
Front Suspension: Divided Front Axle
Rear Suspension: deDion
Weight: 1,700 pounds (dry)
Wheels: 16"
Tires: 16 x 5"
Fuel Capacity: 20 imp gallons
Engine: Ford-Ardun / Cadillac / Lincoln

SUCCESSES

1950 Le Mans, 3rd
1950 Watkins Glen, 1st
NOTABLE DRIVERS

Sydney Allard
Tom Cole
Peter Collins
Zora Arkus Duntov
Phil Hill
Al Moss
Bill Pollack
Carroll Shelby
Fred Wacker
...and many more...
History/driving impressions originally published in AutoWeek September 2, 1985 When Sidney Allard introduced the Allard J2 in 1949, it was to be powered by war surplus Mercury flathead V-8s. It wasn’t a bad engine as flatheads go, producing 110 bhp and certainly better than the flathead English Ford Pivot V-8 of the J1 of 1946-47, […]

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 06:05 PM   #27
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post

J2 SPECIFICATIONS

Years Produced: 1949 to 1952
Quantity Produced: 94
Existing: 82 (87%)
Length: 148"
Wheelbase: 100"
Track: 56" Front / 52" Rear
Steering: Marles
Front Suspension: Divided Front Axle
Rear Suspension: deDion
Weight: 1,700 pounds (dry)
Wheels: 16"
Tires: 16 x 5"
Fuel Capacity: 20 imp gallons
Engine: Ford-Ardun / Cadillac / Lincoln

SUCCESSES

1950 Le Mans, 3rd
1950 Watkins Glen, 1st
NOTABLE DRIVERS

Sydney Allard
Tom Cole
Peter Collins
Zora Arkus Duntov
Phil Hill
Al Moss
Bill Pollack
Carroll Shelby
Fred Wacker
...and many more...
History/driving impressions originally published in AutoWeek September 2, 1985 When Sidney Allard introduced the Allard J2 in 1949, it was to be powered by war surplus Mercury flathead V-8s. It wasn’t a bad engine as flatheads go, producing 110 bhp and certainly better than the flathead English Ford Pivot V-8 of the J1 of 1946-47, […]
Excellent information. The ARDUN presently in the Duntov Allard is one I built some time back. Having had the pleasure of driving the Allard during my time tuning the engine it was certainly exciting being a right hand drive car something I'm not used to doing.
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Old 11-17-2023, 06:08 PM   #28
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
"SMALL BLOCK AGENT ORANGE ENGINES" ..... Now that is funny as hell!

Minor correction here .... I had the opportunity to meet Zora and his lovely bride on two separate occasions at Corvette get-togethers around the country quite a few years back. Her name is actually "Elfi". The charming Elfi and Zora seen BELOW!

Coop

Coop Thanks for the correct spelling of Elfi I will correct my post.
Old 11-17-2023, 06:11 PM   #29
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47topless View Post
Thank you for posting that history lesson. So many mysteries yet to be solved, or not.
Really a fun piece.
Now it's down to the NAPA store to order me one of those Ardun things.

No need to head off to NAPA give me a call I can hook you up with one them there ARDUN things. However more than a credit card is needed for a purchase of one or more.
Ronnieroadster
Old 11-20-2023, 02:10 PM   #30
alchemy

Glad I didn’t skip over this thread after I scrolled down and saw the newish sideways blower. Lots of cool info published here.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 11:18 AM   #31
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
The early hemi's were too expensive even for Chrysler, so they quit producing them in favor of the various "wedge" engines ("A" and "B" series). Given the attitude at Ford during this period, I highly doubt that the would have even considered producing such an expensive, complicated engine.
I picked up a book a few years ago that describes the attitude of Ford executives around 1950. It seems they wanted to drop the flathead and only make 6 cyl. engines! The book's author, a newly hired executive, reminded them that the flathead V8 was what set Ford apart from Chevy and Plymouth, etc.
So they certainly would not have been interested in the ARDUN design!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 02:16 AM   #32
32coupe

Quote:
So those men in suits viewing that ARDUN on the dyno years earlier who were they?

Now one has to wonder what might have been had Ford decided to go with the offer for the ARDUN heads.
Agreed, Kinda of funny that a early hemi intake will bolt right on a Ardun engine. Zora is also the reason that we have a 327 chevy and the Famous DZ 302 chevy engine.
32coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 07:31 AM   #33
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32coupe View Post
Agreed, Kinda of funny that a early hemi intake will bolt right on a Ardun engine. Zora is also the reason that we have a 327 chevy and the Famous DZ 302 chevy engine.
Are you sure? I have a couple of early Chrysler hemi's and although the intake ports do look similar, the heat riser and water passages (I'm talking "wet" intake manifolds here) don't seem to be compatible at all. I'd be surprised if the ports match up, given the larger size of the Chryslers.

If you're talking Dodge or DeSoto, I am out of my league.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 04:11 PM   #34
nickthebandit

IIRC, Zora Arcus Duntov's Allard is now owned by Jerry Lettieri of Rocky Hill, Connecticut
nickthebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 05:28 PM   #35
Ol' Ron

I Yeald to RR, when it comes to blown engines and Arduns. There are very few people on earth that has his Knowledge on this subject. My only sucess with a blown engine was a 294ci short block i built for Ron Hurell. It produced 177hp at 3500 unblown and 245 at 4500 with 3.5 lbs of boost. It;s still in his truck and he drives it most of the time in the warner days. Blower is a magnason with Eaton blower/ Dyno run was stopped at 4500. He said that was enough power. Svared the crap out of me!!
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote