Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-19-2023, 09:39 AM   #1
1931stdcoupe

Default Sta-Bil 360

Does anybody use Sta-Bil 360 or something similar to combat the effects of ethanol in gasoline?
Thanks
Joe in New Hampshire
1931stdcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 09:43 AM   #2
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Sta-Bil 360

I've used Star Brite with good results. I've since switched over to using non-ethanol gasoline.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 11:23 AM   #3
jg61hawk

In my experience the Model A runs fine on 10% Ethanol, the problem is the Ethanol Gas can go bad faster and also absorbs water from the air, eventually causing "phase separation"...wherein the water drops out and then you have problems. best thing to do is run the car often and refuel often. If this can't be done then I would look to marine grade products like Star Brite.

Read the labels, I think Stabil says it too prevents Phase Separation. I would add some Marvel Mystery Oil to the fuel to help keep things soft.

https://www.amazon.com/STAR-BRITE-En...980154937&th=1
jg61hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 11:47 AM   #4
Big hammer

When I fill up at home I use ethanol free gasoline, when I’am away from home and use a unknown gas I only put enough to get me home. I’ve noticed a difference in performance with different brands, only issues on the road has been water in the gas spitting sputtering missing, a little gasoline dryer and drove home. Sometimes I will use MMO and once in awhile Stabil over the winter ( when I remember) . If you have a few gallons of crappy gas fill up with good gas a few oz of MMO and go for a long drive !!! Enjoy the drive !
Old 09-19-2023, 12:12 PM   #5
Banditorama

Corn alcohol has no place in a car's fuel tank. Especially not in cars that aren't daily drivers.

https://www.pure-gas.org/ will show you places near you that sell real gasoline. In my opinion, its worth going out of your way to keep that junk out of your fuel system
Banditorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 02:54 PM   #6
1931stdcoupe

Thanks to all of you who answered my inquiry. I have some Star-Brite on order now (never heard of it before), it's gonna be delivered tomorrow.
The only non-ethanol gas I could find in southern New Hampshire is 100 octane racing gas at $14/gallon. Isn't gonna happen!
Joe in NH
Old 09-19-2023, 03:18 PM   #7
Banditorama

At that price, I can't blame you lol

I know all the gas stations near any of the lakes around me carry ethanol free gas at the pump. Usually its 91 octane and anywhere from 50 to 75 cents more than E10 gas. If you've got any lakes near you, I'd try calling nearby gas stations to see if they have it
Banditorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 04:12 PM   #8
rich40701

I have been using Sta-Bil 360 in my boat for several years. It is the marine version of Sta-Bil if I remember correctly it is good for fuel storage up to 12 months. My boat isn't used often these days, only once this year so far and I never have any issues and my boat is carbureted not fuel injected. I now use it in the A as well and it sits long periods too due to me working on it and taking forever to complete each project. lol
rich40701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 05:32 PM   #9
Gene F

Lot of good comments here above. I typically use premium grade fuel because it breaks down WWWAAAAYYYYY slower. However, before winter I tend to treat my fuel with Sta-bil. I also like to fill the radiator and start the car every 6 to 8 weeks and let it run for 15 or 20 minutes then drain the water back out. Being aware of a fuel strategy, and starting the car every once in a while is way easier than dealing with the problems later.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 06:57 PM   #10
jg61hawk

1931, Nice that you replied and updated...I hope you didn't order from the link I posted...that bad boy treats over 2,000 gallons...Hmmm. Model A 10 gallon tank= 200 tank fills...at 150 miles per tank = 30,000 miles of Model A fun! Probably not in my lifetime! Just having some fun... my point is yes us great unwashed here in the east have no ethanol free gas...so use something to prevent ethanol problems...Star Brite Marine is probably the "Harley Davidson" of the products.

I see your post number is low so I assume you are new...Marvel Mystery Oil is good stuff in the fuel. Why? It's a mystery...I also put about a shot glass in the radiator... I do it to my new cars too. Some say it's snake oil, some say it cures all...I love the stuff. I never add to the oil, just my preference. I don't like stuff in my Valvoline Racing Oil.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Marvel-My...8&gclsrc=3p.ds

Last edited by jg61hawk; 09-20-2023 at 07:06 PM.
jg61hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 07:42 PM   #11
Keith True

I don't know why I don't have any of these problems.I pump gas in the car,and drive it until it needs more.If I think the car might sit I will try and remember to put something in the gas.If it's only going to sit for 6 or 8 months I don't bother with anything.I started out in the early 70's working on tractors,then old trucks,and old cars.I've seen plenty of plugged fuel systems,no more now than I saw 45 years ago.Just drive it,pretty soon you will forget all about a solution looking for a problem.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 10:35 PM   #12
1931stdcoupe

Thank you for the kind words Hawk. I purchased the smallest size available of Star-Brite, I didn't have room to store the 55 gallon drum size ;-)
I am new to the Ford Barn, but I am not a stranger to Marvel Mystery oil. I have owned my coupe for 50 years and started a body off restoration back then. Well life and family took precedence over the Model A. I just got back into trying to restore it this summer.
Thanks again,
Joe in New Hampshire
Old 09-21-2023, 09:46 AM   #13
David in San Antonio

Fun fact: “Snake Oil” originally referred to the folk remedy made from snakes, and was considered legit. The bad reputation came from traveling snake oil salesmen who peddled phony snake oil, not the real thing.
Alamo A’s Club
David in San Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 01:53 PM   #14
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
I've used Star Brite with good results. I've since switched over to using non-ethanol gasoline.
I'm with Tim. StarBrite is the better product.

Plus we are lucky here we can buy pure gasoline no alcohol and the difference in how the old cars run and idle, is like night and day. It is well worth the extra 50-60 cents a gallon. Your Ethanol would be that price if the Fed wasn't subsidizing the hell out of it.

Pure Gas. Fill it to the top. StarBrite, MMO. Unbeatable winter storage combo.

And I might add banditorama is right-on. The Germans banned crap ethanol gas years ago their reasoning is 'Food is to be used for people and animals, NOT CARS.

You can't argue with that.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 03:22 PM   #15
TomInCologne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post

<snip>

The Germans banned crap ethanol gas years ago their reasoning is 'Food is to be used for people and animals, NOT CARS.

You can't argue with that.

Did they? That may be news to the Germans...
TomInCologne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 03:35 PM   #16
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in San Antonio View Post
Fun fact: “Snake Oil” originally referred to the folk remedy made from snakes, and was considered legit. The bad reputation came from traveling snake oil salesmen who peddled phony snake oil, not the real thing.
Do you have a reliable source for that "fun fact"? I've always heard that "snake oil" has always referred to scam products, from old time traveling salesmen to modern-day essential oils, etc.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 08:21 PM   #17
Brad in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
And I might add banditorama is right-on. The Germans banned crap ethanol gas years ago their reasoning is 'Food is to be used for people and animals, NOT CARS.
....ummm, I was just in Germany (and France) last week and filled up with E10 gasoline just about every day. E10 in Europe contains a maximum of 10% bioethanol by volume in addition to fossil petrol. Most gas stations in Europe offer both E10 and E5 gasoline.

So not sure where you are getting your facts about the gasoline in Germany, but it is fake news.

Brad in Maryland
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote