Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-27-2015, 06:25 PM   #21
hardtimes

Default Re: axle threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930artdeco View Post
Wow thanks for the info guys. Since this is a spare axle I am in no hurry to fix it. But, it looks like I have some options for repairs and a replacement option. That is an original nut and it went on quite stiffly(?). And if for some reason I need to pull the RE out of the car then I have those axles which are still good. Eventually I may get a another axle just in case though. We are still trying to figure out how they destroyed the threads like that....

Mike
Hey Mike,
I'd re-read what Pete has to say and take it to heart, where axles/safety are concerned !
Also, if 'threads' are messed up on an 80 year old Model A axle, the next thing that I'd examine will be the TAPER condition, then maybe for cracks. You will probably find that that taper is worn also. Maybe, even to the point that the use of 'shims' (plural) may not even help. If this is the case, you may have drum running against backer plate and wondering why. Please do not believe that the two parts (hub/axle) are held in place and torqued so that the AXLE KEY is what drives this assembly !! This would be/could be a fatal mistake, as Pete infers. Look into subject of 'lapping axle to hub' to see what I'm saying. Also, look into what torque was/is used for Ford axle nuts. Certainly not 70 lbs ! At that torque, yeah you probably will be depending on the axle key to take the 'load'...good luck with that ! If you decide to go with light torque and no lapping , after a short while, try re-torqueing and you will see for yourself. Safety first,eh ! As far as using inferior (to Fords) vendor axle nuts...hey, why not, we use a lot of other inferior repop stuff in our As. I'll stick with original Ford axle nuts or maybe ARP. Good luck

Last edited by hardtimes; 01-27-2015 at 06:27 PM. Reason: .......
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote