Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-08-2024, 12:38 PM   #21
ronn

Default Re: Prices going through the roof?

Brent, as Ive alluded to many times in the past- you are in a whole different drivers seat from most of us.
Not that that is a bad thing. You have a totally diff perspective to the hobby and know more about model As then the majority of us combined, will ever know.
I just state my facts and opinions from keen observation of the last 50 yrs. My father bought a T when I was 9 yrs old and Ive been hooked like a bass since. Not a day goes by that Im not on ebay, Ford Barn, FB or CL. I am always roaming the media
and come to my own conclusions.
When you look at a car, you see tons of work that needs to be performed, from a restorers eye. I look at cars quite differently. I accept worn out paint, or bald tires as "nuances" or patina if you will.
So as Keith from Hampshire says, if you guys dont want to buy, there are always plenty of rodders that will pay. I am in his camp. Everything has potential, from a rust bucket to the best in the country. Its all in perspective of the viewer......
I dont look at everything needing a restoration. As a matter of fact, I prefer weathered worn and old.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 02:07 PM   #22
ModelA29

When I was shopping (Sept 22) ALL the cars in SoCal were being snapped up by flippers. They'd buy anything and add $5-10 grand to the price. Junkers were 8,000 and a decent looking car was 25+. I found my coupe 200 miles away at 15 delivered I couldn't squawk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ad.jpg (37.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg CROP 29A.jpg (91.8 KB, 43 views)
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 05:07 PM   #23
burner31

[QUOTE=ronn;2282192]I completely agree Brent, materials are crazy. esp paint...........

Way back in the day I worked at Earl Sheib's body and paint, and yes, we would paint any car for $19.99...what the hell happened?
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 06:42 PM   #24
ronn

burner- you painted some of my cars (sheib) and when I went to pick them up I said............

what the hell happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! did you guys use a mop?
Old 01-08-2024, 07:02 PM   #25
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
burner- you painted some of my cars (sheib) and when I went to pick them up I said............

what the hell happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! did you guys use a mop?
LMFAO... I remember going with my Aunt to pick up her mid 50's Buick from Earl Scheib. They painted the car alright... wheel, tires, everything. Looked like a big gray whale.

I didn't know Earl Scheib was still in business until I just now goggles them.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 01:18 AM   #26
lrf

Let's see; an interior is $5000, a paint job is $5000, an engine is $5000. So a $20,000 Model A is $5000 for the completed body, fenders, etc. Suddenly, it's seems that that $20000 is a deal! IMO. LRF
lrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 08:56 AM   #27
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrf View Post
Let's see; an interior is $5000, a paint job is $5000, an engine is $5000. So a $20,000 Model A is $5000 for the completed body, fenders, etc. Suddenly, it's seems that that $20000 is a deal! IMO. LRF
This is where I think a lot of people do not understand...

Is an interior really $5k? It is easy to look at a catalog and see an upholstery kit is $3k-$4k, ...however we often tend to overlook items such painting the Mouldings, buying new seat springs, fabricating new seat wood, replacing the glass, floor mats/carpet, door & window crank handles, other deteriorated wood (which causes upholstery tacking issues), etc. This also does not factor in any labor if someone needs professional assistance doing the install.

In today's economy, decent paint & materials alone will likely cost in excess of $5k, -BUT, when we are budgeting we tend to forget about the costs of stripping the old paint or rust, plus costs for any sheetmetal repairs needed. Also, budgeteers must factor in Wood since that is approaching 100 years old and generally needs attention too.

This thing about engine being $5k, ...yes however it is the little things (new water pump, hoses, clamps, fan belt, new exh manifold, distributor rebuilt or replaced, carburetor rebuilt, bolts & fasteners, and so on where before you know it, you've well exceeded that $5k budget in that department too.

We also forgot to factor in other areas of safety such as Brakes, Steering, Tires & tubes, Electrical, etc. which all adds up very quickly.

My point is all of these items I have listed above are requirements (-at least in my view) to have what folks generally would consider a 'decent' Model-A that can go on drives & tours without causing stress for the driver and occupants. Both Buyers and Sellers who understand this realize that the day of the $10k, -or even $15k Model-A is not reality any longer.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 09:16 AM   #28
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrf View Post
** I just saw Bret mentioned this as well.

If you can paint a car for $5,000 with all the necessary product, then you are lucky. Decent product alone is close to if not more than $5,000 these days.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 12:42 PM   #29
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
This is where I think a lot of people do not understand...

Is an interior really $5k? It is easy to look at a catalog and see an upholstery kit is $3k-$4k, ...however we often tend to overlook items such painting the Mouldings, buying new seat springs, fabricating new seat wood, replacing the glass, floor mats/carpet, door & window crank handles, other deteriorated wood (which causes upholstery tacking issues), etc. This also does not factor in any labor if someone needs professional assistance doing the install.

In today's economy, decent paint & materials alone will likely cost in excess of $5k, -BUT, when we are budgeting we tend to forget about the costs of stripping the old paint or rust, plus costs for any sheetmetal repairs needed. Also, budgeteers must factor in Wood since that is approaching 100 years old and generally needs attention too.

This thing about engine being $5k, ...yes however it is the little things (new water pump, hoses, clamps, fan belt, new exh manifold, distributor rebuilt or replaced, carburetor rebuilt, bolts & fasteners, and so on where before you know it, you've well exceeded that $5k budget in that department too.

We also forgot to factor in other areas of safety such as Brakes, Steering, Tires & tubes, Electrical, etc. which all adds up very quickly.

My point is all of these items I have listed above are requirements (-at least in my view) to have what folks generally would consider a 'decent' Model-A that can go on drives & tours without causing stress for the driver and occupants. Both Buyers and Sellers who understand this realize that the day of the $10k, -or even $15k Model-A is not reality any longer.

Right on point! It’s a hobby. For most of us, it’s not really an investment.

Mutual Funds average 7 to 8 percent yearly return on average.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 01:05 PM   #30
gz

So far at the Kissimmee Mecum Auction, the average price of a Model A is about 18,000-22,000.00. These are common pickups, etc. A "stock" homemade Model A speedster (not great) sold for about 22,000.00. These are basically "very average" cars. A few in the 12,000.00 range but these are rough.

Model As are still very popular with all generations!!!

Last edited by gz; 01-09-2024 at 01:25 PM.
gz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 02:35 PM   #31
jeepguy1948

I’m in wester Washington and at least around here you can get a nice Phaeton for $20k and a decent Tudor for $10K
jeepguy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 03:36 PM   #32
Brentwood Bob

How about a set of rebuilt OEM matching hydraulic shocks?
I guess price is the reason I am not seeing interest in buying mine.
Few have the need I am guessing. Mine are equivalent to several different sets of the late Robert Paul, IMHO that I have. I have been inside one of his that leaked. Have a second one coming.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 04:05 PM   #33
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentwood Bob View Post
How about a set of rebuilt OEM matching hydraulic shocks?
I guess price is the reason I am not seeing interest in buying mine.
Few have the need I am guessing. Mine are equivalent to several different sets of the late Robert Paul, IMHO that I have. I have been inside one of his that leaked. Have a second one coming.
Bob - I think the latter reason (need) is more likely. Compared to the "good old days" of the 60's and '70's, I think today there are just not that many cars being restored, at least for the first time. Back then, when you and I got started, I think probably about half the club members were actively restoring cars. Now, not so much. For example, in my current club, we have over 100 members on the roster, with probably half quite active, but there are at most a half dozen cars under restoration. The rest have already been restored, and their owners are now basking in their efforts of 40-50 years ago. I think that you've also seen the aging of the hobby as well, there are just not that many young folks (and by young I'm thinking less than say 50 years old) entering it and starting a restoration today as there were back then.

But there will always be a perhaps low but nevertheless steady need for folks who rebuild original parts. I can think of garage-based vendors for brakes, speedometers and generators who continue to provide these services, and no reason shock absorbers can't be there too.

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 08:59 PM   #34
Brentwood Bob

Thanks JayJay. I am still plugging away. I hope to be able in the near future to test each shock when completed. And preset them. Always another level of complexity to work thru.
Looking for the KRWilson test arm and test weight for same, as shown in the service bulletins.
Shocks still wear out, or leak.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 12:32 AM   #35
lrf

I hate to disagree with some here but I just bought paint, primer, reducers, thinner all for $600. The paint dealer even gave me suggestions in painting, how to set the gun, etc. A club member who has painted many a car used this acrylic enamel and praised it highly. I'm no pro at painting but I have painted one of my "A"s and it turned out very good (not for show). Good paint is out there at a somewhat reasonable price. Long gone is the $50 paint. Shop around and buy from an auto paint store, not E-bay. IMO
lrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 02:04 AM   #36
Randy in ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
Just offer them $10,000,000,since they are offering "best offer"! Of course you could be out bid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb-ob View Post
Or worst still by offering $10K you might own it !!
-
Says in the eBay writeup that the high offer is "12 millions"
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 05:10 AM   #37
ronn

I’m in wester Washington and at least around here you can get a nice Phaeton for $20k and a decent Tudor for $10K

same in NJ and most everywhere.

these threads are always focused on todays costs to do a job on your A. The numbers are often correct, however, everyone looks at these cars differently.
This hobby isnt about job by job restoration for everyone here. and no, average model As dont go for 50k 100k or even 200k as some would allude.

bottom line is its far cheaper to buy the best model A you can afford then to farm out restoration. Im pretty sure everyone on here already knows that.
A good A can still be bought for 10-20k. If you think youre getting 20k for your average tudor sedan, you'll be enjoying it for a good long time.
Old 01-15-2024, 12:14 PM   #38
Brendan

i guess they don't wont to sell it

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 01:19 PM   #39
ronn

well they did create this thread............

regarding shocks- they remind me of a new roof on a house. Lots of people put the roof off till it leaks, because the gratification just isnt there for the price. Now when it comes to a new kitchen- everyone must have one.

shocks or paint? paint wins every time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2024, 03:34 PM   #40
WHN

RONN is right on.

Radiator Stone Guard, side mounted spares, trunks, cowl lights, paint, speed parts, the list goes on.

Correctly rebuilt front end and brakes, shocks, good springs, tires, gas tank issues, radiator issues. These for a lot of owners take a back seat to jewelry and shine.

From my experience and 60 plus years around these cars. I would say that by far the majority of Model A’s we see out and about need real help with there running gear.

Not only is this sad, but also unsafe.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote